kayumanggi

Weekend Actuals (Jun 23 - 25) | 19.00M ATSV | 18.44M ELEMENTAL | 15.14M THE FLASH | 15.00M NO HARD FEELINGS

38 minutes ago, Eevin said:

bummed i missed the coda discourse but as an actual coda myself i really don’t like the movie and find it to be both an oversimplification of deaf family dynamics and a disservice to codas & deaf parents— ESPECIALLY don’t like how they use her love of music as a source of tension/conflict, especially when virtually any deaf person i know would not react angrily about their hearing child wanting to sing. sound of metal slams if you’re looking for a movie w good deaf representation imo

CODA is a Disney Channel movie in disguise. 

With movies like The Flash bombing and Indiana Jones and the Dial of Destiny tracking very low, I think we are seeing the decline of 80s nostalgia. 90s and 2000s/ nostalgia are the big things currently.

Like just go on social media and you will hardly seen any 80s nostalgia anymore. It's mostly 90s and 2000s (heck I even see more early 2010s nostalgia than 80s).

20 minutes ago, Landon1195 said:

With movies like The Flash bombing and Indiana Jones and the Dial of Destiny tracking very low, I think we are seeing the decline of 80s nostalgia. 90s and 2000s/ nostalgia are the big things currently.

Like just go on social media and you will hardly seen any 80s nostalgia anymore. It's mostly 90s and 2000s (heck I even see more early 2010s nostalgia than 80s).

Yeah Barbie for example Is also using that acqua 90s smash.

The Backstreet Boys biopic will be the next Bohemian Rhapsody. Chalamet is ready for an oscar as Nick Carter. 

Edited by vale9001

4 hours ago, cookie said:

I border on Gen Z and I didn't like the premise as presented in the trailers because it made the parents in the movie look like sociopaths who exploit a woman's financial situation while forcing their own son into a scenario he's not at all comfortable with, and asked myself how that was supposed to be funny and not disturbing. Maybe the movie itself does a better job of making sense of it, but the trailers didn't sell me at all.

Many comedies (raunchy or not) in film history were popular despite extremely dubious/disturbing plot elements, played for laughs instead of serious drama. People back then knew Pretty Woman probably wouldn't work out that way in real life, and that no US or UK judge in the last 50 years would have ever signed off on the custody arrangement from The Parent Trap.

Romcoms from the from the 1990s-2000s could present fairly dysfunctional relationships as totally ideal and trickery/deceit was often a common story beat, along with parents with no boundaries. My Big Fat Greek Wedding is one of the biggest romcoms ever. And I remember watching 50 First Dates in the theater and enjoying it, while also wondering if her character should really be dating anyone like that? However, it wasn't real life and Sandler/Barrymore were charming together, so I rolled with it.

But it's a different time now: a comedy with an unethical premise is a turnoff to some and they can't engage with it at all, unless they can be 100 percent sure of the movie's moral message going into it.

Is Deadline not updating the numbers because they were right this afternoon or they're back to minimal pandemic coverage since even if something hits $20m, that can wait until Saturday morning?

Edited by BoxOfficeFangrl
  • Like 4

https://comicbookmovie.com/the-flash/the-flash-faces-historic-second-weekend-drop-as-spider-man-across-the-spider-verse-and-elemental-fight-for-1-a204001

The Flash is now taking aim a $14 million weekend after a $4.3 million Friday. That's even bigger than Green Lantern's 66% drop in 2011 and, by Sunday, the Scarlet Speedster will have earned only $86.3 million in the U.S.

Edited by Belakor
  • Like 2
  • Heart 1
  • Haha 4
  • Sad 1

8 hours ago, AniNate said:

If this isn't sarcasm, it speaks to an impressive lack of understanding about how Pixar operates.

Or more like clear understanding they heavily overpay compared to all other studios which do the same thing. Who cares how Pixar operates when it's not sustainable anymore, they deliver bomb after bomb these days, if they weren't part of Disney, they would've run out of bussiness by this point.

• Haha 2

6 hours ago, cookie said:

I border on Gen Z and I didn't like the premise as presented in the trailers because it made the parents in the movie look like sociopaths who exploit a woman's financial situation while forcing their own son into a scenario he's not at all comfortable with, and asked myself how that was supposed to be funny and not disturbing. Maybe the movie itself does a better job of making sense of it, but the trailers didn't sell me at all.

Thinking teenage comedies or young adult comedies are a dead genre right now. 

I think issue on comedies these days is they take wierd situations but don't make them funny And you left feeling cringe about the dynamics.

But be honest showed my gen z relatives tropic thunder and they loved it and remains insanely popular today. The movie really tests limits of comedy and is fucking hilarious.

So I don't buy gen z is against good funny comedy.

However it is such a minefield making a comedy that test limits of comedy aimed at a younger audience as comedy in gen z is very absurd and wild but quite niche and decentralized.

So you never get massive hit comedies at gen z.

Edited by Torontofan
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, BoxOfficeFangrl said:

Many comedies (raunchy or not) in film history were popular despite extremely dubious/disturbing plot elements, played for laughs instead of serious drama. People back then knew Pretty Woman probably wouldn't work out that way in real life, and that no US or UK judge in the last 50 years would have ever signed off on the custody arrangement from The Parent Trap.

