kayumanggi

Weekend Numbers | Weekend Estimates | 120.5M SPIDER-MAN: ATSV | 40.6M TLM | 12.3M THE BOOGEYMAN | 10.2M GOTG III

7 minutes ago, Brainbug said:

I dont stand for Hailee Steinfeld slander. The Edge of Seventeen converted me into believing she can do no wrong. Ever. All hail the Queen!

Hide contents

hailee-steinfeld-hailee-steinfeld-hd.gifhailee-steinfeld-the-edge-of-seventeen.g

Reveal hidden contents

Agree - she and the movie are fantastic. She just feels like a bit of a nonfactor. Or maybe we'll be nice and call her underrated. 

2 minutes ago, Valonqar said:

Ronan got her first Oscar nom at the same age (also in Supporting). She's only 3 years older but since then she nabbed 3 more Oscar nominations this time in Lead. And all franchises she tried for rejected her even after her Oscar nominations, interestingly. But that dind't hurt her career. It went up up up. She's an A list.

Is there a Ronan comparison with her? Ronan runs laps and circles around Steinfeld as an actress, not sure how that could be a debate at all. 

Just now, MovieMan89 said:

Is there a Ronan comparison with her? Ronan runs laps and circles around Steinfeld as an actress, not sure how that could be a debate at all. 

Only that they both broke out as child actresses and received Oscar noms. Their career trajectories have been very different since.

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, baumer said:

Vehemently disagree. Shia was fantastic in part 3. 

It doesn't really matter but this site has pretty much hated on Transformers since the first sequel. 

I don't know what the latter part has to do with what I said. I paid to see all three Shia films in theaters, and I think Dark of the Moon still holds up for the most part. I just happened to get sick of Shia's act by then, and it doesn't negate that I don't want him back for more serious reasons than what I think of his performance in the movies. Granted, replacing him with Mark Wahlberg for the following ones I don't think made things any better.

Edited by cookie

Just now, cookie said:

I don't know what the latter part has to do with what I said. I paid to see all three Shia films in theaters, and I think Dark of the Moon still holds up for the most part. I just happened to get sick of Shia's act by then. Granted, replacing him with Mark Wahlberg for the following ones I don't think made things any better.

mark-wahlberg-what-no.gif

Spoiler

441c07b2-9cf9-43e2-bf58-6dae8ec36fa1_tex

9 minutes ago, baumer said:

Because she's bland and uninteresting and could be replaced by 50 other actresses and you wouldn't be able to tell the difference. But that's just my opinion.

I don´t think she would have continued getting so many big roles if that´s the case. Her work in Dickinson is also stellar. But agree to disagree I guess.

5 minutes ago, Valonqar said:

Ronan got her first Oscar nom at the same age (also in Supporting). She's only 3 years older but since then she nabbed 3 more Oscar nominations this time in Lead. And all franchises she tried for rejected her even after her Oscar nominations, interestingly. But that dind't hurt her career. It went up up up. She's an A list.

So the standard is Ronan, an actress that is probably going to go down as one of the greatest actress ever? Idk feels harsh, but each to their own. a

2 minutes ago, Brainbug said:

mark-wahlberg-what-no.gif

Reveal hidden contents

I don't like Wahlberg either. I haven't paid for a single film of his, and likely won't in the future. Sorry, not sorry.

1 minute ago, cookie said:

I don't like Wahlberg either. I haven't paid for a single film of his, and likely won't in the future. Sorry, not sorry.

Was a sarcastic post 😅 i found him insanely bad in TF4.

16 minutes ago, Valonqar said:

Ronan is not A list lmao

Loved the Spider Man movie, but I think it will play more like a very well received super-hero movie than a family movie like Mario. Not sure what that translates to these days, maybe a 3.2 -3.3x? Should put it right around 400m if Saturday stays around 39m. Just a hunch but sounds about right to me 

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, Notthereverseflash24 said:

Ronan is not A list lmao

She is. 4 Oscar nominations (as recent as Oscars 2020), in demand to work with famous directors (Gerwig, McQueen, Anderson). That's more A list than having none but being in a franchise or franchises that open no matter who you cast. Boxoffice isn't alpha and omega of Hollywood hierachy. 

• Disbelief 1

1 minute ago, Valonqar said:

She is. 4 Oscar nominations (as recent as Oscars 2020), in demand to work with famous directors (Gerwig, McQueen, Anderson). That's more A list than having none but being in a franchise or franchises that open no matter who you cast. Boxoffice isn't alpha and omega of Hollywood hierachy. 

She's nowhere near A/-list. And box office does talk more than awards and nominations. Awards and nominations dont put money in the bank for executives of studios. Bottom line is are people paying to see you. I know Hollywood has changed over the last decade or so and concept is way more important now than the actual actor but to say that Ronan is anywhere near an a-lister is pretty naive in my opinion. No one is putting her name at the top of a poster and people are going to run out and say holy shit we have to see the latest Ronan movie. 

• Like 8

1 hour ago, MovieMan89 said:

I thought Steinfeld’s foray into trying to be a pop star actually worked better for her than her acting pursuits. I’d make that the focus if I were her 

I feel that the industry only lets singer/actors be successful AND acclaimed in both fields if they establish themselves first as singers. When they turn to acting, it's a bonus if they are good and they aren't any less respected as musicians going forward.

The reverse doesn't seem to be true, especially if an actress does pop music, movie critics seem to treat the pop career like it's a frivolous distraction that takes the star away from the "real" art of film. And they might say it's made them too famous in the wrong way, so they can't take that person seriously anymore in acting roles. Maybe it hasn't always been true, and not every singer who tries acting succeeds with it. Then you have the Disney/Nickelodeon alums who got simultaneous pushes as singers and actors as kids, but as they grow up  their careers end up going mostly one way or the other.

1 hour ago, Notthereverseflash24 said:

Ronan is not A list lmao

Very acclaimed but she auditioned for so many franchises and lost out due to supposed lack of star power. I think her career is far better for it. Is she much of a household name outside of Ireland and maybe the UK? I have doubts.

Good hold for The Little Mermaid!

Edited by BoxOfficeFangrl
  • Like 1

i don't think Ronan is more famous than Steinfeld.  the only real hit she has to her name is little women. Steinfeld even if shes not leading hits just feels like she's in celebrity culture more.  probably a name more people know.