Eric Quinn

C’MON BARBIE LET'S GO PARTY...AT LOS ALAMOS | BARBENHEIMER WEEKEND THREAD | We’re Thriving in our Plastic Fantastic Era | Mother Mothered with 162M | Daddy Exploded with 82.4M

Your Barbenheimer weekend plans  

175 members have voted

1. 1. What are you going to watch this weekend specifically?

34 minutes ago, Ledmonkey96 said:

So after Thursday (not counting previews) the month to date total should be around 620mil. The weekend should get things pretty far and at this point i can't imagine this month missing last years 1.13 billion. 250-300mil seems the minimum, 150-175mil next week puts it at around 1.05bil not counting Mon-Thursday next week.

August will be significantly better too. It'll pull way, way ahead eventually.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Mango said:

Pooler was a potential option, and the next best seeing how that is a full 1:43 laser system, but the chances of seeing it on 70mm made me go with Mall of GA.

Hopefully they get these kinks worked out before the weekend shows. Being one of the only houses in the country playing 70mm IMAX is a big deal, and botching this would not look good on Regal MoG. I saw Interstellar there and everything was immaculate.

Seems like more stuff can go wrong with the film projection compared to the Dual Laser projection. My experience was excellent with several movies in 70mm IMAX (TDK, Ghost Protocol, TDKR) and equally as great in Dual Laser 1.43 IMAX for Dunkirk. I was stunned at how good the Dual Laser 1.43 version turned out compared to my memories of the 70mm IMAX shows. 

1 hour ago, cannastop said:

Barbie seems to have a 91% verified audience on Rotten Tomatoes. Which is probably OK.

Down to 90%. Started the day at 94%

non verified audience has been 81% for a while. No change there

9 minutes ago, Mango said:

I saw Interstellar there and everything was immaculate.

Dunkirk at Mall of Georgia in IMAX 70mm was also really good.

I don't have the option of going to Pooler Georgia because it's too far away though.

And even they have issues with their IMAX screen too. Like wrinkles on the edges and sometimes they use the wrong aspect ratio.

3 minutes ago, cannastop said:

And even they have issues with their IMAX screen too. Like wrinkles on the edges and sometimes they use the wrong aspect ratio.

Hmmm...that's interesting. My experience with Dunkirk in Dual Laser IMAX was at the Bob Bullock Museum IMAX. From everything I could find on the Internet, the guy who runs that screen for the museum takes it very seriously. I was extremely impressed with the presentation quality. 

Just now, redfirebird2008 said:

Hmmm...that's interesting. My experience with Dunkirk in Dual Laser IMAX was at the Bob Bullock Museum IMAX. From everything I could find on the Internet, the guy who runs that screen for the museum takes it very seriously. I was extremely impressed with the presentation quality. 

I'm just sourcing what I say from the /r/imax subreddit. Some people complained about a Flash screening.

Belloni on his show today said the industry average for Barbie is still $110M and Oppenheimer is $48M  but he's taking the over.  He is predicting $150M for Barbie and "mid 50s" for Oppenheimer.  

I think he's going to be low on both LOL.  

Also, what's up with the industry tracking average?  I think they're just plain wrong.  Even at my local theater the interest is on the level of a comic book or Star Wars event. 

5 minutes ago, cannastop said:

I've also heard there's lost audio in the AMC Rivercenter's IMAX 70mm show in Texas. So I hope it all gets together in the end.

That would be my big skepticism with visiting the River Walk IMAX. It's very old and it's not operated by a museum, so you don't know what AMC is doing in terms of maintenance. 

1 minute ago, Johnny Tran said:

Belloni on his show today said the industry average for Barbie is still $110M and Oppenheimer is $48M  but he's taking the over.  He is predicting $150M for Barbie and "mid 50s" for Oppenheimer.  

I think he's going to be low on both LOL.  

Also, what's up with the industry tracking average?  I think they're just plain wrong.  Even at my local theater the interest is on the level of a comic book or Star Wars event. 

It's an unusual weekend with 2 non-sequel movies.  No one knows exactly who the audiences of each movie will be and how they'll show.  Will they walk in, or do both require a lot of prep, and thus pre-buy, so walk ups are minimal vs the norm for non-sequels.  Will space become an issue with everyone wanting certain show times and types and quality of seat?  Will families come and fill the early showings?

And it's safer to be low and have it end high, than the reverse.  No one's upset with you that way...

• Like 1

1 minute ago, TwoMisfits said:

It's an unusual weekend with 2 non-sequel movies.  No one knows exactly who the audiences of each movie will be and how they'll show.  Will they walk in, or do both require a lot of prep, and thus pre-buy, so walk ups are minimal vs the norm for non-sequels.  Will space become an issue with everyone wanting certain show times and types and quality of seat?  Will families come and fill the early showings?

And it's safer to be low and have it end high, than the reverse.  No one's upset with you that way...

especially when a lot of rural areas arent really accounted for the same as the larger metros.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, JohnnyGossamer said:

Where's BKB!? Ha!

He was there tailgating..taking up 4 coveted spots with his truck parked side ways and blasting the AVENGERS theme..grilling and selling "Nuclear Hot Dogs" for $3.99.. 

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, TwoMisfits said:

I agree with you but based on the numbers we're seeing here in the tracking thread I think it's impossible for Barbie to do "only" $110M and Oppenheimer to do $48M.