Bob Train

Steve Rogers Birthday Bash Weekend Thread | 5-Day #s: Indy 83.4, Elemental 18, Spidey 17.65, Sound of Freedom 14.2, No Hard Feelings 11.3

It's a weak year for Disney, but most other studios would kill for a GOTG3, hell even a Little Mermaid, in their down year. WB, Uni, and Paramount haven't had a movie on that scale of profitability yet this year. Scream and Evil Dead brought strong profits for their respective studios, but they've yet to have any other profitable movies this year. Uni is doing well with smaller budget movies, but Fast limping to break even won't help their overall box office this year.

Edited by WrathOfHan
  • Like 7

14 minutes ago, MightyDargon said:

I haven't heard that much criticism of Phoebe. Mostly what I hear is "DAMN Ford looks old". 

Also Mario was popular because it was Mario, not lack of competition.

Oh man, on Youtube and social media, people are tearing into Phoebe. Since she was announced to be in the movie folks have been attacking her.

Mario had no competition. Not saying it wouldn't have been a hit but it wouldn't have been the monster it was with stiffer competition.

5 hours ago, FunkMiller said:

If this kind of thing teaches Hollywood to stop putting out these kinds of movies, then it’ll make it a lot more healthy than it’s been for years. A few bloody noses for the endless CGI soaked, poorly written, poorly executed, overblown, super expensive movies, might sharpen a few minds. The Flash/Dial Of Destiny double bill shocker is hopefully big enough to have a real effect moving forward. The audience is telling them to do better. This is a good thing.

Do recent Hollywood execs even know how to produce non-IP movies and non-sequels?

The old guard is probably mostly retired. 

15 minutes ago, WrathOfHan said:

It's a weak year for Disney, but most other studios would kill for a GOTG3, hell even a Little Mermaid, in their down year. WB, Uni, and Paramount haven't had a movie on that scale of profitability yet this year. Scream and Evil Dead brought strong profits for their respective studios, but they've yet to have any other profitable movies this year. Uni is doing well with smaller budget movies, but Fast limping to break even won't help their overall box office this year.

Yeah, Disney's still having a better 2023 than most given that have some of the biggest movies and I suspect it will remain that looking at what they have on deck for the rest of the year vs. what everyone else has.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, FunkMiller said:

This would be my dream. Disney have such a huge influence over the whole of Hollywood that if it turned away from the bloated budgets and IP strangulation, to favour lower costs and more original stories that carry less risk, then that would be quite marvellous for everyone. 

Easy for us to say but if someone produces the next Tomorrowland it could end their career.

1 minute ago, grey ghost said:

Easy for us to say but if someone produces the next Tomorrowland it could end their career.

Since when does something have to be a Tomorrowland when talking about original stories? There's such thing as a mid-budget film.

Edited by MCKillswitch123
  • Like 1

Just now, MCKillswitch123 said:

Since when does something have to be a Tomorrowland when talking about original stories? There's such thing as a mid-budget film.

Mid budget films are risky too. The cost of promo is high, like you have to put 100M into marketing to generate some interest. Curios how much is the marketing budget for Air. Apple, i bet sinked a lot of money into it and it wasn't profitable theatrically.

1 minute ago, Maggie said:

Mid budget films are risky too. The cost of promo is high, like you have to put 100M into marketing to generate some interest. Curios how much is the marketing budget for Air. Apple, i bet sinked a lot of money into it and it wasn't profitable theatrically.

Air cost 90 million. That's hardly mid-budget.

3 minutes ago, Deathlife said:

Oh man, on Youtube and social media, people are tearing into Phoebe. Since she was announced to be in the movie folks have been attacking her.

Mario had no competition. Not saying it wouldn't have been a hit but it wouldn't have been the monster it was with stiffer competition.

Even here this shit runs rampant. Explicitly or coded, it’s there. I don’t follow much YT, and while I’m kinda surprised that with all the doom and gloom here that Twitter is mostly positive now, I’ve seen lots of tweets about her there before.

I loved Super Mario Bros. I wasn’t going to go to watch it on a movie theater, but my brother insisted we should watch it together and I’m glad he did. With that said, I don’t think you are saying anything controversial. The number of blockbusters getting released almost back to back it’s just not healthy for the box office and movie theaters in general. It’s almost like Hollywood thinks we are back to 2019 but we aren’t there anymore. Films need more room to breathe, and I feel like the March-April window was underestimated back then and still is now. I agree with the assessment that while no one could predict Super Mario Bros to break out as big as it did, it wouldn’t be able to get anywhere near where it ended up if it got Spider-Verse’s or The Flash’s release date. Beginning of May (Vol. 3’s release date) is still the most coveted release date for good reason, but I’m still not sure if SMB would be able to go as big as it did if it got released on Vol. 3’s date either.

• Like 1