Bob Train

Steve Rogers Birthday Bash Weekend Thread | 5-Day #s: Indy 83.4, Elemental 18, Spidey 17.65, Sound of Freedom 14.2, No Hard Feelings 11.3

1 minute ago, Grebacio said:

Verified Score right now sits at 91% with 100+ votes

Frankly I would shocked if it gets lower then an A- on Cinemascore, audiences seem to be liking it. Would be the only really good news for it at the moment, so rooting for that.

5 minutes ago, XXRkham Asylum said:

Under performed expectations for sure but that's because everyone's expectations were incorrect, mine included. I think too many people saw what Top Gun did and just ran with 80's nostalgia + major IP + summer = big box office. 

Also because Crystal Skull did pretty well on 2008. 3rd Highest Grossing movie domestically of that year.

• Like 2

Just now, Grebacio said:

Also because Crystal Skull did pretty well on 2008. 3rd Highest Grossing movie domestically of that year.

Indeed it did, but I guess in many ways that was Indy's TFA or TGM. Just like a SW film wouldn't pull anywhere near $950M today even with inflation and all of that, so to will DOD not touch $300M.

4 minutes ago, LegionWrex said:

Frankly I would shocked if it gets lower then an A- on Cinemascore, audiences seem to be liking it. Would be the only really good news for it at the moment, so rooting for that.

That's all I care about right now. That it is well liked by moviegoers overall and I that I and my friends I go with enjoy it. 

17 minutes ago, XXRkham Asylum said:

Under performed expectations for sure but that's because everyone's expectations were incorrect, mine included. I think too many people saw what Top Gun did and just ran with 80's nostalgia + major IP + summer = big box office. 

Ummm, not all of us:)...

• Like 4

19 minutes ago, emoviefan said:

Yep reacting to  Deadlines wide ranging estimates based on nothing concrete at all.  Already time to tap out on this thread. 

I mean, it would be weird to ignore Deadlines estimates just because you don't like them.

Edited by Kon
  • Like 3

3 minutes ago, TwoMisfits said:

Ummm, not all of us:)...

On 1/1/2023 at 6:01 PM, M37 said:

OUT, way out, like I’m really starting to wonder what I’m missing here that other people see 

Shoulder Shrug GIF

From the Indy over $550M domestic club. To be fair, I wasn’t in sub-$200M range back then, but my starting point was like ~$250M

• Like 1

Top Gun: Maverick proved that audiences want to see the main character still kick ass while helping the young generation. That was a film that completely respected Mav, almost deified him, while also developing his guilt over Goose and his hesitancy to train younger pilots who can't match his skill. 

Indy's trailers told same story as Han, Luke, Wolverine, Keaton's Batman, etc. Made him depressed, out of his prime, no purpose in his twilight years. So some plucky young hero can save him from himself. Audiences weren't buying this again. They want Maverick and No Way Home type stories. 

• Like 4

Maverick besides having out of this world WOM also had way more pent up demand as the fans went 36 years between films, Indiana Jones had multiple different potential franchise endings and still chose to come back with a seemingly ok at best movie

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, M37 said:

From the Indy over $550M domestic club. To be fair, I wasn’t in sub-$200M range back then, but my starting point was like ~$250M

On 1/1/2023 at 5:12 PM, XXRkham Asylum said:

OUT but I like your boldness. It's a big win if it lands. I'm thinking it'll be about $150-200M less than that. 

I was thinking mid-3's. About half as many tickets as Crystal Skull. It'll probably end up being closer to a quarter as many tickets. 

13 minutes ago, GambitPool said:

Top Gun: Maverick proved that audiences want to see the main character still kick ass while helping the young generation. That was a film that completely respected Mav, almost deified him, while also developing his guilt over Goose and his hesitancy to train younger pilots who can't match his skill. 

Indy's trailers told same story as Han, Luke, Wolverine, Keaton's Batman, etc. Made him depressed, out of his prime, no purpose in his twilight years. So some plucky young hero can save him from himself. Audiences weren't buying this again. They want Maverick and No Way Home type stories. 

I mean, Harrison Ford is 80s, it is extremely difficult that he could be on his prime.

I really doubt the story issues you mentioned have so much relevance in the preview numbers, since a lot of people don't know about the story when they're going to see the movie. 

At most, it shows a lack of interest in the current Indiana Jones.

Edited by Kon