Romcoms from the from the 1990s-2000s could present fairly dysfunctional relationships as totally ideal and trickery/deceit was often a common story beat, along with parents with no boundaries. My Big Fat Greek Wedding is one of the biggest romcoms ever. And I remember watching 50 First Dates in the theater and enjoying it, while also wondering if her character should really be dating anyone like that? However, it wasn't real life and Sandler/Barrymore were charming together, so I rolled with it.

But it's a different time now: a comedy with an unethical premise is a turnoff to some and they can't engage with it at all, unless they can be 100 percent sure of the movie's moral message going into it.

Is Deadline not updating the numbers because they were right this afternoon or they're back to minimal pandemic coverage since even if something hits $20m, that can wait until Saturday morning?

It also helped those movies were actually funny or entertaining.

I find many comedy movies these days very boring

• Like 1

Analyzing why romcoms or the r-rated comedy doesn't work anymore the way it did 20 years ago is probably a discussion that could go on for eternity. But just to touch upon what @BoxOfficeFangrl mentioned, yes these types of comedies are not set in reality. But that was the Beauty and the appeal of them. Nobody wants to deal with reality 24 hours a day. So we go to the movies and we escape.

No a prostitute from Hollywood is not going to find true love with a handsome billionaire. A gorgeous young blonde woman is not going to get in Harvard law school overnight so she can prove her boyfriend wrong after he dumped her. Movies like Adam Sandler's click are obviously not set in reality. Would Jim, the high school nerd actually have nadia, the European sexual bombshell, not only show interest in him but actually want to have sex with him? And these are just a few examples in a litany of comedies from years past that made bank at the box office and entertain the hell out of millions of people.

These films didn't need to be realistic, they just needed to be funny. Yeah it's a way different time now. I guess we could go point the finger at all the movies that are available online couple of days after they get into the theaters if not before they get into theaters. And let's face it, movies are fucking expensive now. I've mentioned this before, even when I was married I used to go to the theater 70 or 80 times by myself. Before I was married that number would go up to 125. Not only can I not do that now because each trip to the theater for one person is about 30 bucks when you include popcorn and pop. But now we all know that movies like this are going to be available on Netflix or Amazon Prime or Paramount or whatever other streaming service is out there, in a month or so.

I'm still a sucker for the big tent poles at the theater. This year some of the films that I've seen at the theater are fx, John Wick 4, Creed 3 and scream 6 just to name a few.

I don't know what the solution is or even if there is one. I know that because I can't afford to go as often as I would like to I'm much more selective with what I see in the theater and unfortunately films like no hard feelings or book club part 2 are films that I'm going to wait until I can watch them at home.

As for whatever moron decided to pay Jennifer Lawrence 25 million dollars a star in a movie like this, they should seriously be demoted, they should not be in charge of that department anymore. It's not just that Jennifer Lawrence is not worth nearly 25 million, it's that movie stars don't really bring people into the theater anymore.

I ranted long enough, I don't even know if this all makes sense I'm just writing down whatever comes to my mind. But hopefully you get the point.

• Like 10
  • Heart 1

Tropic Thunder still works because it makes it very clear that the offensive stuff is part of the satire. There is no external reason for Downey's character to put on blackface, he just does it because he's a completely insane method actor and it's funny because it then sticks out like a sore thumb to everyone around him. The only part where I think the film really drops the ball is the usage of the R-word since it completely fails to push back against it.

Where NHF fails for me, at least in how the marketing presents it, is that JLaw's character has an external reason for why she tries to bang the kid: she's not completely detestable or crazy, she's financially desperate, and the parents are tricking the kid into it because they subscribe to rather insane beliefs about how he needs to "enter into manhood". That makes everything that happens afterward a whole lot less funny and it instead makes things uncomfortable and weird, and I can't buy into the premise because of that.

Just because comedies are supposed to be escapism doesn't mean I have to blindly accept everything that happens in them, especially if it doesn't make me laugh anyway. Comedies with unrealistic or unethical premises can absolutely work, but the last thing I want to feel watching one is to be weirded out instead of being entertained. 

Edited by cookie
  • Like 3

Flash cost about $300 million to make. It's going to gross maybe $300 million dollars worldwide probably less. Remember when Batman v Superman made 830 million dollars and people call that a failure LOL

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1
  • Astonished 1

I think older comedies are filled with unethical situations but they are funny because even though the characters are idiots you take a liking to them. Classic example would be animal house and Porky's for sure.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, ListenHunnyUrOver said:

Most Disney Channel movies are better than Green Book and Power of the Dog so…

The Green Book hate is getting ridiculous lol. It wasn't BP winner material but it was very much a solid crowdpleasing drama (and in a pretty weak year, though even then there were better films).

• Like 6

Pixar - probably the most reliable studio box office wise and quality wise in the last 20 plus years.  Movies underperforming due to their overlord’s streaming service, and there are some criticising Pixar for this underperformance? I mean, give me a break. 

• Like 1