CJohn

TOM CRUISE LOVES HIS POPCORN. MOVIES. POPCORN: THE WEEKEND THREAD | We are just waiting for Barbenheimer here

11 minutes ago, dudalb said:

I like the Rock, but no one is worth 50 Million up front.

Now making that much because the film is massive hit and you have a precentage of the profits is one thing, but up front.

"someone" could be, but 50 mil for the Rock for a role that people don't particularly associate with him is a ripoff

3 minutes ago, Pinacolada said:

The domestic performance/holds for Asteroid City are what they are, but what's most surprising to me is the kinda bad international performance for it? It seems like the performance internationally is gonna be lower than French Dispatch's... 

It'll get to $50m WW, 2x the budget. But I was expecting an easy $60m+ WW for this. It's definitely not very commercially friendly. But I thought Europe would show up harder for Wes 

Oh yeah you are right. Generally I don't assess the international performance right away for indie film because their staggered release pattern but looks like most major markets have the movie release done and their international gross look awful. Still some markets to come but I doubt this is gonna be a lot more than $20m internationally, only about two-third of Isle of Dogs and French Dispatch.  Overall still isn't a big welcoming sign if you see AC as a healthy check for indie market. 

6 minutes ago, MightyDargon said:

"someone" could be, but 50 mil for the Rock for a role that people don't particularly associate with him is a ripoff

It's the up front that gets to me.

At least see if the picture makes back it budget before giving an actor that kind of money.

Classic example of a studio regretting a deal they made with an actor was the one Paramount made for Tom Cruise on MI3. They gave him such a good deal that Tom walked away with tens of millions of dollars. but Paramount ended up making only a minor profit on the film.

• Like 1

I don't know why anybody or any studio would pay the Rock $50 million dollars to star in whatever film they want him to Star in. After the black Adam disaster and the fact that his reputation has basically taken a nose dive in the last couple years 50 million dollars is ridiculous.

• Like 4

The Rock’s star power has always been very inflated. It’s crazy to look at his filmography outside of Fast and see how few huge hits he’s had and how highly questionable it is if said hits had much to do with him. Like why didn’t Jack Black start being able to command that kind of money after Jumanji? Let’s not pretend his turn in that wasn’t the biggest audience crowd pleaser. You could say the same for Mario. When has The Rock ever had massive juggernauts where he was as buzzed about as that? 

I swear, the execs must all just be intimidated by the stature and muscles all these years to keep throwing tens and tens of mil at everything he does lol. 

Edited by MovieMan89
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

Vin is on that same “why on earth???” train for pay as well, or at least was with stuff like the Groot paychecks. Idk what it was about the Fast franchise that seemed to make the execs think the two guys at the front and center must deserve all the money for anything they do… 

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, MovieMan89 said:

The Rock’s star power has always been very inflated. It’s crazy to look at his filmography outside of Fast and see how few huge hits he’s had and how highly questionable it is if said hits had much to do with him. Like why didn’t Jack Black start being able to command that kind of money after Jumanji? Let’s not pretend his turn in that wasn’t the biggest audience crowd pleaser. You could say the same for Mario. When has The Rock ever had massive juggernauts where he was as buzzed about as that? 

I swear, the execs must all just be intimidated by the stature and muscles all these years to keep throwing tens and tens of mil at everything he does lol. 

The joke about him is that he's like ketchup. By himself he's not really that bankable but add him to an ensemble of an already established cast and franchise and he makes it that much better.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, MovieMan89 said:

Vin is on that same “why on earth???” train for pay as well, or at least was with stuff like the Groot paychecks. Idk what it was about the Fast franchise that seemed to make the execs think the two guys at the front and center must deserve all the money for anything they do… 

I still refuse to this day to believe that he got the exorbitant amount of money that he did for Guardians of the galaxy. Why on Earth would anybody pay anybody that much money for voice acting is way Beyond me.

• Thanks 1

I can’t even imagine how much The Rock has already inflated the Moana LA budget, which is bound to be expensive to start with. All for a movie that absolutely no one asked for or needs less than a decade after the animated classic. There’s no way to even top that movie either outside of drastically changing the whole thing to do something different, at which point just make it a new IP ffs. But The Rock gets to command an absurd paycheck because it’s a role he originated, no doubt, which makes Disney even stupider for making the movie. 

• Like 1

Just a reminder, 4M of Rogue Nation's 55M gross came from previews. Dead Reckoning's 54M was purely Friday-Sunday. If you want to add in the 7M from Tuesday for "previews" you get a 61M "3.5-day opening" which is pretty much what every opening weekend is nowadays. Much closer to Fallout when you look at it that way.

• Like 2

I won’t be surprised if we get like $350m+ budget reports for Moana LA. Movie is gonna be expensive af to make look halfways decent in live action if they’re doing anything remotely on the scale of the animated film.

Like I guess a small part of me is excited to see what some of the set pieces and spectacle could look like in la with a massive budget, but add the Rock paycheck in and they are asking for epic disaster if they don’t get a billion+ grosser. 

14 minutes ago, baumer said:

I still refuse to this day to believe that he got the exorbitant amount of money that he did for Guardians of the galaxy. Why on Earth would anybody pay anybody that much money for voice acting is way Beyond me.

Cameron Diaz getting $500k an hour for one of the Shrek films. I love her though, but I always think that story is funny. 

• Like 2