CJohn

TOM CRUISE LOVES HIS POPCORN. MOVIES. POPCORN: THE WEEKEND THREAD | We are just waiting for Barbenheimer here

8 minutes ago, kayumanggi said:

Tbh, not really impressed with the hold after start out a promising limited and wide opening. The 2nd weekend hold of wide expansion was very bad, way worse than French Dispatch (-32%) and Isle of Dogs(-37%). With mega-opener coming next week, $30m dream is gone. I haven't seen the movie but 62% verified audience RT score probably means something for WOM. 

2 minutes ago, ZattMurdock said:

How is that a bad precedent if it’s released on an incredibly similar window to Guardians, Vol. 2 back in 2017?

https://www.dvdsreleasedates.com/movies/7053/guardians-of-the-galaxy-vol-2#:~:text=Guardians of the Galaxy Vol 2 DVD and Blu-ray,iTunes on August 8%2C 2017.

because it wasn’t free on tv four weeks later.   

3 minutes ago, wildphantom said:

because it wasn’t free on tv four weeks later.   

And it isn’t free on tv; it’s on Disney Plus. It’s a paid subscription, and Disney is in the business of adding value to their streaming platform.

8 minutes ago, kayumanggi said:

boooooo

no respect for records

how hard can it be to fudge 400k more so that it ends up over MI2's 5-day

1 minute ago, Mojoguy said:

Disney is putting GOTG3 up on D+ just one day after the physical release. Disney obviously doesn't give a shit about Bluray/4k sales anymore, they are more concerned about keeping D+ subscribers.

I don't think Disney is alone in disregarding physical media 

4 minutes ago, kayumanggi said:

That meh true Wednesday was the beginning of thing going disappointment. Had Wednesday number was $1m higher, things will improve so much by carry over effect. Am also a bit disappointed by Sunday hold wasn't sub-20% like some of the WOM flick like ATSV (-17%) and GOTG3 (-19%). Even TF6 dropped only -17%.      

30 minutes ago, kayumanggi said:

Sorry for being off topic, but this is just bonkers if true. And we wonder why budgets balloon.

I like the Rock, but no one is worth 50 Million up front.

Now making that much because the film is massive hit and you have a precentage of the profits is one thing, but up front.

• Like 1
  • Heart 1

MISSION IMPOSSIBLE SHOWDOWN

Before people freak out over DR's Sunday drop, it is consistently what the franchise does. Identical Sunday drops.

1st SUNDAY:

15.566M ROGUE NATION -21%

17.011m FALLOUT -21%

16.837m DEAD RECKONING -21%

DEAD RECKONING DAILY GAIN

ROGUE NATION - PLUS 1.277m

FALLOUT - MINUS 0.174m

CUME:

55.520m ROGUE NATION

61.236m FALLOUT

78.491m DEAD RECKONING

Edited by The Dark Alfred
  • Like 1

11 minutes ago, Mojoguy said:

Disney is putting GOTG3 up on D+ just one day after the physical release. Disney obviously doesn't give a shit about Bluray/4k sales anymore, they are more concerned about keeping D+ subscribers.

And people who want physical media will still buy it. If streaming is affecting physical purchases, then that shows people don't really want to buy physical copies of movies as much as expected.

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, ZattMurdock said:

And it isn’t free on tv; it’s on Disney Plus. It’s a paid subscription, and Disney is in the business of adding value to their streaming platform.

for an audience that are not paying for said film as it’s on the service, it’s basically free on tv. 

If it was on the service three months later they might buy the film. My point is that they’re not going to unsubscribe if a movie isn’t on there three months after opening. 

For three or four families paying less than ten bucks for the service between them - it’s more than free. 

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, titanic2187 said:

Tbh, not really impressed with the hold after start out a promising limited and wide opening. The 2nd weekend hold of wide expansion was very bad, way worse than French Dispatch (-32%) and Isle of Dogs(-37%). With mega-opener coming next week, $30m dream is gone. I haven't seen the movie but 62% verified audience RT score probably means something for WOM. 

The domestic performance/holds for Asteroid City are what they are, but what's most surprising to me is the kinda bad international performance for it? It seems like the performance internationally is gonna be lower than French Dispatch's... 

It'll get to $50m WW, 2x the budget. But I was expecting an easy $60m+ WW for this. It's definitely not very commercially friendly. But I thought Europe would show up harder for Wes 

Just now, MysteryMovieMogul said:

And people who want physical media will still buy it. If streaming is affecting physical purchases, then that shows people don't really want to buy physical copies of movies as much as expected.

Unless Disney make it literally impossible to. Here’s hoping they change that here in Brazil.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, MysteryMovieMogul said:

I don’t really buy any physical media now, and I always bought Disney stuff day one. They’ve made me stop spending the money by giving the films away for next to nothing weeks after they comes out on physical/digital. 

So it’s not that I don’t want to. I’m betting tons of people feel the same. They just don’t want the money, clearly.