Eric Burnett

C’MON BARBIE LET'S GO PARTY...AT LOS ALAMOS | BARBENHEIMER WEEKEND THREAD | We’re Thriving in our Plastic Fantastic Era | Mother Mothered with 162M | Daddy Exploded with 82.4M

Your Barbenheimer weekend plans  

175 members have voted

1. 1. What are you going to watch this weekend specifically?

6 minutes ago, Brainbug said:

What if felt and feel exactly.

Pre-Endgame, the MCU felt fresh, exciting and it was always building up to something (IW/EG).

After Endgame, the MCU feels tired, overstuffed and like homework.

Endgame was literally the perfect ending for the whole MCU in my opinion.

For people who say this, I'm curious as to what you all expected to happen. For Disney/Marvel to take a break and reboot in a few years? The MCU reached a peak in 2018-2019 and what's happened afterwards is only natural imo. Can't stay at that insane level forever. That there has been some dips/misfires since then doesn't mean it should have ended. Lets not forget that they had misfires before that peak. Everything wasn't perfect, every movie wasn't making tons of money. I can see how the tv shows have made it seem overstuffed and like homework but they'll almost certainly be cutting back on them now. I have to say though, I'm glad to have gotten shows like TFATWS  and Ms Marvel and movies like Shang-Chi and Eternals (deserved better) and Wakanda Forever (even with its flaws, its still near top of the MCU for me). I think there's still things to be excited about too, with Daredevil coming, Deadpool looking like a big hit and if they get things sorted out with Fantastic Four and Blade. Things may be messy now but I'm looking forward to seeing how it all plays out.  

• Like 4

1 minute ago, excel1 said:

When will people realize Gen Z googles everything before investing in it? They google Barbie, see actors the know and like, and see its from a HIGHLY respected up and coming creator = big win.

You do understand that Zoomers were not the only audience that showed up for Barbie? Also, googling =/= brand. You know a brand without googling. 

The legs discussion will carry on over the next week at the very least. If weekdays are strong, then it's summer, playing well with younger audiences, smaller weekend bump. If the weekdays are weak, then audiences have figured out it's not really a kiddie comedy but a satire lacking any subtlety and it will have a massive Friday and Saturday increase.

And so on and so forth.

For what it's worth, I only just saw it this afternoon (meant to go yesterday but due to the rain I got there late and the car park was rammed so literally didn't find a spot before the movie started so just gave up). There were some young girls that were bored senseless, running up and down, and immediately after an animated discussion started amongst a group sitting next to me, where half hated it and half loved it. All women. In fact, all the men (gay and straight alike) actually had the most outwardly positive reaction. Was it because we all genuinely liked it or cause we're all scared of feminazis beating us up? I definitely think this can still go either direction in terms of legs, with a range between 430 and 570. Let's see...

On the flip side, I've heard a few people (who I don't hold in particularly high regard in any case but, interestingly, women again), dismiss Barbie as a stupid kids movie and opting for Oppenheimer instead, though without actually fully aware of what that movie is either. So I dunno... I think it will be an interesting few weeks for Barbie and Oppenheimer, as we really can't quite be sure of legs one way or another yet. Neither of the two movies are being rejected by audiences like some big openers that immediately collapse, that much is clear, but I'm also not sure sure the love for them is there the way you see with the big multiplier ones. But a lot of this is just instinctual and I could be way off so really, the numbers will tell the story, as always...

1 minute ago, redfirebird2008 said:

I mean 50 Shades, Twilight, & Hunger Games had a "brand new" movie that was pretty frontloaded right out of the gates. I think Hunger Games is probably a pretty good comparison point for Barbie. We'll have to see how it goes. There is a segment of the population that will have zero interest in watching the movie, no matter what. It's NOT like Avatar in that way. 

Though all those IPs had known outcome. Barbie story was a mystery. All people knew was who played them and that they somehow come to the real world. But there's no novel that might require reading to understand the movie (common complaint about HP adaptations).

