Bob Train

Steve Rogers Birthday Bash Weekend Thread | 5-Day #s: Indy 83.4, Elemental 18, Spidey 17.65, Sound of Freedom 14.2, No Hard Feelings 11.3

31 minutes ago, excel1 said:

1980s properties are done. It's too long ago. This would be like releasing a sequel to a 1950s film in 1995. Way way too late and past their prime. 

I know your overall point is right, but the smartass side of me can't help but mention Top Gun: Maverick was just a year ago.

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, TwoMisfits said:

I think it depends how Sound of Freedom reports its BO...and that is a sad state of summer box office, but as I said yesterday, I report reality:)...

Isnt Sound of Freedom getting a limited release? It's only playing at one or two theaters in the greater Toronto area.

26 minutes ago, poweranimals said:

How did TRoS treat everything like a joke?

Not to beat a dead horse but starting with “Somehow Palpatine returned” any sense of gravitas just went poof and never returned. The whole thing was unbelievably rushed, so they created fake tension with stuff like the cheap Chewbacca death takeout. I’m sure it’s not how JJ Abrams planned to make that movie but they never should have gone ahead with that script right after TLJ. That to me was a far bigger mistake than TLJ itself. 

• Like 1

As someone who doesn't care about Kennedy or Star Wars, it's impressive and unprecedented she still has her job, she ran all Lucas Film properties into the ground, even Willow, any other big studio executive would've been fired after 1 or 2 massive bombs and yet she's still standing.

• Like 4
  • Heart 2
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Mr Roark said:

Indy already had his legacy sequel 15 years ago and it was a success, at least financially.

I always liked it to be fair. At least it feels like a real Indy movie.

your taste most people believe it's much better than Skull 

James Mangold is a terrific director and without getting into spoilers you can definitely see his strengths in Dial of Destiny's second half which is weirder and more character-focused. Unfortunately, his filmography never indicated that whimisical, clever action scenes was his strength, and that's the first 85 minutes or so of this movie.

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, baumer said:

I've said this about three or four times in this thread, it's a holiday Monday in Canada so the Sunday drop should be a little bit softer. That's why all these studios are projecting numbers on Sunday that they are.

And all you guys are automatically taking deadlines word that the budget is now 329, all they're saying is that they have a source that's saying it's that much. Anybody can claim that. Doesn't mean it's true.

295-330  doest it matter?

2 minutes ago, AniNate said:

Meanwhile Elemental only dropped 5% in international markets this weekend. Combined with decent DOM hold, it and SV are the bright stops of the weekend

It opens in new territories next week. Should be interesting. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Cmasterclay said:

James Mangold is a terrific director and without getting into spoilers you can definitely see his strengths in Dial of Destiny's second half which is weirder and more character-focused. Unfortunately, his filmography never indicated that whimisical, clever action scenes was his strength, and that's the first 85 minutes or so of this movie.

Indy is a product of the genius of Spielberg and Lucas. To deliver a true, exciting Indy film without them helming it would’ve been an impossible (if not kamikaze) task for any other director.

• Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, TomThomas said:

As someone who doesn't care about Kennedy or Star Wars, it's impressive and unprecedented she still has her job, she ran all Lucas Film properties into the ground, even Willow, any other big studio executive would've been fired after 1 or 2 massive bombs and yet she's still standing.

Willow has always been in the ground. It's impressive that they dug it up and then run it even deeper into the ground. :hahaha:

• Haha 4

1 minute ago, Mr Roark said:

Indy is a product of the genius of Spielberg and Lucas. To deliver a true, exciting Indy film without them helming it would’ve been an impossible (if not kamikaze) task for any other director.

Coolio said in the DOD thread that Indy without Spielberg is as crazy as Indy without Ford, and he had a real point. I still think Ford is the most irreplaceable element (never recast this part) but every action scene misses the insane skills of Steven.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, BadOlCatSylvester said:

The sheer amount of filmmakers who will never be able to get another theatrical release off the ground ever again will be insane after this summer. Hollywood might be needing some expansions and renovations for their director's jail soon.

Director Australia. 

3 minutes ago, BadOlCatSylvester said:

The sheer amount of filmmakers who will never be able to get another theatrical release off the ground ever again will be insane after this summer. Hollywood might be needing some expansions and renovations for their director's jail soon.

Mangold is a middle aged white guy.  He’ll be fine 👀

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

8 minutes ago, Cmasterclay said:

don't think he is entirely to blame for DoD but he will probably be treated like the scapegoat for Indy 5 and lose his SW film

There is one thing that makes the flop-off battle between Indiana Jones and The Flash a bit interesting:

Indy may have cost 100 million dollars more than The Flash, buuuut The Flash lacked 100-120 million in promotional partners that Indy probably did have, so that could even it out.

Also, WB does have a history of underreporting budgets massively. For Black Adam they spent months claiming the budget was only 200 million, and then we found out it was actually about 250 million. Wouldn't be surprised if it's the same here.

• Like 1