baumer

Weekday numbers July 10-13

Love to see that Thursday increase for Elemental. I was also worried how it would hold up in Korea due to MI7 release as MI series is big in Korea but so far it looks like Elemental is only gonna have a 20% drop this weekend which would still be 50% higher than OW. What a crazy run to follow !!

5 minutes ago, baumer said:

So you're saying you think this thing has a shot at 200 million? That's a little bit too optimistic for me. One of Indy or dad reckoning are going to make it to 180. I'm not sure sound of freedom is going to have that much juice

All things being equal and it behaves like movies normally do, it's going to increase this weekend right?  At worst it stays flat.  That means it's $80m-ish after this weekend, if not more.  

So just after this weekend it's at $80m and hasn't even started dropping yet, and once it does why would the drops be massive?  Unless something with the release changes and they can't do PIF anymore or whatever, I'm not accounting for that, how could I lol.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Eric Stickell said:

lmfao what?

I guess it's the assumption is that many women aren't so interested in action heroines (at least, compared to men interested in action heroes).

I'm not sure if this assumption is right. However, I know there are action shows full of (good looking) guys that are very popular among the female audience even though there are no female characters in relevant roles.

With certain 2023 films, a lot of the budgets are due to shutdowns and added costs which won't be around for films that were filmed either last year or anything that filmed and wrapped this year. This is why screaming at studios over high budgets is useless, they're likely aware that the budget they greenlit a film for went massively over. 

• Like 3

On 7/13/2023 at 3:48 PM, TheFlatLannister said:

Switching gears a bit…Barbie looks like it won’t breakout in Asia which will probably kill the $1B dream.

$130M/$400M/$800M?? 

I think 1B is possible but it is indeed a hard task. It needs something like 410M DOM + 280M Europe + 220M Latam + 100 Asia

Surprise deadline hasn't come out with an early Friday number for mission Impossible and an extrapolation for the entire weekend LOL

July BO break $400m by Thursday. If it wasn't for SoF to offset the Indy 5 + MI7 underperformance, I would have doubt if July will beat 2022's $1.13bn, given that Barbieheimer will only come in the second half of July.  July BO should hit $600m by the time when Barbieheimer hit theater and that one gigantic week should push the July to above $1bn and the final weekend further push the number to $1.2bn+. That is it, we are back to pre-pandemic level of BO.    

16 minutes ago, Deep Wang said:

All things being equal and it behaves like movies normally do, it's going to increase this weekend right?  At worst it stays flat.  That means it's $80m-ish after this weekend, if not more.  

So just after this weekend it's at $80m and hasn't even started dropping yet, and once it does why would the drops be massive?  Unless something with the release changes and they can't do PIF anymore or whatever, I'm not accounting for that, how could I lol.

This is why I have the OW at $55M still, which combined from Wed-Thurs would around $75M-ish for the 5-day. Seems a bit low when looking at it's budget but like I've mentioned before, $55M would be around the same 3-day opening as Rogue Nation had. It would also have a bigger opening 5-day then Rogue Nation had as well (though tbf Rogue Nation opened on a Friday, not a 1-to-1 comparison).

Turns out Rogue Nation is the baseline for the series after all. 

26 minutes ago, Kon said:

I guess it's the assumption is that many women aren't so interested in action heroines (at least, compared to men interested in action heroes).

I'm not sure if this assumption is right. However, I know there are action shows full of (good looking) guys that are very popular among the female audience even though there are no female characters in relevant roles.

Unfortunately, it’s true for some women. My friend said she prefers male-led action movies. To be honest (and to my shame) I agree. 

2 hours ago, IronJimbo & Sheldon's Son said:

Really happy I predicted over 20m this week in the derby now

The bible about to become required reading for 2025(I think) box office predictors 

Edited by interiorgatordecorator
  • Disbelief 1

3 minutes ago, interiorgatordecorator said:

The bible about to become required reading for 2025 box office predictors 

This is not a religious based movie. It's about child trafficking and that's it.

3 minutes ago, Austin said:

It's not even a religious movie

not talking about SOF, but there's going to be huge amounts of audience overlap between it and (what I assume will be) the big one (passion 2)

Edited by interiorgatordecorator
  • Like 1