XXR vs XXR

Sound of Freedom || Discussion of The Movie And Its Producers Should be HERE and HERE ONLY || The Report Button Is Your Friend || Keep It Civil

On 8/10/2023 at 4:18 PM, BoxOfficeFangrl said:

Dan Murrrell interviews the head of distribution for Angel Studios, Brandon Purdie. Mostly a box office discussion:

Why are they doing a bunch of "box office analysis" press right now?  Int distribution stuff (but don't see how this helps). It's not like this is happening right as they pass a big round number.

7vngbo.jpg

Edited by PlatnumRoyce

17 hours ago, PlatnumRoyce said:

Why are they doing a bunch of "box office analysis" press right now?  Int distribution stuff (but don't see how this helps). It's not like this is happening right as they pass a big round number.

and another interview, now with the director.

https://www.latimes.com/entertainment-arts/movies/story/2023-08-14/sound-of-freedom-movie-director-alejandro-monteverde-box-office-controversy

I really do think it's undeniable that this guy's getting 

Monteverde sat down with Variety via Zoom hours before catching a flight to Colombia for the start of the film’s international rollout. The 45-year-old helmer talked about the challenges of his film getting caught in the culture-war crosshairs and whether a sequel is in the cards.  -- (shorter article) https://variety.com/2023/film/features/sound-of-freedom-director-controversy-calls-qanon-untrue-1235694549/

so this is all about INT rollout.

18 hours ago, filmnerdjamie said:

It was on a shelf because of Covid, and then people thought it was going to be very hard to market because people only wanted to see “happy” movies after Covid, so at one point, I thought, “No one is ever going to see this movie.” At one point, I was like, ‘Well, let’s just go streaming. At least people will see it on streaming.’ As a filmmaker, you want people to see your work. Obviously, you want them to see it on the big screen, but if I had to choose “streaming or not streaming,” I’ll choose streaming, obviously. And that’s [where] we ended up.

which matches what other people have been saying about other films that were big successes in 2021-2023. 

ATL: So those 6400 people who contributed to the crowdfunding campaign only helped raise funds for P&A?

Monteverde: Yeah, for P&A, but only a small part of the P&A because it’s regulated by the government. I don’t know the number, but it’s not much. You’re regulated by the government, how much you can crowdfund it. I don’t know the number but it’s public. You can find it out, and it’s a small amount.

So the ~5M P&A spend wasn't the entirety of the P&A budget. 

More to the point, Sony isn’t making these ticket sales up: Gran Turismo‘s cash is right there in Comscore with the preview box office included in Friday. They were also upfront in the press that they were holding advance previews for Gran Turismo. This isn’t a scenario of Angels Studios and Sound of Freedom, which many perceive has $10M-$20M bloated in their $180.5M running domestic cume due to double counting off the distributor’s own side ticket sales web portal (read, many distribs’ off Comscore numbers saw Indiana Jones and the Dial of Destiny beating Sound of Freedom on its July 4th opening day, $11.6M to $11.1M despite Angel calling the Jim Caviezel pic’s first day at $14.2M) - https://deadline.com/2023/08/box-office-gran-turismo-barbie-blue-beetle-1235528051/

Getting some sound of freedom gripes' specific claims

And here is the press release from opening day. 

https://www.angel.com/press/release/angel-studios-pay-it-forward-technology-propels-sound-of-freedom-to-1-movie

SOUND OF FREEDOM: Studio Reported July 4th Results

• Theater count: 2,634

• Direct Box Office through 7/4: $11,563,260  

• Pay it Forward Tickets Sold through 7/4: $2,678,803

• 7/4 Total: $14,242,063    

Pay it Forward Tickets Sold through 7/4

In later reports they've clarified they don't count PIF tickets until they've been used but "through" implies they included all PiF tickets sold/donated through the film's OD even if unredeemed. 

Edited by PlatnumRoyce

https://www.vice.com/en/article/pkaqvn/tim-ballards-departure-from-operation-underground-railroad-followed-sexual-misconduct-investigation

Tim Ballard’s exit from Operation Underground Railroad earlier this year followed an investigation into claims of sexual misconduct involving seven women, according to sources with direct knowledge of the organization.

Sources familiar with the situation said that the self-styled anti-slavery activist, who appears to be preparing for a Senate run, invited women to act as his “wife” on undercover overseas missions ostensibly aimed at rescuing victims of sex trafficking. He would then allegedly coerce those women into sharing a bed or showering together, claiming that it was necessary to fool traffickers. Ballard, who was played by Jim Caviezel in the hit film Sound of Freedom, is said to have sent at least one woman a photo of himself in his underwear, festooned with fake tattoos, and to have asked another “how far she was willing to go,” in the words of a source, to save children. These sources requested anonymity because they fear retaliation.

Time for a sequel?

Scared Homer Simpson GIF by reactionseditor

• Astonished 1

1 hour ago, KC7 said:

I figured with the limelight and controversy surrounding Ballard, that any allegations against him would have been unearthed sooner. But it fits the pattern of blowhards loudly positioning themselves as publicly "vigilant" about things they are privately obsessed with. And of course these types never care about eradicating the other kinds of human trafficking that aren't "lurid".

What will Angel Studios say? Will this news hurt their grift of fans crowdfunding the P&A and (overpriced) free tickets for the flock? I mean, bless them if they can get donors to pay costs that other studios absorb themselves, but it's not going to last forever.

• Like 1