baumer

Weekday numbers July 10-13

54 minutes ago, Xavier said:

Is it true that right wing groups buy tickets to inflate grosses, therefore the interest in this is actually artificial? Grace Randolph said so.

52 minutes ago, ChipDerby said:

Grace is right on this one.

Careful. Unless there’s concrete proof of this happening large-scale, this is gonna start sounding like the “Disney and the libs are mass-buying Captain Marvel tickets to make it seem like a hit” idiots. Don’t stoop to their level, please.

• Like 11

IMO that idea to create interest (with free tickets for those who are interested bought by other people) is quite good and could work for others films too (of course not always).

The only "problem" is that you need enough people with interest.

It also worked for Sound of Freedom because many people wrote positive reviews (IMO no fake reviews, many reported details and had spoiler warnings) e.g. on RT and imdb. Probably now it's also discussed on all conservative forums of newspapers etc. When I saw more than 500 verified ratings (Rotten Tomatoes) already last Monday I knew it will surprise.

Edited by el sid

Just now, DAJK said:

Careful. Unless there’s concrete proof of this happening large-scale, this is gonna start sounding like the “Disney and the libs are mass-buying Captain Marvel tickets to make it seem like a hit” idiots. Don’t stoop to their level, please.

I'm absolutely sure the free ticket/bulk buying thing IS happening for this movie. I've seriously heard it promoted to me as a "free movie!" I don't care what "their level" is when it's clearly happening in the real world and I know at least one industry (publishing) that's had its stats screwed up from this level of spam already!

If DR1 disappoints, and people seem to think it will, what with the general air of “everything flops until Barbenheimer opens”, the lack of PLF screens to go around, the AWFUL timing to open this movie, the seeming consensus that the MI franchise peaked with Fallout etc, then the series should end with DR2.

If the goodwill from Fallout and TGM, the stellar reviews and the high audience score could not help it,  then nothing will. The MI series has a ceiling and it has been reached.

Maybe this will remind Tom that he used to be an actor and a serious one at that. This stunt guy routine does not do him

justice and there are only so many times that he can sell a movie based on the practical/look at me I’m doing it myself shtick.

…or, you know, bring back Cavill in DR2 and let him reload his arms. With his shirt off.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, MightyDargon said:

I'm absolutely sure the free ticket/bulk buying thing IS happening for this movie. I've seriously heard it promoted to me as a "free movie!" I don't care what "their level" is when it's clearly happening in the real world and I know at least one industry (publishing) that's had its stats screwed up from this level of spam already!

There’s a difference between a pay it forward marketing campaign (which, as someone who couldn’t care less about the movie, is a brilliant marketing strategy) and a “oh it’s all a conspiracy to inflate the interest of the movie” BS.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 3

3 minutes ago, DAJK said:

There’s a difference between a pay it forward marketing campaign (which, as someone who couldn’t care less about the movie, is a brilliant marketing strategy) and a “oh it’s all a conspiracy to inflate the interest of the movie” BS.

It's not a "conspiracy" if it's completely evident what they're doing and you're simply denying it because you think the BO trajectory is unique. Money always comes from somewhere, even if things are promoted as "free".

*gets back from work*

Damn, what a long day. Time to relax and see what my fellow BOT users have to say about the weekday. Hopefully nothing too insane!

*opening chat and seeing 10 pages arguing about Elemental, Sound of Freedom, and MI7 vs. Barbie*cover2.jpg

Edited by LegionWrex
  • Haha 8

2 hours ago, ThomasNicole said:

Didn’t the second movie bomb hard? 

They’re really trying to recapture a lightning in a bottle with this

I mean...no? 90.6M off an 18M budget, 5 times the cost to make it, is still a success and a good return on investment. Obviously not the same as the first movie, but nobody lost anything on this.

2 hours ago, BadOlCatSylvester said:

This is going to be such a pathetic flop. A sequel no one ever asked for in a genre which stopped making money nearly a decade ago. Who did Nia blackmail to get this greenlit?

Probably nobody. These movies are inexpensive, the last film still did okay, Tom Hanks and Rita Wilson still have pull as producers. It's not that big a mystery.

3 minutes ago, interiorgatordecorator said:

how does sound of freedom still have a 100% audience score on RT (5000+ reviews)

Considering how big it's gotten and the discourse around it, I'm surprised it hasn't attracted enough "hate-watchers" to knock it down to at least 99%

I was told that the way RT works even ONE negative review would drop it to 99%.

