CJohn

TOM CRUISE LOVES HIS POPCORN. MOVIES. POPCORN: THE WEEKEND THREAD | We are just waiting for Barbenheimer here

On the pay it forward tickets...

Are we also going to complain about the 2 free ticket deals I posted this week - one that gave 2 Atom tickets free for Cobweb and 1 that gave $30 off 4 TMNT tickets on Fandango (ala free tickets for cheap Tuesday)?  If not, why not, b/c rather than getting the revenue to studios, this is pure loss for someone b/c there's no indentifiable full price payer...and both probably gave the deals on opening presale day so they wouldn't get unbooked (Cobweb for July 21) or underset (TMNT) later...

I mean, I have 4 free tickets to TMNT that Fandango says got $30 of payment, and that didn't come from me...

Edit to Add: Or the $5 PLF tickets for TMobile Atom users for the films this year, where some combo of the phone users, the film, and Atom picked up the extra $20 per ticket (since these tend to be heavy PLF, heavy city purchases) that probably got put into film revenue.  With 80 MILLION codes floating, this can be a huge cost - ask them about Spidey or JW4...

Edited by TwoMisfits
  • Like 7
  • Heart 1

2 hours ago, M37 said:

No Way Home also sold out like crazy and Encanto was the back-up option for families who showed up and got left out. I don’t think Barbie will have a similar spillover effect, being less of a family draw. I’m thinking more -35% (pending theater/show volume cuts)

Encanto also had an imminent Disney plus release so I don't know if that's the best comparison 

How has @across the Jat verse formed such a network all across the world where he gets the box office estimates before recognized trade analysts. Jatinder lives a rural village in Punjab, India and knows about the box office trends in Maryland or Florida better than trade analysts living in LA. This is mind boggling!! He was the first one to tell us that Paramount is adding 2.5 million from preview shows to their Friday numbers. How the hell did he know that before any of the trade analysts? Does anyone know how he became such a beast of a box office analyst? 

• Like 7

Re the big swings talk, Hollywood has never given a random director nine figures to make whatever they want. There's always had to have been some kind of hook whether it be a famous actor or reputable director/studio. So I think it's unfair to say original movies aren't big swings just because they have some insurance in the form of their pedigree, and in Elemental's case even that was in serious doubt all the way up to and past its opening weekend.

Edited by AniNate

20 minutes ago, WorkingonaName said:

I would pay forward 100 tickets for DR. 

Realistically speaking you could buy a hundred tickets to any movie that you wanted to and give them away to a woman's shelter or people on the street or your friends or your family or strangers. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, baumer said:

Realistically speaking you could buy a hundred tickets to any movie that you wanted to and give them away to a woman's shelter or people on the street or your friends or your family or strangers. 

Or to flouncing gay guys named Chaz who isn’t battered but will find a man to beat this bussy up like it owes them money 

1 minute ago, Chaz said:

Or to flouncing gay guys named Chaz who isn’t battered but will find a man to beat this bussy up like it owes them money 

That too

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Litio said:

af699721767a323269af59dd7952e405.jpeg

If Paramount did the same with M:IDR, $500m DOM would be locked. Movie ticket charity should be a thing 😔

What percentage of tickets sold for SoF

2 hours ago, MrHardapple said:

Around 10% of the total gross of SoF are from Pay it Forward tickets.

So even without this, it would be a huge hit.

Are the pay it forward tickets counted toward the gross when they are purchased or when they are used?

Even if you take 10% away its numbers are sort of astonishing.

4 minutes ago, TheFlatLannister said:

Honestly, Luiz is right. $700M is the new $1B and $400M is the new $700M. 

I feel like the Collapse of China has a reliable market is the reason for this, a billion without China is the same as it was in the 2010s. 

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, TwoMisfits said:

Are we also going to complain about the 2 free ticket deals I posted this week - one that gave 2 Atom tickets free for Cobweb and 1 that gave $30 off 4 TMNT tickets on Fandango (ala free tickets for cheap Tuesday)?  If not, why not, b/c rather than getting the revenue to studios, this is pure loss for someone b/c there's no indentifiable full price payer...and both probably gave the deals on opening presale day so they wouldn't get unbooked (Cobweb for July 21) or underset (TMNT) later...

I mean, I have 4 free tickets to TMNT that Fandango says got $30 of payment, and that didn't come from me...

Edit to Add: Or the $5 PLF tickets for TMobile Atom users for the films this year, where some combo of the phone users, the film, and Atom picked up the extra $20 per ticket (since these tend to be heavy PLF, heavy city purchases) that probably got put into film revenue.  With 80 MILLION codes floating, this can be a huge cost - ask them about Spidey or JW4...

I always thought those discount codes with ticketing services were funded by the studios in some roundabout way; is that not the case? Especially with The Flash having a "buy 3, get 1 free" the first weekend through Fandango, and an outright BOGO for the second weekend. To me that seemed like WB trying to give it increasingly desperate nudges to improve the box office, so someone at the studio pulled their "emergency lever" with Fandango.

In the tracking threads, Atom codes get brought up and sometimes it seems like the offers can be strategic in when they happen. Some big movie's box office forecast is weak? Here comes Atom to save the day! Maybe it's a simple loss leader on the ticketing service's side but can we be entirely sure?

10 minutes ago, RamblinRed said:

Are the pay it forward tickets counted toward the gross when they are purchased or when they are used?

Even if you take 10% away its numbers are sort of astonishing.

It is my understanding that the tickets are counted for the day the ticket is used by the person who claimed a free ticket.

31 minutes ago, John Marston said:

If possible Dead Reckoning 2 should take Sonic 3’s December 2024 release date 

Honestly this might happen if filming gets delayed due to the strike no? Would be perfect for DR2

1 hour ago, TwoMisfits said:

I don’t think that’s the same thing. 

Mainly because you claim your own deal and you know who uses it. It’s different from clicking the button on a website and assuming a stranger uses it. 

But it seems Hollywood is treating this as all above board. So it’ll definitely be interesting to see which films use this tactic next. I’m sure cinemas are enjoying it as long as the customers are buying concessions when they get there with their free tickets. 

Edited by Krissykins

1 hour ago, ZeroHour said:

One of the beauties of the movie business is you can’t always see these things coming and it’s hard to recreate the magic of the last thing. The sad thing is how much energy Hollywood wastes trying to recreate past successes. So many movies were trying to position themselves as the next Top Gun Maverick this year and failed. After the MCU hit it big, we’ve had a million cinematic universes crash and burn. The magic of Barbie will be hard to recreate and certainly doesn’t mean that people want every obscure toy to become a movie. 

Okay then.....Ms. Pac-Man (combines the best of Mario and Barbie) the movie won't be a thing??? Damn!!!

Edited by jedijake
  • Haha 1