baumer

Weekday numbers July 10-13

11 minutes ago, Liiviig 1998 said:

TBF MCU is way more popular franchise domestic than Mission impossible.

At the start of the year think considerable number of us had quantumania beating  DR domestically.

As a Marvel fan, I’m not sure if anyone not well versed in comics understand how incredibly hilarious this is to us. I mean I love Paul Rudd, Ant-Man is a cool character and all, but he was never able to sustain a solo comic book in what, 60 years. And this is unlike literally any other of the MCU characters that get to have their own films. It almost feels like Feige was trolling to prove that they could make a trilogy out of anything, because it still amazes me that happened.

I do think that both Ant-Man and Wasp have great potential as part of the Avengers or even as mentors of the Young Avengers, Avengers Academy or something. Okay maybe not Wasp. But Paul Rudd’s Scott Lang is cool. Just not carrying a film by himself cool. 

Edited by ZattMurdock

14 minutes ago, Liiviig 1998 said:

How dominion made 150M with so so WOM still baffles me.

GVK made close to 190m in March 2021.

F9 made 216M.

Since the covid restrictions late last year. China has never been the same in regards to Hollywood

Yeah they loosened bans on marvel and other Hollywood tentpoles this year but it's still been just bleak for the most part.

The fact that it has good CGI and amazing dinosaurs was worth the ticket. It DID disappoint me, but the dinosaurs themselves were enough to pay a ticket to watch the movie. Also, China likes monster/dinosaur movies (just wait for those Megillion dollars when the Meg 2 is finally out).

I think China is done as a large market for American movies for awhile. IMO, the geopolitical situation plays into that. It's just unrealistic to expect any Hollywood movie to do large business in China.

SOF is maybe the biggest surprise for me since Passion of Christ. 

Sort of reminds me that while most big American blockbusters are now made in Atlanta rather than Hollywood, it is still Hollywood studios that drive what movies get made. Hollywood is largely made up of Coastal city elites making movies that appeal to Coastal city denizens. I think movies like TGM and SOF show that there is alot of money to be made if Hollywood wants to make movies that appeal to the non Coastal, city population, but that is not what Hollywood wants to make for the most part.

Note, that doesn't mean you have to pander to others. Just make movies they can relate to and identify with. 

As far as MI:7. I think we need to give it some time to see legs rather than make alot of hot takes. I was hoping there would be a TGM halo effect, but that really doesn't seem to be the case. I expect it to perform in the same range as most other MI movies, just like I expect Oppenheimer to perform in the general Nolan range.  Barbie looks like the one (along with SOF) that is going to explode, which Hollywood can really use right now.

16 minutes ago, ZattMurdock said:

I love JMS. Big fan of his initial Amazing Spider-Man run and Babylon 5 too. He is taking over Captain America’s comics soon, it will be the first time that I’ll be reading Captain America since Ed Brubaker left the books.

Not really a big fan of Captain America in the comics as I am of his in film, but I’ll be all over this.

Well you know more about him then I do, I just thought it was interesting that something like Sense8 which I think had the reputation of a flop at the time still retains value for Netflix years after the fact. It’s a shame they never gave it its full potential. 

52 minutes ago, John Marston said:

The fact that DR likely won’tsniff 200 million while a shitty, horrendous Ant-Man film with awful CGI and  storytelling and with actual lines like “don’t be a dick”  still somehow went over 200 million is pretty deflating. Makes me want to step away from box office tbh

50 minutes ago, Maggie said:

What does Ant Man have to do with DR? These Marvel movies have a fanbase. Don't need to insult Antman just because DR is flopping hard

It isn't a franchise vs a franchise but a terrible movie vs a great one where the terrible movie still crossed a milestone that seems out of reach to the great one. Built in fandom or not, the point is that bad WOM and reviews didn't sink the shitshow below its domestic threashold while great reviews, WOM and consistent excellency of the franchise at least for that last 3-4 installments aren't boosting another great one. Frustration makes sense to me. 

Edited by Valonqar
  • Like 6

12 minutes ago, lab276 said:

Well you know more about him then I do, I just thought it was interesting that something like Sense8 which I think had the reputation of a flop at the time still retains value for Netflix years after the fact. It’s a shame they never gave it its full potential. 

I remember liking the first season of Sense8, but never watched the second season because it got cancelled not long afterwards the second season dropped iirc. I hate getting attached to series and them getting unceremoniously cancelled and Sense8’s cancelation was the first in a series that made me not get too attached to Netflix stuff, not even the Marvel tv shows. Ironically, I never watched Daredevil’s 3rd season for the very same reason. I don’t remember being that much pissed off at a streaming service as I did when they pulled that stunt with the Marvel TV crew, and I was pissed knowing that Ike Perlmutter was pissed too, which is odd since I hated him since I came to know about his existence, and worse when the Sony emails leaked.

