Bob Train

Steve Rogers Birthday Bash Weekend Thread | 5-Day #s: Indy 83.4, Elemental 18, Spidey 17.65, Sound of Freedom 14.2, No Hard Feelings 11.3

45 minutes ago, Maggie said:

So, Indy will make what tracking said the last few weeks. THis is not good news for MI:DR. That is a movie which targets old men just like Indy and tracking is bad as well

You can't compare the two movies at all because Harrison Ford is an octogenarian who hates making movies and Cruise is a "young man" (in the words of Russel Crowe in The Mummy) whose sole function in life is the movies. No way it'll skew as old as this lol

3 minutes ago, TMP said:

You can't compare the two movies at all because Harrison Ford is an octogenarian who hates making movies and Cruise is a "young man" (in the words of Russel Crowe in The Mummy) whose sole function in life is the movies. No way it'll skew as old as this lol

Buy why is tracking so bad, then? Shouldn't younger people buy tickets in advance?

3 minutes ago, TMP said:

Plus Mission has lots more going for it in order to improve in these next two weeks Indy sh-t the bed from the get go and was never able to recover from that. 

• Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, Flopped said:

Raiders is a landmark and cinematic classic for film critics and scholars and it's beloved by white men over 40 but I don't think it's really relevant to anyone else.

It's an old white man adventure movie and it's missing an AND. Two strikes against it. 

Meanwhile the 1999 Mummy, while a lesser film, is always viral on Twitter because it's an adventure where the two leads have a fun and youthful chemistry, AND it's a supernatural monster movie. That's also why Jurassic Park endures - it's an adventure AND a monster attack movie. 

You couldn't be more wrong even if you tried. I'm an Indian American. Growing up in India, Raiders was the favorite movie of our generation for me and my buddies and it still is.

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, Maggie said:

Buy why is tracking so bad, then? Shouldn't younger people buy tickets in advance?

Maggie were you following Box office when Rogue Nation came out? It was tracking to do about 40 million in its opening weekend. It's previews  were 4.1m. Ir ended up doing 55 million that weekend. That was a IM of 13.Fallout only 6 in its previews. 61 for the weekend. 10 IM. This is what these movies do. 

3 minutes ago, jb007 said:

You couldn't be more wrong even if you tried. I'm an Indian American. Growing up in India, Raiders was the favorite movie of our generation for me and my buddies and it still is.

I really liked the 1st mummy. But it's not in the same ballpark as Raiders.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, emoviefan said:

Maggie were you following Box office when Rogue Nation came out? It was tracking to do about 40 million in its opening weekend. It's previews  were 4.1m. Ir ended up doing 55 million that weekend. That was a IM of 13.Fallout only 6 in its previews. 61 for the weekend. 10 IM. This is what these movies do. 

Good point, but this has a differen release date. The last two opened in August. This is July. What is the usual IM for movies at this time of year? It's lower

Everyone losing their shit at all these blockbusters flopping and I’m just like welcome to the pain pit where those of us that care most about small and mid budget releases have been in the last three years

Jk I don’t like to see any movie flopping but damn it would be nice if y’all cared this much when things like Air don’t do well either

1 minute ago, abracadabra1998 said:

Everyone losing their shit at all these blockbusters flopping and I’m just like welcome to the pain pit where those of us that care most about small and mid budget releases have been in the last three years

Jk I don’t like to see any movie flopping but damn it would be nice if y’all cared this much when things like Air don’t do well either

Air was low budget subject with a more then average budget

Even as a huge fan of the M:I movies (each of those movies are better than any Marvel movie) I saw this trailer and thought, sure, ok, more of the same...I guess I'll be there? This third act of Cruise's career peaked with Maverick. It was the apex of everything he has to offer these days (or is interested in offering). He's not topping that, so there's no real urgency to see the new M:I. 

7 minutes ago, abracadabra1998 said:

Also win ie the pooh blood and honey made 5000 times  its budget.  Can't wait for the sequel!

Edited by screambaby

We're only halfway through the year now, and I've already got wishes/predictions for next year:

-I strongly feel The Ballad of Songbirds and Snakes is the one big movie scheduled this year that could benefit the most from a delay to 2024. 

-Ghostbusters 4 and other titles currently in production could be ready for 2024, but they shouldn't be rushed.

-Dirty Dancing 2 and The Karate Kid will be removed from the calendar since they haven't started production yet. (Neither has Sonic 3 and Thunderbolts, which may be too close a deadline).

-Deadpool shouldn't be May, Beyond the Spider-Verse shouldn't be 2024 at all.

-The Memorial Day weekend has too many scheduled right now, at least 2 of them should move.

-Mission Impossible DR Pt 2 needs more time.

-At least one of the major streaming services will shutter or merge with another.

Edited by Ken
  • Like 1

9 minutes ago, Maggie said:

Good point, but this has a differen release date. The last two opened in August. This is July. What is the usual IM for movies at this time of year? It's lower

July 31 for RN and July 27th for Fallout. We are not talking Summer vs fall here. LOL  Your Concern trolling is off the charts. 

• Like 4

11 minutes ago, Maggie said:

This goes both ways … opening in midweek also mess up the presales and the tracking especially with a 2 weeks left

Still you’re seems to be proudly spreading how the presales are bad ignoring the context 

I mean, sure, it can underperform. But as it is now, it can still ended up with the 90-100M extended OW as well 

• Like 1

About Indiana Jones, i don’t think the flop has anything to do with the saga and the character not being relevant anymore 

I think it just represents something that doesn’t seems to resonate culturally 

Indiana Jones was created to celebrate the vision of what a hero can be based on what Spielberg loved as a child. This idea of a flawed hero that thrives against all odds strongly resonate with audiences. 

Despite the obvious differences, i would say at it’s chore, this is still what most people like to see when they watch their heroes, and Indiana 5 (and 4 to an extent) isn’t that. 

I still didn’t watch the movie, but it’s very clear they’re embracing the age of the character as a limitation. Now the hero isn’t fighting with something that can be defeated, the fight is with time, and it always wins. Every adventure, every action setpiece, every plot decision comes along with some inevitably feeling of closure and the hero going in downward trend, pasting it’s prime … essentially, the disruption of the myth and the opposite of what the original trilogy is.

To me that’s a fascinating concept so i’m very interested in what they did, but it’s also a bittersweet one by design, and i think this is the reason for the lack of interest. Now add to this the Cannes fiasco, the bad reception of Indy 4, the incels attacking this movie for years now … a bomb in the making, sadly.

Edited by ThomasNicole
  • Like 3

I'm gonna put this here cause I don't want to disrupt the tracking thread...

I'm 48 and I grew up on indy....and I never fo to bed at 8

Just remember some day your own favorite movie heroes will be a laughingstock. And judging by the box office this year some of u are 20 years ahead of me in that category...

Edited by screambaby
  • Haha 1

24 minutes ago, Maggie said:

The last two opened in July. This one opens in July. Lol.

• Haha 1