CJohn

TOM CRUISE LOVES HIS POPCORN. MOVIES. POPCORN: THE WEEKEND THREAD | We are just waiting for Barbenheimer here

Is there any particular reason why horror always(?) does well at the box office? I'm absolutely baffled. Is it because it has loyal genre fans or something? Or are horror movies more fit for a communal experience rather than streaming them home alone?

Edited by Marathon

6 minutes ago, filmlover said:

I think those three are probably the safest of all tbh. They're franchises with built-in fanbases, they wouldn't be exactly hurt by the stars being unable to promote them when everyone already knows they exist (assuming they don't already have a bunch of promo already shot and waiting to be released in preparation that this strike lasts until October).

The scheduling of these three so close together was already crazy though (especially after looking at this June pileup). If studios are suddenly going to have a huge lack of product, they should at least space out what they have left. If the strike goes deep into Fall, it’s hard to see either DP3 or CA: BNW making that May date. It’ll be a clue that studios expect this to go for awhile if The Marvels is pushed back into that slot. 

17 minutes ago, ThomasNicole said:

Yeah, i think Dune / Hunger Games / Marvels are the ones with the most chances of changing dates 

But let’s see, the industry is probably fine until September, then the pressure of shareholders will start to get too big. Delaying movies are expensive and can hurt the box office as well, nobody want that.

It’s so insane how things can go this far because they can’t pay people for their work. It’s because of situations like this i always ended up shocked seeing people that believes in meritocracy, there’s a bunch of wildly stupid people running Hollywood and getting millions to take some ridiculous dumb decisions.

Which ones aren't finished right now?  Those would be the likeliest to kick...If they are all done, then they'll only kick if something has to kick and give up a prime 2024 spot...

Just now, Marathon said:

Is there any particular reason why horror always(?) does well at the box office? I'm absolutely baffled. Is it because it has loyal genre fans or something? Or are horror movies more fit for a communal experience rather than streaming them home alone?

Those are part of it.  Plus the budgets remain relatively cheap.

• Like 1

So,outside of China, MI7 is running ahead of MI6 despite the dreadful marketing by Paramount. It’s a worst a ‘fine’ performance.

But people want sensational results I guess and right on cue, the comparisons to The Flash and Indy5 have already started

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Marathon said:

Horror has a wide, loyal demo. Youngsters always going to be interested and once you are a horror fan, you are always going to be, even when you get old. People always going to show up for a few titles a year. Also it's a cheap genre. You can make hits with a low budget, just need a cool concept and clever marketing.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Algebra said:

So,outside of China, MI7 is running ahead of MI6 despite the dreadful marketing by Paramount. It’s a worst a ‘fine’ performance.

But people want sensational results I guess and right on cue, the comparisons to The Flash and Indy5 have already started

IMO Paramount's marketing is fine, they just aren't effective. Domestic BO wise, Indy 5 and MI7 are unfortunately likely finishing in the same range. The July 4 give Indy 5 some boost to save face, something MI7 won't have. The real victory lap for MI7 is the overseas performance, and far stronger WOM.  

7 minutes ago, Algebra said:

problem is we have direct completion coming next week and it loses all premium screens. Not good 

Just now, ThomasNicole said:

Just wait till Nun 2 ended up with 300M despite being a sequel to an awful movie (and looking just as awful) 

Writer of Malignant’s working on that one… maybe…

• Astonished 1

19 minutes ago, Marathon said:

When you keep your budgets usually to under 20 million, it makes it difficult for those movies not to succeed. Even a movie like The Boogeyman which apparently had a 35 million budget looks like it's going to break even if not make a small profit at the theater.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, ThomasNicole said:

Just wait till Nun 2 ended up with 300M despite being a sequel to an awful movie (and looking just as awful) 

I despise the first movie. I'm very intrigued and I'm definitely going to see the second one because in my opinion it was a pretty Kick-Ass trailer.

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, TMP said:

Writer of Malignant’s working on that one… maybe…

That’s my hope but there’s 3 writers on this and the trailer looks so ugly and it’s also from Michael Chaves 

It just have everything to be awful but i’m hopeful i’ll eat crow because i really love the characters on Conjuring 2

1 minute ago, baumer said:

I despise the first movie. I'm very intrigued and I'm definitely going to see the second one because in my opinion it was a pretty Kick-Ass trailer.

The scene of the books and journals together creating the Nun image was dope i’ll give it that

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, John Marston said:

problem is we have direct completion coming next week and it loses all premium screens. Not good 

It sounds crazy to us but a large percentage of the movie going audience would rather watch movies on regular than on PLF screens given the cost. Even then, while MI7 is losing IMAX…DOLBY and others will still be there

12 minutes ago, titanic2187 said:

IMO Paramount's marketing is fine, they just aren't effective. Domestic BO wise, Indy 5 and MI7 are unfortunately likely finishing in the same range. The July 4 give Indy 5 some boost to save face, something MI7 won't have. The real victory lap for MI7 is the overseas performance, and far stronger WOM.  

I don’t agree with your take on Para’s marketing tbh. Slotting all their big budget movies so tight and then not doing any interesting promotions outside of premieres and basic junkets

6 minutes ago, Algebra said:

It sounds crazy to us but a large percentage of the movie going audience would rather watch movies on regular than on PLF screens given the cost. Even then, while MI7 is losing IMAX…DOLBY and others will still be there

I just saw it on a regular screen because none of the IMAX screens in my area have recliner seats and my dad and my brother who i went with don't want to watch 163 minute long movie in without them.