Bob Train

Steve Rogers Birthday Bash Weekend Thread | 5-Day #s: Indy 83.4, Elemental 18, Spidey 17.65, Sound of Freedom 14.2, No Hard Feelings 11.3

1 hour ago, ringedmortality said:

Hey maybe Cap is cool after all

Mean Girls Movie GIF by filmeditor

Since we’re celebrating Festivus early, instead of Steve Rogers birthday weekend, here’s my airing of grievances against Star Wars. This is a one time occurrence:

- The sidelining Finn and Poe as the trilogy went on was a mistake, and for me, squanders much of the joy and excitement of The Force Awakens in hindsight.

- The Last Jedi is not the nadir of human civilization, though I do believe the decision to split up the group was a mistake. I know that’s how ESB works, but this time was a mistake. I am genuinely pro The Last Jedi though. 

- I have never seen such a toxic fandom, and that is from someone who has been in the Marvel Comics fandom for 20 years. It morphed into less about the movie, and more being about hatedom. And even if people will not admit it, some folks absolutely showed their true colors during the debacle. 

- There’s a saying that even a broken clock is right twice a day. While I have always felt a lot of the hate Kennedy got was based in either conscious or subconscious sexism, I do think it’s time for her to get her golden parachute and ride off into the sunset. She is a pioneer Producer, with a legacy that is iconic. But clearly the current LucasFilm status quo is not working. Time to shake things up. 

Which leads to my last point:

- We need to let the past die. No more Skywalker stories. No more deep fake bad CGI because you have PTSD over recasting young Han. Let it all go. The best stuff they’re doing is centered on new characters (Aka Andor).

And with that, I’m gonna go back to trying to get my collectibles into my house without them getting ruined in the rain.

Be good to each other. And it looks like we got some new juicy Indiana Jones gossip (lmfao if that is true, and for that alone, Kennedy needs to go), so hopefully we got all the TLJ out of our system and can naturally pivot 

(until there’s another lol and new information and we obviously go back to our favorite topic which is that movie 🤦‍♀️🤣)

• Like 9
  • Heart 1

2 minutes ago, screambaby said:

Where are they getting 60 from?

Wouldn't it have to do 17 after doing 19? Don't see it...

Sunday drop could be softer with people taking the day off on the 3rd to make a 4 day weekend. But don’t honestly know what that impact is

Disney doesn't have much else out for the rest of the year (all that's left on deck is Haunted Mansion, A Haunting in Venice, The Creator, The Marvels, and Wish) that'll make up for the recent underperformers but aside from perhaps WB, the guaranteed heavy-hitters are about to dry up for all the studios once summer is over. Both September and October don't have a single movie guaranteed to make $100M+ total, for instance. Better luck next year, whatever that ends up looking like due to the strike, I guess.

16 minutes ago, Gavin Feng said:

Missing $60M, right?

Date Rank Gross % Change Theaters Per Theater Total Gross Days
Jun 29, 2023 P $7,200,000   4,500 $1,600   $7,200,000  
Jun 30, 2023 1 $24,000,000   4,600 $5,217   $24,000,000 1
Jul 1, 2023 1 $19,000,000 -21% 4,600 $4,130   $43,000,000 2
Jul 2, 2023 1 $17,000,000 -11% 4,600 $3,696   $60,000,000 3

Maybe not: between older audience skew (stronger matinees, weaker late shows = better Sun hold) and holiday effects, a -10% Sunday isn’t unreasonable 

TGM was -8.5% this Sunday last year, though 4th was Mon, not Tue, but also not opening weekend. Elvis also -8% 

Edited by M37

Just now, Skim Beeble said:

Insidious is gonna be #1 next weekend, isn't it? 

Probably not unless Indy falls 60%+ and Insidious really overperforms its current $20-25M expectations. Will probably be a closer than expected call though.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, filmlover said:

Disney doesn't have much else out for the rest of the year (all that's left on deck is Haunted Mansion, A Haunting in Venice, The Creator, The Marvels, and Wish) that'll make up for the recent underperformers but aside from perhaps WB, the guaranteed heavy-hitters are about to dry up for all the studios once summer is over. Both September and October don't have a single movie guaranteed to make $100M+ total, for instance. Better luck next year, whatever that ends up looking like due to the strike, I guess.

I think 3/5 of the next projects Disney will lose money as well. Wish will do alright but not a big hit and The Marvels is a bit of a wildcard could do well but also could disappoint. The rest of the year does not good.