Eric Prime

C’MON BARBIE LET'S GO PARTY...AT LOS ALAMOS | BARBENHEIMER WEEKEND THREAD | We’re Thriving in our Plastic Fantastic Era | Mother Mothered with 162M | Daddy Exploded with 82.4M

Your Barbenheimer weekend plans  

175 members have voted

1. 1. What are you going to watch this weekend specifically?

Just now, filmlover said:

I'm just laughing at the thought of studios trying to will another Barbenheimer into existence after this.

My Big Fat Greek Nun Weekend of September 8 let's go!

Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles: Megtant Mayhem

Hunger Games: Band Together

It cannot be stressed enough how important it was to cast Margot and Ryan as Barbie and Ken. They not only look perfect, they embody the characters. 

If they had gone with ironic casting like Amy Schumer as Barbie and maybe someone like Michael Cera (he's already in the film) as Ken, then you're looking at a drastically smaller opening weekend. 

It's still important to cast for accuracy and embodiment for pre-established iconic characters because multiple generations aren't interested in irony or changes. 

• Like 15

6 minutes ago, M37 said:

Clearly I struck a nerve here, but my broader point is that I just don’t believe a director moves the needle among the GA anywhere near as much as it does among cinephiles. That’s not to take away from their skill and what the brand adds, but it’s way overstating the impact on name alone, outside of people who follow the industry close enough to post on a message board 

Like there are basically no more movie stars who can help a film breakout … but a director can? How many people out of 100 can name Tom Cruise or Dwayne Johnson vs Nolan?

The bigger issue is getting the project off the ground with studio bosses. If a random director with a shaky or non-existent track record went to the studio bosses with the exact same ideas about adapting the 2005 Oppenheimer book into a movie, 99.99% of those directors would be laughed out of the room. The failure of the 1989 movie would have branded this material as box office poison.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, GambitPool said:

It cannot be stressed enough how important it was to cast Margot and Ryan as Barbie and Ken. They not only look perfect, they embody the characters. 

If they had gone with ironic casting like Amy Schumer as Barbie and maybe someone like Michael Cera (he's already in the film) as Ken, then you're looking at a drastically smaller opening weekend. 

It's still important to cast for accuracy and embodiment for pre-established iconic characters because multiple generations aren't interested in irony or changes. 

i wrote to my friends to come with me to see this and he told me "It's with Ryan Reynolds, are you serious?". I told him "Ryan Gosling"

"Oh it's ok but I'm still busy".

Edited by vale9001

Nolan understands that even a biopic has to be sold as a visually impressive event flick to work in the current marketplace. Elvis was a smaller version of this last year. These movies won’t work at theaters if they look like they’d be fine to catch on Netflix in a few months. 

• Like 10

Just now, TomThomas said:

Not any director, just very very few of them, most directors are not draw, but Nolan obviously is. It doesn't matter how many people can name someone, what matters is how many people both know and willing to take their ass to theaters and pay for the movie someone made because of his name alone.

And I’m saying, very plainly, that audiences are largely not going because of his name, but the product created. Now you don’t get this particular product without his work, but the product is what is selling 

Like Bruckheimer/Bay films grossed a ton of money because they were giving audiences what they were willing to pay for, even if only a few could name them (and that is not a comparison of the relative quality)

21 minutes ago, M37 said:

Clearly I struck a nerve here, but my broader point is that I just don’t believe a director moves the needle among the GA anywhere near as much as it does among cinephiles. That’s not to take away from their skill and what the brand adds, but it’s way overstating the impact on name alone, outside of people who follow the industry close enough to post on a message board 

Like there are basically no more movie stars who can help a film breakout … but a director can? How many people out of 100 can name Tom Cruise or Dwayne Johnson vs Nolan?

Maybe some GA may not know the name Nolan, even some of my friends - but once I say - the director of Inception, Dark Knight Trilogy, Interstellar...

Basically it is hard for someone to not have heard of his works and his prowess as a director.

Nolan brand is not just domestic. Look at crazy openings in many markets. Saudi Arabia is 2nd biggest OD ever behind just NWH and ahead of MI7 last week. India also has had biggest OD for the year. I think there are other markets where it broke out big(Eastern European if I am not wrong) and even in markets where Barbie has been a juggernaut, Oppenheimer has had a solid number 2 like Down Under, UK and France. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, ZeroHour said:

Nolan understands that even a biopic has to be sold as a visually impressive event flick to work in the current marketplace. Elvis was a smaller version of this last year. These movies won’t work at theaters if they look like they’d be fine to catch on Netflix in a few months. 

Yeah, this, and would even throw Dune in there too, not as a biopic, but as a day & date release it really had to sell itself a big screen experience, and did ok given the timing of the release 

Just now, keysersoze123 said:

Nolan brand is not just domestic. Look at crazy openings in many markets. Saudi Arabia is 2nd biggest OD ever behind just NWH and ahead of MI7 last week. India also has had biggest OD for the year. I think there are other markets where it broke out big(Eastern European if I am not wrong) and even in markets where Barbie has been a juggernaut, Oppenheimer has had a solid number 2 like Down Under, UK and France. 

Nolan is undoubtedly a brand in India.. There's no question on that. Nolan is synonymous with "Hollywood director" here, it used to be Spielberg till the 00s before Nolan took over.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, keysersoze123 said:

all of those contries is true but nolan brand will show up its true full potential when it release in Korea and will get opening weekend in 15-20m range. 

3 minutes ago, grim22 said:

Nolan is undoubtedly a brand in India.. There's no question on that. Nolan is synonymous with "Hollywood director" here, it used to be Spielberg till the 00s before Nolan took over.

Only other name is Cameron but he has made 2 movies in 25 years and that is also a franchise. So I am not counting him at all though there is no bigger draw if he choose to make another non franchise movie. 

5 minutes ago, grim22 said:

Nolan's next film should be set in India and be a big Bollywood style musical, that would make a gazillion dollars!!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

19 minutes ago, M37 said:

And I’m saying, very plainly, that audiences are largely not going because of his name, but the product created. Now you don’t get this particular product without his work, but the product is what is selling 

How is complex 3 hour biopic about scientist is an appealing product for GA? Or Dunkirk? Or Tenet without big star as lead? Again, if anyone else did the same movie with the same cast, it would've flopped, especially today, just like most movies with similar appeal, we already have too many examples.

Edited by TomThomas
  • Like 1