1 hour ago, 21C said:

I really am convinced that the success of Super Mario Bros invalidates whatever "auteur directors are important for blockbusters" takes you could get from Barbie. Autership might be important in some situations like maybe CBMs (and even then only until very recently) but for unexploited mega-popular IP is really is a stretch to think it is. 

I agree. The big numbers of Barbie are mainly due to the IP (and the visuals matching expectatives).

The promo of Barbie doesn't sell this movie as trangressive. The promo focus mainly on the humor and visuals of Barbie. 

So, the quality of the story doesn't really have big influence in OW. The story quality could have a bigger influence on the legs.

Edited by Kon
  • Like 2

15 minutes ago, ringedmortality said:

Gerwig being hot is what gave Barbie a boost imo

Thanks to this thread I’ve found out Josh Hartnett is in Oppenheimer. He’s hot. Might tempt me to see it now. 

Edited by Krissykins
  • Like 2

10 minutes ago, Ororo Munroe said:

For people who say this, I'm curious as to what you all expected to happen. For Disney/Marvel to take a break and reboot in a few years? The MCU reached a peak in 2018-2019 and what's happened afterwards is only natural imo. Can't stay at that insane level forever. That there has been some dips/misfires since then doesn't mean it should have ended. Lets not forget that they had misfires before that peak. Everything wasn't perfect, every movie wasn't making tons of money. I can see how the tv shows have made it seem overstuffed and like homework but they'll almost certainly be cutting back on them now. I have to say though, I'm glad to have gotten shows like TFATWS  and Ms Marvel and movies like Shang-Chi and Eternals (deserved better) and Wakanda Forever (even with its flaws, its still near top of the MCU for me). I think there's still things to be excited about too, with Daredevil coming, Deadpool looking like a big hit and if they get things sorted out with Fantastic Four and Blade. Things may be messy now but I'm looking forward to seeing how it all plays out.  

Personally, I would have liked them to slow the production line down for Disney+. I would have been ok with Black Widow, Shang Chi, Strange 2 and NWH on the side. Maybe even Thor 4 with a completely different script. But space them out a bit more, kill everything else, Deadpool 3 as the final nail for the Fox films and transition into the new X-Men, Fantastic 4 and use them as the base for the new Avengers.

But obviously that's my preference. It is what it is. I'm still seeing the movies, but I've basically stopped caring about the Disney+ stuff. The way I see it, either they quickly recap it in any movie that needs it, gloss over it or it will just make whatever movie that is connected make no sense, in which case it's bad filmmaking and I'll move on to the next.

Edited by reddevil19

3 minutes ago, reddevil19 said:

For what it's worth, I only just saw it this afternoon (meant to go yesterday but due to the rain I got there late and the car park was rammed so literally didn't find a spot before the movie started so just gave up). There were some young girls that were bored senseless, running up and down, and immediately after an animated discussion started amongst a group sitting next to me, where half hated it and half loved it. All women. In fact, all the men (gay and straight alike) actually had the most outwardly positive reaction. Was it because we all genuinely liked it or cause we're all scared of feminazis beating us up?

It's because guys understood more references. I had a similar situation in my cinema where teen girls didn't laugh at jokes that were totally funny to men and adult women. Example:

Ken's Mojo Dojo Casa House

teen girls in our row were stone faced while guys were roaring with laugher. They didn't understand

Cobra Kai reference, that Casa and House meant the same thing

Just now, Valonqar said:

Though all those IPs had known outcome. Barbie story was a mystery. All people knew was who played them and that they somehow come to the real world. But there's no novel that might require reading to understand the movie (common complaint about HP adaptations).

Barbie is no less of a "known IP" than Hunger Games. Barbie has been around forever and had giant pent-up demand before the movie came out. I would not compare it to an original movie like Avatar. The huge opening guarantees more frontloading than what happens with original movies.

