Eric Prime

Father’s Day/Juneteenth Weekend Thread | Flash implodes with 55M, Elemental bombs with 29M, holdovers hold atrociously | Theaters are dead, streaming is dead. Everything is dead really.

40 minutes ago, GambitPool said:

Well aside from a myriad of lessons to be learned from The Flash, maybe Hollywood needs to understand that nobody wants to see old, depressed, defeated versions of their childhood heroes anymore.  

Han in TFA began the fracture in the Star Wars fan base while Luke shattered it in half. From the trailers, Keaton appeared to be in a retired, depressed state. Not to go into spoilers, but I can see why anyone seeing the film for Keaton would not be satisfied. Indy's in the same boat with the trailers hinting he's depressed without adventure. 

Hollywood has an obsession with taking nostalgic characters and making them losers for the new, young hero to get back in the fight. No Way Home subverted this by having the nostalgic characters help the new hero in their broken state. It's the gold standard for fan service movies and audiences want more of that. 

Agreed. I feel like thematically it's also a mistake. Younger generations are used to watching their heroes struggling, seeing them be defeated, broken, even killed. They tend to enjoy that realism.

Older generations I feel prefer seeing ideal heroes, who never lose and always get back up stronger then before

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Issac Newton said:

$11.8M Elemental

Oof on Elemental. Still think this will have decent legs in the coming weeks (basically zero comp) but $32-33 million for the OW it is. May Disney pray to the theater gods for salvation.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Eric Prime said:

Moderation

Yeah not the Amber Heard thread. This shit ain’t cute. Don’t do it again.

An Amber Heard warning. This is truly a tremendous weekend thread folks. Keep it coming.

Season 1 GIF

• Haha 9

Nearly $12M isn't that bad for Elemental. With good WOM (A CS grade) and lack of competition along with staying power throughout the summer, with a solid chance at surpassing Lightyear to become the biggest movie from either of Disney's animated brands since Frozen II. Small victories!

Edited by filmlover
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Disbelief 1

9 minutes ago, LegionWrex said:

Oof on Elemental. Still think this will have decent legs in the coming weeks (basically zero comp) but $32-33 million for the OW it is. May Disney pray to the theater gods for salvation.

Alas. Their only hope now is to mitigate the damage. 

EmpireCity makes up inside info about how great the reception for Ghostbusters: Afterlife and Indiana Jones is, I would take his word on Blue Beetle with an entire shaker of salt. I should have thought of correctly guessing fairly predictable numbers within 10 percent late on Friday nights a few years ago and maybe people would have thought I was an insider with real numbers too and gave me a purple name.

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

1 hour ago, ZattMurdock said:

I mean they are accused of the most heinous shit I’ve seen in a good while. I mean you gotta work to look worse than Armie Hammer’s accusations. Somehow they’ve topped that. Also I find it offensive to women to suggest this, even in jest. 

'Women like pretty boys' is not a hot take :rolleyes:

It's not a coincidence that almost every superhero movie stars some of the most gorgeous men on the planet. Studios know how to get that 4-quadrant.

Ezra is probably the first lead in these films who is not hot. 

2 minutes ago, filmlover said:

Nearly $12M isn't that bad for Elemental. With good WOM (A CS grade) and lack of competition staying power throughout the summer, with a solid chance at surpassing Lightyear to become the biggest movie from either of Disney's animated brands since Frozen II. Small victories!

Also guaranteed to be the biggest OW for an original animated film since Encanto and the first one in god knows how long to pass $30 mil. If anything it proves Pixar still has brand power to some extent, which is ultimately a good thing in the long term. Short term will be rough.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, WrathOfHan said:

LAWD these Asteroid City numbers. It's going to opening within 70-80% of French Dispatch's OW despite nearly 50 fewer theaters. My audience last night enjoyed it, so WOM will hopefully be strong enough leading into wide next weekend.

Asteroid Ctiy has the best limited release for PTA since 2019's Parasite. The PG-13 rating could help to movie to tap into bigger crowd. The worry is that 43% verified audience score on RT although only with <50 votes. 

1 minute ago, Cmasterclay said:

EmpireCity makes up inside info about how great the reception for Ghostbusters: Afterlife and Indiana Jones is, I would take his word on Blue Beetle with an entire shaker of salt. I should have thought of correctly guessing fairly predictable numbers within 10 percent late on Friday nights a few years ago and maybe people would have thought I was an insider with real numbers too and gave me a purple name.

He also said Wonder Woman was terrible and Justice League was good 😅 Everyone is entitled to their opinion but he takes his own opinion to predict audience reception which may not be the most foolproof method of determining whether a movie will be a success or not.

• Like 1

Elemental should do ~33M with this FRI. With great reception and virtually no direct competition until August (yeah there’s Ruby coming but this one really looks DOA), it can try 120M DOM. 

Let’s see how it’ll go OS since it won’t open in many markets until at least next weekend. But it’s doing quite fine where it opened, WOM is clearly giving it some good bumps on Asia. 

But yeah, it can ended up with +300M and potentially bigger than Flash, insane. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 3