Eric S'ennui

C’MON BARBIE LET'S GO PARTY...AT LOS ALAMOS | BARBENHEIMER WEEKEND THREAD | We’re Thriving in our Plastic Fantastic Era | Mother Mothered with 162M | Daddy Exploded with 82.4M

Your Barbenheimer weekend plans  

175 members have voted

1. 1. What are you going to watch this weekend specifically?

16 minutes ago, redfirebird2008 said:

$100 million production budget for Oppenheimer. Probably another $80-100 million for marketing as well. 

Didn't Nolan say in an interview the movie cost $180m? 

57 minutes ago, LegionWrex said:

$19.5M for previews isn't the $23-25M behemoth that we were initially predicting here but I wouldn't be shocked if it's just due to a lack of screens. Still, should easily give it the biggest opening of the year.

My local gave it 16 shows just for previews, and 18 for Friday - including 2 RPX.  Pretty comparable to CBMs opening to $125-75m.   The sharing of RPX seems to be a mistake - not filling anywhere near to Oppenheimer for them which just has 6 screens.  For some reason people are not rushing to pay $25+ for LieMax for Barbie when they can pay $7 less for one of the other 16 showings..

• Like 1

1 minute ago, MovieMan89 said:

What are the lowest previews for 200 openers? I believe TA and JW both did in 18-22 range iirc, but that was quite some time ago. 

The Avengers was also still in the era of midnight showings (one of the last ones I believe) and it was $18.7M. JW was $18.5.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, LegionWrex said:

The Avengers was also still in the era of midnight showings (one of the last ones I believe) and it was $18.7M. JW was $18.5.

Ah that’s right, it would be. JW is definitely the comp to watch out for on Barbie imo. Though we will see if a lack of kids hurts it. 

Edited by MovieMan89

17 minutes ago, redfirebird2008 said:

$100 million production budget for Oppenheimer. Probably another $80-100 million for marketing as well. 

Showing that one photos of Cillian for a year and two trailers costs $100m?  I know I know there were ads but it got the majority of it's marketing for free with the BHer stuff.   They didn't even start bringing out the cast until the final 2 weeks and then that got cut off  right in the middle for the strike.  Didn't even have to pay for the actors to show up for the NY premier.

8 minutes ago, Jonwo said:

He's contractually obliged to promote it, I'm sure he wouldn't if he didn't have to. 

I find it odd people piled on The Haunted Mansion's director for showing up at the premiere but yet Nolan and Gerwig got a free pass. 

I'm not familiar with the criticism on Haunted Mansion. I wouldn't expect any director to abandon their movie for disputes with the studio executives. The director spends a long time making the movie and the director wants the movie to do well with the public. 

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Bob Train said:

Oppenheimer will get a B+ or B cinemascore and everyone will doom 'n gloom. Then it will get well over 3x legs anyways for a 230-250m domestic total.

I'd be moderately concerned about a B. I think a B+ would be fine. But if there was any movie where Cinemascore might be way off the mark for a blockbuster, it's this one with the Barbenheimer double feature muddying the waters

Edited by MrPink

2 minutes ago, LegionWrex said:

I'm seeing Oppenheimer tomorrow but as somebody who has read American Prometheus, it's likely a lot of people in suits and boardrooms talking. Lots and lots of talking.

Margot Robbie running around in pink outfits is going to to be more audience friendly.

5 minutes ago, vinny2487 said:

Didn't Nolan say in an interview the movie cost $180m? 

Universal spokesperson claimed that was not accurate. Nolan apparently kept telling the media "180 page script, 180 minute movie" or something like that...and it seems like maybe he accidentally said 180 million instead of 180 minutes in one of the interviews. 

9 minutes ago, TalismanRing said:

Showing that one photos of Cillian for a year and two trailers costs $100m?  I know I know there were ads but it got the majority of it's marketing for free with the BHer stuff.   They didn't even start bringing out the cast until the final 2 weeks and then that got cut off  right in the middle for the strike.  Didn't even have to pay for the actors to show up for the NY premier.

We live in a world where they can burn $300+ million on a single movie's production budget, even before marketing. That's insane, but that's the world of inflated costs nowadays. I've noticed quite a few TV ads on for Oppenheimer, more than I expected when they announced this project. It's probably not cheap to do that. 

$30M+ in previews for Barbenheimer is pretty special.

I know we're talking two movies here, but this much in combined previews for films that aren't action/comic book/Star Wars/Harry Potter films (that dominate the top previews list) is remarkable. 

Peace,

Mike

• Like 7

31 minutes ago, redfirebird2008 said:

Probably needs $400+ million worldwide for Universal to get into profit territory. Guess we'll see if audiences will give it strong enough legs to get there. That's a long way off. In the short term, it will be pretty cool if this movie can go above $70 million this weekend. 

400m is already 4x it's budget . Even with Nolan 20% it will well into profit after theatrical and ancillaries

300m+ is enough.

Man, disastrous stuff going on with the San Antonio River Walk IMAX tonight. Reddit thread reported that something went wrong with the projection & sound. It took 20+ minutes before the theater staff realized what was going on. They canceled that show, along with the later show tonight as well. And now a bunch of people who were traveling from other towns are nervous as hell that it won't function properly for them in the coming days. 

4 minutes ago, Blankments said:

The official bot meetup is set!

IMG_0106.jpeg

Y’all are doing the wrong order 🤦‍♀️. But have fun anyway! Wish I was there!

• Like 2