Eric is Anxious

C’MON BARBIE LET'S GO PARTY...AT LOS ALAMOS | BARBENHEIMER WEEKEND THREAD | We’re Thriving in our Plastic Fantastic Era | Mother Mothered with 162M | Daddy Exploded with 82.4M

Your Barbenheimer weekend plans  

175 members have voted

1. 1. What are you going to watch this weekend specifically?

Just got back from barbenheimer and damn was Oppenheimer an amazing film. Had me captivated the whole time and the entire sequence with the bomb was some of the best filmmaking I've seen.

Barbie was also pretty good too, a super unique aesthetic compared to other blockbusters and it makes me happy to see something so different putting out high numbers. Ryan gosling also stole the show in that one, he was hilarious 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, vale9001 said:

Yes Cruise is searching a great director to work with as we speak. Can see this happening 

ce756d18a5bc957178eb17630a79f2e6-1.jpg

nah Cruise is going to go to the small screen and play Dante of the Blood Angels in Henry Cavill's Warhammer 40k show.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Ozymandias said:

Indiana Jones just looked like some more unspectacular formulaic factory film making from Disney, same with The Flash/WB.  The fact that those two movies bombed and Barbie/Oppenheimer are over-performing is excellent for the business.  Now hopefully Napoleon/Killers of the Flower Moon do really well.

I have doubts about Napoleon while killers with di Caprio i Hope can make 150M domestic. Which would be very very great, but i don't see a new Oppenheimer coming. 

Wonka maybe could be the Surprise in the end of the year.

Challengers could have been an interesting surprise too (200M WW?) but sadly it's not coming anymore. 

Edited by vale9001

36 minutes ago, Ozymandias said:

Lmao there is currently a large mechanized land war on this continent involving the biggest nuclear power that only seems to be heading down a path of indefinite escalation and most of it is more interested in the silly doll movie over the very relevant, timely, and excellent Oppenheimer, including the two countries at war.   God help us all.

It’s because of that war and potential endgame* why many folks want escapism of any kind to distract from what is daily news. Shouldn’t be a surprise or revelation. Granted flipside th current reality give Oppenheimer some relevancy beyond just another WW2/Cold War period piece.

*=Personally I think those nuclear fears are overblown. It’s a no win situation for Moscow (or the West, but they’re less likely to push the button than a government threatening daily and their bluffs more called than a bad poker player.) Now could a war happen? Sure. But it would be less The Day After and more Red Storm Rising. 

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, LonePirate said:

He'll be clamoring to work with a big name director again; yet it won't be Spielberg, not after seeing a 3 hour, R rated biopic with minimal violence outgross the latest edition of his pet franchise in less than a week.

The word around town is that Spielberg won't work with him cause Cruise tried to spread Scientology on the set of War of the Worlds and it soured his opinion of him.

• Like 1

Updated figures show Warner Bros.’ new franchise based on the Mattel doll at $45M tonight (-36% from Friday/previews), for what is shaping up to still be a $150M start; the biggest opening of 2023. Others believe in their bones this Greta Gerwing directed, Margot Robbie-Ryan Gosling combo is destined for $155M-$160M. Warners isn’t a studio to get over their skis in estimates.

Meanwhile, Oppenheimer might be about a bomb, but it’s certainly not a bomb in the box office sense of the word with the Universal Christopher Nolan directed movie eyeing $25.8M today, -22% from Friday night/previews of $33M for what’s shaping up to be an awesome $80M opening. As we spotted on Thursday night, Oppenheimer looked like it was going to emulate the box office trajectory of the R-rated X-Men title, Logan. That pic’s first day/previews was also $33M, however had a $31.3M Saturday for what turned out to be an $88.4M opening. Point is, audiences are approaching this Nolan movie like a comic-book movie, not the adult drama that it is. In fact both movies’ fervent fans are owning it in their cinema attire, dressing up like the characters in Barbie and Oppenheimer.

Deadline

• Like 3

53 minutes ago, Ozymandias said:

Lmao there is currently a large mechanized land war on this continent involving the biggest nuclear power that only seems to be heading down a path of indefinite escalation and most of it is more interested in the silly doll movie over the very relevant, timely, and excellent Oppenheimer, including the two countries at war.   God help us all.

Indefinite escalation? You're mistaken. 

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, across the Jat verse said:

Assuming Barbie FRI was 49, will go 48. Basically 2% down whatever number you believe.

Oppy 26.25

Barbie will manage to stay almost flat. I think FRI was around 49 (Previews 21.5 ish), so SAT likely 48.75-49.

If FRI was infact 48.2 as WB reported, then 48.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Hatebox said:

Is the actors not being able to do promo really that big a deal if the movie’s already in the can? Clearly studios knows more about it than I do if it’s even being debated.

I thought actors couldn't carry a film anymore.. unless they were like Tom Cruise in an action film or Julia Roberts in a Romantic Comedy. 

I highly doubt it will make a huge difference for most of the blockbusters releasing this year. 

2 hours ago, Porthos said:

*peeks in thread*

@Cap

A repost of this is probably needed.

Honestly too high on Barbie to care. My Gawd. What a picture.

• Like 2
  • Heart 1
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, vale9001 said:

So both the movies are making less than Friday. As @across the Jat versestated was predictable, the First day was definitely mega pushed from all the internet hype like true Summer blockbusters.

Really interested to see the First weekdays performances for both. 

hmmmm Oppenheimer looks like it increased 10% over true friday?