10 minutes ago, Xavier said:

If DR1 disappoints, and people seem to think it will, what with the general air of “everything flops until Barbenheimer opens”, the lack of PLF screens to go around, the AWFUL timing to open this movie, the seeming consensus that the MI franchise peaked with Fallout etc, then the series should end with DR2.

If the goodwill from Fallout and TGM, the stellar reviews and the high audience score could not help it,  then nothing will. The MI series has a ceiling and it has been reached.

Maybe this will remind Tom that he used to be an actor and a serious one at that. This stunt guy routine does not do him

justice and there are only so many times that he can sell a movie based on the practical/look at me I’m doing it myself shtick.

Perfectly said!

7 minutes ago, interiorgatordecorator said:

how does sound of freedom still have a 100% audience score on RT (5000+ reviews)

Considering how big it's gotten and the discourse around it, I'm surprised it hasn't attracted enough "hate-watchers" to knock it down to at least 99%

Has to go below 99.5%

45 minutes ago, Deep Wang said:

All the PIF money should count for sure, it's someone buying a ticket after all. I think some people are worried because this seems like a way you could potentially massage the numbers in favorable ways.  Not saying they are with this movie, but there are definitely some grifters that are watching this and getting ideas lol.  

I used to follow the music charts, and there was a phase of artists boosting their album sales by automatically including an album copy when you bought a concert ticket. Then, the chart rules changed to make that harder, and singers had to find new ways to game the charts.

Block booking in the movie exhibition business historically meant an entirely different thing than one party buying movie tickets for others:

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Block_booking

Pay It Forward is a bit different than businesses/churches/schools/etc buying group tickets and/or renting out theaters for current movies...but not entirely? I guess technically the studio isn't involved there, but what about stars who rent out theaters for disadvantaged communities? For example, Octavia Spencer rented out a theater for free screenings of Black Panther, which she was not a part of, but also Hidden Figures, in which she starred. Wouldn't that be a business expense or a charity write-off? And a theater rental for a current movie would count toward its box office. That link also mentions individual GoFundMe drives for similar screenings. So, people have already been doing less centralized versions of buying tickets for strangers for years.

2 minutes ago, BoxOfficeFangrl said:

I used to follow the music charts, and there was a phase of artists boosting their album sales by automatically including an album copy when you bought a concert ticket. Then, the chart rules changed to make that harder, and singers had to find new ways to game the charts.

Block booking in the movie exhibition business historically meant an entirely different thing than one party buying movie tickets for others:

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Block_booking

Pay It Forward is a bit different than businesses/churches/schools/etc buying group tickets and/or renting out theaters for current movies...but not entirely? I guess technically the studio isn't involved there, but what about stars who rent out theaters for disadvantaged communities? For example, Octavia Spencer rented out a theater for free screenings of Black Panther, which she was not a part of, but also Hidden Figures, in which she starred. Wouldn't that be a business expense or a charity write-off? And a theater rental for a current movie would count toward its box office. That link also mentions individual GoFundMe drives for similar screenings. So, people have already been doing less centralized versions of buying tickets for strangers for years.

Meaning the movie industry had been padded/dying for a few years before it became as obvious a case as this.  Depending on how far the actual paying customer base falls I expect more desperation in the future, especially if actors want to pad the movie grosses to protect their salaries in whatever arrangement the union actually arrives at.

Like i hoped and expected, Mission Impossible 7 cured my depression but then gave me another one because 1) i have to wait for Part 2 and mainly 2) i could never hope to ever have a girlfriend like Hayley Atwell or Rebecca Ferguson but then it cured it again by reminding me that i atleast live in a timeline where i can see them on the big screen in a Dolby Atmos Theater.

Life is not only suffering guys. Its also about looking for nuggets of optimism.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Eric Stickell said:

I mean...no? 90.6M off an 18M budget, 5 times the cost to make it, is still a success and a good return on investment. Obviously not the same as the first movie, but nobody lost anything on this.

Probably nobody. These movies are inexpensive, the last film still did okay, Tom Hanks and Rita Wilson still have pull as producers. It's not that big a mystery.

The MBFGW films being profitable is the only reason a third one is being made and likely it'll do decent OS. 

Universal and Focus always has a couple of inexpensive movies that do well OS but nothing domestically. Johnny English comes to mind, all three films were profitable just from OS.