The Wild Eric

Father’s Day/Juneteenth Weekend Thread | Flash implodes with 55M, Elemental bombs with 29M, holdovers hold atrociously | Theaters are dead, streaming is dead. Everything is dead really.

3 hours ago, Cmasterclay said:

People got used to streaming and like staying home. Most people I know laugh when they find out I see movies in theaters anymore. Many don't even realize they ever reopened. To people younger than me (29) the idea of going to a theater is probably how I thought of using payphones. I guess it's just obsolete technology. We have to come to grips with this reality.

My Spider-Verse screening was packed with teenagers.  

3 hours ago, titanic2187 said:

The disinterest of female audience going back to theater has been a "headache" for theater chain in post-Covid era. People may underestimate just how much BO was lost because of resistance from female audience. Take a example at JW4, the $73.8m OW attract 31% female but the movie would have gone up to $81m OW, if JW4 managed to attract just as much as female share like JW3 (37%).  

Twilight 6 coming to theaters in 2025.

50 minutes ago, cahramel said:

How much do TLM needs to break even? I've seen a lot of numbers from 500M to 750M these past weeks but I'd guess at least 600M, right? 

Typically a movie needs to multiply 2.5 times worldwide it's production budget to break even. Meaning, TLM needs 625 million worldwide to break even.

Edited by Boxx93

1 hour ago, 21C said:

Unironically I think The Flash flopping while Spider-Verse and GoTG are doing great is the best thing that could be happening to superhero movies at the moment.

you prepared for the Marvels, Blue Beetle, and Aquaman to flop as well? 

1 hour ago, FunkMiller said:

What’s with all this doom and gloom?

It’s a good thing these mediocre to poor movies are being rejected by audiences. It’s actually great to see it. If studios realise they can’t just put out crap, then the standard of movies we do get will be higher.

The movie going experience isn’t dying… but hopefully the days of studios being able to coast most certainly is.

I'm curious to know as to what you consider to be posting. What crap films you feel the studios are putting out that would fall under coasting? I'm genuinely curious what you think

28 minutes ago, Unfitclock said:

I’m interested to see how elemental holds next weekend because that could be a movie that has great holds week to week but that Saturday hold is not encouraging at all

It's dead, Jim.

You don't come back from a opening that low.

• Like 3

So Ant Man 3 and Shazam 2 multipliers gets Flash to only 265-270m WW. It will barely scrape by 300m if it manages Eternals multiplier. Even with Black Adam multiplier it will fall short of Shazam 1 and Black Adam. It should get to 250m at least lol

Good news for it is that it has a whole weekend to itself otherwise the collapse would have been spectacular. 

12 minutes ago, MattW said:

Is it though 

https://www.boxofficemojo.com/year/ytd/

Things may be bad for individual movies but movie-going is up significantly over last year. 

The next 3 or 4 weeks are going to erase some of those gains. Last year you had Top Gun Maverick JW Dominion, Lightyear, Black Phone, Elvis, The Minion Rise of Gru and Thor Love and Thunder through mid july this year is not coming close to that.  The second of july through  Labor Day seems much stronger this year though.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, ZeeSoh said:

So Ant Man 3 and Shazam 2 multipliers gets Flash to only 265-270m WW. It will barely scrape by 300m if it manages Eternals multiplier. Even with Black Adam multiplier it will fall short of Shazam 1 and Black Adam. It should get to 250m at least lol

Good news for it is that it has a whole weekend to itself otherwise the collapse would have been spectacular. 

Badnews is best case scenario, WB will lose a lot of money on The Flash, only question is how much.

9 minutes ago, ZeeSoh said:

Well, Ant-Man 3 and Shazam 2 had entire weekends to themselves while The Flash only has 1 so I'd say that the odds are really not in The Flash's favor to cross that 300m mark.