Rumpot

Weekdays Thread (6/5-8)

I have no idea what holds look like, but I do think in case things are soft or drops look bad that we do need to take the wildfire stuff into consideration. Movie theaters didn’t close obviously, but in a lot of places, especially New York, it was pretty awful air to get through. And I don’t think people are willing to go through Arrakis just to see a movie on a weekday. It’s not the same weather issue as a blizzard or hurricane, but I don’t think we should ignore the impacts.

It’ll likely be even worse tomorrow, so do keep that in mind for Transformers’ preview numbers.

• Like 12
  • Astonished 1

8 minutes ago, Eric 2099 said:

I have no idea what holds look like, but I do think in case things are soft or drops look bad that we do need to take the wildfire stuff into consideration. Movie theaters didn’t close obviously, but in a lot of places, especially New York, it was pretty awful air to get through. And I don’t think people are willing to go through Arrakis just to see a movie on a weekday. It’s not the same weather issue as a blizzard or hurricane, but I don’t think we should ignore the impacts.

It’ll likely be even worse tomorrow, so do keep that in mind for Transformers’ preview numbers.

As a Bay Area resident I find these days are a good time to go the theater, but perhaps different dynamics for the uninitiated 😛 

• Haha 1

7 minutes ago, Eric 2099 said:

Dune GIF by LevelInfinite

I do something like that as well. Opening Friday and Tuesdays aren't very useful to get a sense of a movie's level and trajectory, I often use the ratio to sunday or m/w/th level, or a combination to smooth out the idiosyncrasies of a specific release

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Flip said:

Thursday number will tell us just how much Transformers is hurting it

It's a toss up on what movie will be hurt most by Transformers opening today.  My theaters held all scheduled Spidey showings, but gave all the Mermaid PLF and extra showings away.  Other places may be dropping Mario or GOTG 3 showings...

If I were betting, I'd say Mario takes the biggest hit (b/c it's getting dropped, too) and Mermaid takes the 2nd biggest hit for today vs what you'd normally expect on a Thursday...

Edited by TwoMisfits

50 minutes ago, TwoMisfits said:

It's a toss up on what movie will be hurt most by Transformers opening today.  My theaters held all scheduled Spidey showings, but gave all the Mermaid PLF and extra showings away.  Other places may be dropping Mario or GOTG 3 showings...

If I were betting, I'd say Mario takes the biggest hit (b/c it's getting dropped, too) and Mermaid takes the 2nd biggest hit for today vs what you'd normally expect on a Thursday...

I don’t think it’s just about screen availability, but audience interest in general. It’s competition with some overlap I would imagine. 

I’m sure the WOM will stop it falling too hard. Little Mermaid only fell -15% in the face of Spider Verse’s $17.35m previews. 

Plus, isn’t Thursday the first day off for loads of schools? 

7 hours ago, IronJimbo & Sheldon's Son said:

A sub-50% hold would be great since wonder woman dropped 52% in 2017 versus just a 30m opener

?

The Numbers has it at a 43% drop.

Edit: has been corrected already

Edited by Austin