I should give Sense8 another go, maybe rewatch the first season and then watch the second season. The Wachowkis seem fated to create underrated cult classics, it seems.

Edited by ZattMurdock
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, MovieMan89 said:

I still don’t believe this doesn’t beat Fallout DOM. Let’s see the weekend. Never forget Shrek 2 looked like a huge summer sequel flop before the opening weekend lol. 

Shrek 2 changed the release date late in the game if I remember correctly which explained why the bad early performance. Nowadays it's pretty easy to know when a movie is coming out

1 hour ago, ZattMurdock said:

As a Marvel fan, I’m not sure if anyone not well versed in comics understand how incredibly hilarious this is to us. I mean I love Paul Rudd, Ant-Man is a cool character and all, but he was never able to sustain a solo comic book in what, 60 years. And this is unlike literally any other of the MCU characters that get to have their own films. It almost feels like Feige was trolling to prove that they could make a trilogy out of anything, because it still amazes me that happened.

I do think that both Ant-Man and Wasp have great potential as part of the Avengers or even as mentors of the Young Avengers, Avengers Academy or something. Okay maybe not Wasp. But Paul Rudd’s Scott Lang is cool. Just not carrying a film by himself cool. 

To be fair he did carry two solo movies to decent numbers and pretty decent reviews. And quantumania hardly failed because antman wasn't interesting, if it had been a better film it probably would've done 250-300 easy

So I wake up seeing all this doom and gloom about Mission thinking oh sh-t it must have been like 6 for thursday or something. Oh wait the thursday  number have not been released yet. 8.2 was charlies number last night. So the last few pages have been the usual irrational doom and gloom. This place is truly a insane asylum,  Empire City is right. Too bad he had to be an abusive jerk and get himself banned for life. 

• Knock It Off 1

1 minute ago, emoviefan said:

So I wake up seeing all this doom and gloom about Mission thinking oh sh-t it must have been like 6 for thursday or something. Oh wait the thursday  number have not been released yet. 8.2 was charlies number last night. So the last few pages have been the usual irrational doom and gloom. This place is truly a insane asylum,  Empire City is right. Too bad he had to be an abusive jerk and get himself banned for life. 

remember the doom and gloom is out of sadness that a very well made action film is underperforming and the worry over the future for films like this 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, John Marston said:

remember the doom and gloom is out of sadness that a very well made action film is underperforming and the worry over the future for films like this 

Yeah I am disappointed too this is not doing a skyfall like breakout. But why don't we wait until sunday  when we get the weekend estimates or at least tonight or tomorrow morning when the friday estimates hit. 163 minute long movie playing to an audience that is not going to take a day off work to go to this movie. It feels like groundhog day i have to keep repeating this. Now i have to go to work so I will not be commenting on here all day like others seem too. 

As much as the stories around Sound of Freedom are questionable, it's run at the box office really is stunning.

The pay it forward thing might be helping but now folks are going on their own to see it. It's kind of the "Christian viral" thing that happened with Passion of the Christ years ago.

Again, I don't endorse the politics of the actor or even the real guy in the movie (my understanding is that he's even left the O.U.R group in real life) but purely from a BO perspective its an interesting phenomenon.

Edited by Deathlife
  • Like 1

Just now, emoviefan said:

Yeah I am disappointed too this is not doing a skyfall like breakout. But why don't we wait until sunday  when we get the weekend estimates or at least tonight or tomorrow morning when the friday estimates hit. 163 minute long movie playing to an audience that is not going to take a day off work to go to this movie. It feels like groundhog day i have to keep repeating this. Now i have to go to work so I will not be commenting on here all day like others seem too. 

I do think it could very well bounce back over the weekend, but I think the ceiling for what it can do has been lowered based on these first few numbers.  A smaller start with Barbieheimer looming just over the horizon isn't great combo.  Obviously, if it turns it around people will be very excited and overjoyed at being wrong.  

• Like 2

15,5 - 8.5 - 12.5 - 16.5 - 12.5 (+2.5M previews yet to be counted) -> 68M 5 day OW.

I am sorry but I can't look. I can't be here this weekend.

• Haha 1
  • Sad 4

3 minutes ago, emoviefan said:

Maybe in a world where covid never happened.

Charlie predicting 400-450m OS for now.

Hope this pulls a guardians 3

5 minutes ago, Liiviig 1998 said:

Maybe in a world where covid never happened.

Charlie predicting 400-450m OS for now.

Hope this pulls a guardians 3

450+180 domestic = 630 worldwide which means no profit made on a 290 million budget not including marketing. Paramount is in trouble 

Edited by John Marston
  • Like 1