Bob Train

Steve Rogers Birthday Bash Weekend Thread | 5-Day #s: Indy 83.4, Elemental 18, Spidey 17.65, Sound of Freedom 14.2, No Hard Feelings 11.3

23 minutes ago, filmlover said:

Feel like Haunted Mansion is being somewhat slept on IMO. It looks fun and is opening at a time where even with like a $25-30M opening should leg it out to $100M given that it's one of the very last major titles of the summer before we move into the dog days.

If Wiki's right, it's a $157.8M production budget for that movie, so I don't think they'd love $100M DOM (although I agree that's where I see it roughly heading)...

Again, weird choices for the movie - budget, release date, tone, etc...but I've seen the preview about 15 times now, so they are putting it everywhere...

28 minutes ago, Eric Jones said:

Umm...no? I'm just not interested in people explaining why Rey and Finn are bad actually because of this, that, and the other thing.

Finn was done, so, so dirty in that trilogy.

How do you take such an interesting backstory for a Star Wars character and reduce him to a bit player, with zero agency and very little to do? He was a great character. And they sacrificed him on the altar of having everything be about Rey.

How much better would the latter movies have been than bringing Palpatine back, if they'd moved towards the concept of Rey falling to the dark side alongside Kylo, and Finn having to be the one to stop them - with the inevitable, but actually earned babyface turn by Rey at the end? 

Good god those movies are so incredibly frustrating and stupid.

Edited by FunkMiller
  • Like 5

1 minute ago, TwoMisfits said:

If Wiki's right, it's a $157.8M production budget for that movie, so I don't think they'd love $100M DOM (although I agree that's where I see it roughly heading)...

Again, weird choices for the movie - budget, release date, tone, etc...but I've seen the preview about 15 times now, so they are putting it everywhere...

It's the same release date Jungle Cruise opened in. That way they can launch it on Disney+ around Halloween when it'll be pretty much gone from theaters.

38 minutes ago, Eric Jones said:

Umm...no? I'm just not interested in people explaining why Rey and Finn are bad actually because of this, that, and the other thing.

If you post a take, then say don't respond to your take, that is Internet 101 encouraging people to respond to the take

• Haha 1

This thread reminds me why I just let Star Wars go. Don't even hate anything Disney did but between poor creative decisions and such heat from fandom just kinda set me away from it. 

They did dirty on everyone in the sequel trilogy tho. Especially Daisy and John deserved more. 

You know there's a lot of people here saying that the reception for Indiana Jones is not very good. Right now it's at 88% on rotten tomatoes from viewers. Critically it wasn't well received and there's definitely people at these forums who have seen it who didn't like it there's also people at these forums, maybe closer to my age, who have enjoyed it. I don't think the reception for this is nearly as bad as the critics are making it out to be and as some of you guys are making it out to be.

I went through some of the viewer reviews on rotten tomatoes and a lot of them have the same sentiments that I have about it. Classic indie, little too much CGI but overall a lot of fun and a fantastic tear jerking ending.

The budget for this is automatically going to make it a complete disaster and the international numbers coming in are not doing any favors either. I do think down the road this movie will be looked upon favorably and I think a lot of those people that have avoided the film due to critics will eventually see it on Disney or some other streaming platform and probably end up enjoying it.

• Heart 2
  • Thanks 2

46 minutes ago, Eric Jones said:

Step out of the line of not trashing Star Wars completely and this is what you get.

step-out.gif

21 minutes ago, filmlover said:

It's the same release date Jungle Cruise opened in. That way they can launch it on Disney+ around Halloween when it'll be pretty much gone from theaters.

But Jungle Cruise wasn't a Halloween themed movie...the It release date might have been the better one...

3 minutes ago, baumer said:

You know there's a lot of people here saying that the reception for Indiana Jones is not very good. Right now it's at 88% on rotten tomatoes from viewers. Critically it wasn't well received and there's definitely people at these forums who have seen it who didn't like it there's also people at these forums, maybe closer to my age, who have enjoyed it. I don't think the reception for this is nearly as bad as the critics are making it out to be and as some of you guys are making it out to be.

I went through some of the viewer reviews on rotten tomatoes and a lot of them have the same sentiments that I have about it. Classic indie, little too much CGI but overall a lot of fun and a fantastic tear jerking ending.

The budget for this is automatically going to make it a complete disaster and the international numbers coming in are not doing any favors either. I do think down the road this movie will be looked upon favorably and I think a lot of those people that have avoided the film due to critics will eventually see it on Disney or some other streaming platform and probably end up enjoying it.

I mean, my favorite film critic of all time liked. And he is old just like us.

• Heart 1

43 minutes ago, MightyDargon said:

Meh, what the actual audience wanted to see (if anything) was "Indy and Short Round team up again".

This I totally agree with. And if you seen the movie, I don't even know how to say this without it being in spoiler territory so I'll just leave it by saying that it felt like a wasted opportunity not to have Short round in the movie.

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, CoolioD1 said:

TBF it was filmed two years ago and literally noooobody was saying "short round should be in this" before Everything Everywhere dropped.

Again you can't say too much in this form without getting the spoiler territory but seeing as this was the last Indiana Jones movie right from Harrison Ford's mouth, or at least the last one with him in it while he's alive, you can see why adding Short round to the film would have been a great way to ride off into the sunset.

38 minutes ago, Eric Jones said:

whole thing would have for sure been an Indy/Short Round team-up and that probably would have been the best selling point you could hope for with an Indiana Jones sequel.

I spent the whole movie thinking how this would’ve been better if it’d been Indy and Steve 😇

• Haha 2

Just now, Cap said:

I spent the whole movie thinking how this would’ve been better if it’d been Indy and Steve 😇

The guy from Blue's Clues? I mean both guys do solve mysteries, so I guess I get it.

In the multiverse timeline where Everything Everywhere All At Once came out 2 years earlier, or Indy 5 didn't start filming until late last year, they obviously write Short Round into the movie as a major role and given the timeframe of the movie, it's pretty obvious the movie would be set in Southeast Asia and tie into the Vietnam War somehow. This would write out the Nazis and PWB's character necessarily given the different setting.

They'd probably write in another younger character as well since Ke Huy Quan is 51, so my guess would have been a younger Viet-heritage actress (and if they really wanted to hit on legacy they'd make her Short Round's daughter) for a multi-generational adventure tied to the region.

But that is a different timeline

Edited by 4815162342
  • Like 4

2 minutes ago, Cap said:

I don't get it 🤷

• Haha 1