In any case, Hunger Games had a pretty respectable 2.7 multiplier. That would be a pretty solid result for Barbie if it goes that way. It's not a bad comparison point by any means. High end would be something crazy like Super Mario's 3.9 multiplier. That would be incredible! 

3 minutes ago, Ororo Munroe said:

Personally, i didnt expect anything really, its more the feeling i got after Endgame.

"What could possibly come after this? How do they want to top this? It feels over now."

Again, im only speaking for myself. Endgame was the ending for me and i actually didnt want anything from the MCU after that. Ive seen a lot of Phase 4 anyway and liked some (Doctor Strange 2, No Way Home and most of WandaVision) and disliked a lot as well (Thor 4, Loki, Black Widow, Eternals), but now, im truly done with it, its just not connecting with me anymore.

Still, im happy for anyone who enjoys post-Endgame MCU. Im just not one of them.

50 minutes ago, Brainbug said:

What if felt and feel exactly.

Pre-Endgame, the MCU felt fresh, exciting and it was always building up to something (IW/EG).

After Endgame, the MCU feels tired, overstuffed and like homework.

Endgame was literally the perfect ending for the whole MCU in my opinion.

If they stopped at Endgame they're literally leaving billions at the table.

1 minute ago, pepsa said:

There is no way Barbie is as frontloaded as HP or HG let alone TL, it should be looking at a multi atleast over 3x.

Eh, OD share isn’t promising. But maybe males are waiting for WOM to hop on board or it is capacity issues. 

1 minute ago, redfirebird2008 said:

Barbie is no less of a "known IP" than Hunger Games. Barbie has been around forever and had giant pent-up demand before the movie came out. I would not compare it to an original movie like Avatar. The huge opening guarantees more frontloading than what happens with original movies.

In any case, Hunger Games had a pretty respectable 2.7 multiplier. That would be a pretty solid result for Barbie if it goes that way. It's not a bad comparison point by any means. High end would be something crazy like Super Mario's 3.9 multiplier. That would be incredible! 

I retract Avatar cause that's once in a generation. Agreed that THG is a good comparison but still think that brand or not the mystery about the story works in Barbie's favor for drawing audience that otherwise wouldn't care for the brand. 

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, redfirebird2008 said:

Kind of true with all the Disney remakes. Hard to match those animated classic movies. 

Eh, TLK is terrible, but Jungle Book, Cinderella, Aladdin, and Mermaid are all better than their animated counterparts. Only the animated BATB and TLK are genuinely great movies. People are way too hung on up on nostalgia/their childhood fixation with these stories.

I do like both versions of Lady and the Tramp equally. I love Bambi. Snow White is one of the worst things I've seen (personal opinion, sorry) so the live-action version has nowhere to go but up.  

• Like 1

Just now, grey ghost said:

Thats absolutely true. Phase 4 made a gazillion dollars even with all the Covid problems. From a business point of view, of course they HAD to continue after Endgame, im not arguing against that.

Im just saying that Phase 4 doesnt work artistically for me. Luckily for Marvel, theyre not dependant on my wallet 😅

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Hildagarde25 said:

Eh, TLK is terrible, but Jungle Book, Cinderella, Aladdin, and Mermaid are all better than their animated counterparts. Only the animated BATB and TLK are genuinely great movies. People are way too hung on up on nostalgia/their childhood fixation with these stories.

I do like both versions of Lady and the Tramp equally. I love Bambi. Snow White is one of the worst things I've seen (personal opinion, sorry) so the live-action version has nowhere to go but up.  

After the abomination that was the Mulan live action I vowed never to watch another one again.

2 minutes ago, grey ghost said:

yeah they were never going to stop but that nearly did them in was quantity over quality. They didn't have to make all those shitty D+ shows, movies with characters that the story didn't need (Eternals) and unnecessary sequels (L&T) just to name a few. Also, Multiverse didn't work out as well as they hoped for it became just cameo meme.

• Like 1