XXR vs XXR

Sound of Freedom || Discussion of The Movie And Its Producers Should be HERE and HERE ONLY || The Report Button Is Your Friend || Keep It Civil

To clarify the tweet, from internet posting, it seems this guy was one of the 7000 crowdfunders for the movie...and that's it.  So, he effectively bought a Kickstarter.  So, he may have overstated his actual participation on the movie JUST a tad...which would be in keeping with his now revealed character...

• Like 4

Believe what you want and as much as this guy probably doesn't have much to do with production of the movie overall I think it speaks volumes about the people willing to support it and avoiding addressing the more common issues of child sexual abuse happening stated earlier.  I'll admit I don't get it. The reaction to my Australian small town theatre announcing they're getting it got over 100 likes on Facebook which is more than anything I've ever seen here. It was full of comments thanking them for getting such an "important movie". As much as I want to be happy for this movie being successful in a theatrically dull climate I can't help but feel it is being championed too much by people who have the wrong idea of child sex trafficking, abuse and heroism. I'd much rather a movie like The Tale or Swallow get this kind of recognition, but the reality of those movies may sit a little too close to home to people not willing to confront that even if it needs to be addressed. 

• Like 2

As much as it's become popular to dunk on this due to some of the dubious people involved and the hollow nature of the "Pay It Forward" of it all (buying a movie ticket isn't activism, it's just filling up the bank accounts of studio executives lol but I digress), I will say I enjoyed what a sensation this became just because it's been bringing out people to the theater telling us they don't get out often without telling us they don't get out often. There is always the option of, you know, leaving the auditorium and getting a refund and seeing the movie at another theater like a normal person.

Those of us who have made it a habit to get out to the movie theater at least once a week on average: we are truly the 1%.

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, Fanboy said:

Believe what you want and as much as this guy probably doesn't have much to do with production of the movie overall I think it speaks volumes about the people willing to support it and avoiding addressing the more common issues of child sexual abuse happening stated earlier.  I'll admit I don't get it. The reaction to my Australian small town theatre announcing they're getting it got over 100 likes on Facebook which is more than anything I've ever seen here. It was full of comments thanking them for getting such an "important movie". As much as I want to be happy for this movie being successful in a theatrically dull climate I can't help but feel it is being championed too much by people who have the wrong idea of child sex trafficking, abuse and heroism. I'd much rather a movie like The Tale or Swallow get this kind of recognition, but the reality of those movies may sit a little too close to home to people not willing to confront that even if it needs to be addressed. 

Not everyone who saw Sound of Freedom is like this, but to some people it's almost like "international child sex trafficking" is more...interesting to them, in a way, than systemic abuses of children in scouting/religious/youth sports organizations. I doubt most of them have the same fervor to "Do something!" about migrant children working on American farms, or overnight shifts in slaughterhouses or fast food places...

As to why some forms of child abuse galvanize people into "action" more than others.... I don't believe it's all projection, but those types would be drawn to a movie like SoF (not to say the entire audience is like that). I imagine it's like how you get the firefighter who turns out to be an arsonist, the mystery writer revealed as a murderer, or those nurses who secretly kill their patients: people inwardly obsessed with terrible acts latch onto a "respectable" way to publicly associate with the subject.

Also, an action movie or thriller is going to have a different appeal than a straight drama about a tough subject. The action against the "bad guys" makes it feel like something is being done and so it is cathartic, in a way.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

People are free to watch and enjoy whatever they want, but I find it pretty obnoxious how many of the supporters of this movie are trying to act like anyone who doesn’t support it and view it as the most important film of the century doesn’t care about children or is a pedo. That’s no different from saying that not liking Crash makes you racist. 

You’re not going to help end child trafficking by watching this. It’s just a movie. 

Edited by WittyUsername
  • Like 3
  • Heart 5
  • Thanks 2

6 hours ago, PlatnumRoyce said:

In links for other projects at angel studios ("invest.angelstudios") getting your name in the credits requires a $500-$2k donation. So this guy presumably donated <=.2% of P&A funds raised. 

A hazard of relying on unvetted randos to crowdfund P&A budgets... It wasn't even an actor in SoF or some top exec with the production/studio, but one alleged creep who donated a few grand to a multi-million dollar Kickstarter, years after production wrapped.

And now it's an Angel Studios problem: the media will always go with the most sensational angle ("Major financier!") and detractors have been seeking out any "Gotcha!" they could find. Reporters and others will keep digging, and if they find similar stories among other investors...

• Like 6

Well that doesn’t surprise me, most people i see online championing the movie here in Brazil (without seeing it btw) have profiles with loads of homophobic, racist and fascist posts 

While i’m sure not everyone who likes it is an awful person, is undeniable this movie have a lot of awful supporters 

• Like 6

https://www.thebulwark.com/podcast-episode/how-2023s-oddest-box-office-hit-paid-it-forward/

Good, interesting podcast by Angel Studio's COO on his studio’s unique business model, funding decisions, & if the pay-it-forward model could work for other types of movies e.g. civil rights dramas and how the pay-it-forward system impacts the box office.

From this interview it suggests he thinks the investor as pull aspect is being underrated. 

Edited by PlatnumRoyce
  • Like 1

the note on Twitter says the following:

The post inflates the gravity of the situation - Mr. Marta is charged as an accessory for renting an apartment to a legal guardian who violated a child custody agreement - he is not charged with taking the child from their legal guardians. https://www.kmov.com/2023/08/04/chesterfield-man-charged-with-accessory-child-kidnapping-donated-anti-child-trafficking-movie-newsweek-report-claims/?outputType=amp

seems like a pretty silly story overall; considering how tame it is, im sure it wouldn't be too hard to find another investor whos done something worse

Edited by interiorgatordecorator
  • Like 1