Bob Train

Steve Rogers Birthday Bash Weekend Thread | 5-Day #s: Indy 83.4, Elemental 18, Spidey 17.65, Sound of Freedom 14.2, No Hard Feelings 11.3

19 minutes ago, M37 said:

Sure it’s real and terrible and tragic …. But not nearly on the scale as some believe, having grown to full on conspiracy theory and moral panic level, especially in last ~5 years. So it’s essentially a hero film to those who have fallen down that rabbit hole, hence the massive advance sales volume 

Additionally, many use that situation as a "boogeyman" of sorts to claim certain demographics (specifically, the ones they don't like) are involved. I've seen too many bigots try to validate their xenophobia by claiming huge swaths of immigrants are involved in child human trafficking, or using that as a means to ban people of specific nationalities from entering the U.S.

Sure, it definitely happens and needs to be eliminated, but it's important to know that its existence is also used as a means to influence public opinion by a certain political party.

... And that's all I'll say on that!

Edited by datpepper
  • Like 11

9 minutes ago, TwoMisfits said:

I'm actually kinda shocked they didn't...this was tailor made to be a BOGO or Family 4 pack movie to get it to high teens...but at full price, it was not gonna sell right now...too many other options, including the kids summer movie series.

Although maybe they spend next weekend doing the push price deal they skipped this weekend.  Or they do just let it fade away...

Universal got burned badly a few years ago when they spent massive amounts of money to try to save 'Battleship"and just added a lot or the red ink. Since then,Uni has been more cautious then most studios about 'Hail Mary" attempts to save a film they see as having little chance of sucess.

And their judgement was right concerning Kraken. "Elementals" is filling that niche quite nicely.

You have to know when to cut your losses/ You can't spend huge amounts of money to try to save every film that comes along.

5 minutes ago, BoxOfficeFangrl said:

Right, child trafficking is a real thing but a certain segment of the population believes outlandish conspiracies about it or only focuses on the abuse that happens in faraway places, while having nothing to say or do about the same sort of things going on in their own backyards (so to speak).

The person Caviezel is playing (Tim Ballard) has been accused of embellishing his organization's role in rescuing people, taking actions that further traumatize victims and really not understanding how human trafficking actually works. The movie's going to present a sanitized version, which, fine, it's a movie. But since Sound of Freedom was made in 2018 I doubt it will be as QAnon heavy as it would be if it were made in 2023 by, IDK, the Daily Wire or Breitbart. Will it appeal to that audience? Absolutely...

That a film sits on the shelf for four years is  never a good sign as to quality anyway.

Good movies simply don't get warehoused that way.

5 minutes ago, dudalb said:

Universal got burned badly a few years ago when they spent massive amounts of money to try to save 'Battleship"and just added a lot or the red ink. Since then,Uni has been more cautious then most studios about 'Hail Mary" attempts to save a film they see as having little chance of sucess.

And their judgement was right concerning Kraken. "Elementals" is filling that niche quite nicely.

You have to know when to cut your losses/ You can't spend huge amounts of money to try to save every film that comes along.

Especially when Mario is still making billions and you can afford to take an L. 

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, Dominic Draper said:

Funny how he has so little to say about the continued abuse by churches of minors.

Can we not do this sort of weird religious shitposting? Yes, clerical sexual abuse is awful. Everyone agrees. Why are you trying to score online points over other child being abused? It's gross. 

Why we playing whataboutism on how people are concerned about child rape? It's something people should be more concerned about across the board! It's bad! Not sure why demanding this instead be a conversation about how catholic church is bad is a reasonable counterpoint. 

Also, I'm pretty sure no one searched out to see if he did or didn't say anything about that. It's just an irritable gesture about how it's bad that Caviezel is a conservative catholic. It's gross. 

Separate from all of that, Caviezel's clearly a dude with more than a few screws loose. 

Edited by PlatnumRoyce
  • Like 1
  • Disbelief 1
  • Knock It Off 1

Transformers had another good hold OS 14.9m(-41.8%) 381m WW  . Should get to around 440m

Still not the best but legs for this have been solid . Never had this beating flash and Indy 5 on my bingo card.

This could have done more with a better release date.

• Like 4

It's moderately surprising to me that the theater i work at has more showings of GOTG3 on Wednesday than Flash (3 vs 1) but the PTA for the movies was only $300 off this weekend.... and with GOTG3 having a 24% drop on Sunday vs Flash's 15% it might be lower with actuals 

27 minutes ago, TwoMisfits said:

If you want to see it, Slickdeals has mentioned there are now free tickets (limited quantity) through Atom if you use the code ATOMFREEDOM (til July 2 or supplies run out).  I think these are the tickets folks have "paid for" that are now being redistributed (thus, why it's limited), but I'm not really up on how Angel does its Pay It Forward tickets...

Unfortunately I live in the northern part of the greater Toronto area, in order for me to go see this I would literally have to travel about 80 km to the east side of toronto. I definitely want to see it but with work and traffic and everything else I don't think I'm going to be able to go right now. I'm sure if it does well, it'll definitely expand.

• Like 1

I had no idea there were this many experts here at the forums about human/child trafficking. Must be a topic you guys have researched extensively.

• Haha 5
  • Astonished 1
  • Knock It Off 3

6 minutes ago, PlatnumRoyce said:

Can we not do this sort of weird religious shitposting? Yes, clerical sexual abuse is awful. Everyone agrees. Why are you trying to score online points over other child being abused? It's gross. 

Why we playing whataboutism on how people are concerned about child rape. It's something people should be more concerned about across the board! It's bad! Not sure why demanding this instead be a conversation about why catholic church is bad is a reasonable point. 

I amnot seeing much anger aimed specifically aimed at the Catholic CHurch.

In fact, the big recent scandals about Sexual predators among the clergy have been in the Protestant churches...Southern Baptists bein the most prominent.

At this point feel like the only person to trust to deliver a blockbuster with cinematography that doesn't look like artificial gloop is Grieg Fraser. Edit: Hoyte van Hoytema allowed in the club too.

Mangold Indy should have been, if not extremely dynamic in look, at least classically appealing. But it looks like any Marvel or DC movie that's come out the past 5+ years.

Edited by 4815162342
  • Like 2

5 minutes ago, Dominic Draper said:

So Indiana Jones is taking Flashs spot as biggest bomb of the year then?

Have to wait for Deadline's breakdown, but I suspect Flash will still end up losing more money. Production cost is much higher for Indy, but Flash had a much bigger marketing spend which cancels some if not most of that out. Barring a complete collapse, Indy should also comfortably outgross Flash both DOM and WW.

8 minutes ago, 4815162342 said:

At this point feel like the only person to trust to deliver a blockbuster with cinematography that doesn't look like artificial gloop is Grieg Fraser.

Mangold Indy should have been, if not extremely dynamic in look, at least classically appealing. But it looks like any Marvel or DC movie that's come out the past 5+ years.

Ford vs Ferrari looks gorgeous, it’s shocking Indy doesn’t look anywhere near as good

9 minutes ago, 4815162342 said:

At this point feel like the only person to trust to deliver a blockbuster with cinematography that doesn't look like artificial gloop is Grieg Fraser.

Not for nothing but I think Larry Fong is fantastic and needs more work.

21 minutes ago, dudalb said:

I amnot seeing much anger aimed specifically aimed at the Catholic CHurch.

In fact, the big recent scandals about Sexual predators among the clergy have been in the Protestant churches...Southern Baptists bein the most prominent.

Did not see mod post before posting this.