The Wild Eric

C’MON BARBIE LET'S GO PARTY...AT LOS ALAMOS | BARBENHEIMER WEEKEND THREAD | We’re Thriving in our Plastic Fantastic Era | Mother Mothered with 162M | Daddy Exploded with 82.4M

Your Barbenheimer weekend plans  

175 members have voted

1. 1. What are you going to watch this weekend specifically?

The question is repeat business. Can BARBIE go beyond the initial buzz about the film and generate multiple viewings. Gotta see some weekday figures first, but can't see this doing anything less than 3x multiplier and 450m. It deserves to outgross WONDER WOMAN and CAPTAIN MARVEL.

As of Greta, of course she is a draw. She isn't just a cinephile art-house darling. Would you call for instance Denis Villeneuve a draw? Because LITTLE WOMEN grossed as much as DUNE or any of Villeneuve's films domestically. Also LADYBIRD was a pretty well known film. I'm pretty sure that those who are a fan of Saoirse and/or Timothee know about Greta.

Edited by The Dark Alfred

24 minutes ago, Redolent said:

Some bad takes on Gerwig’s impact on Barbie BO. No, she’s not a household name like Nolan, but the reason Gosling and the rest of the cast signed on is because of her, and the strength of her script. You think they would have attached themselves to a basic kids movie? So yes, her presence shaped the idea of Barbie as a quality, adult oriented film from the beginning.

There's an argument that could be made that at the same point in their career, i.e. two feature films and then a third big budget blockbuster - Gerwig might have more name recognition.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Kon said:

I agree. The big numbers of Barbie are mainly due to the IP (and the visuals matching expectatives).

The promo of Barbie doesn't sell this movie as trangressive. The promo focus mainly on the humor and visuals of Barbie. 

So, the quality of the story doesn't really have big influence in OW. The story quality could have a bigger influence on the legs.

The visual of a movie are the results of an author work. They are not granted.  In this case everything in the trailer was perfect, i agree,cause gerwig is a really talented director and everything seems top notch. Just a frame of the dancing scene and you can see the quality and the incredibile sets and directing. While It's true they didn't sell It as trangressive (even in the trailers and spots were full of hints making you ask there Is something more?) the success in the first weekend is not "just ip".

The success of the movie is from a mix of "this Is seems the perfect Barbie movie " and "but seeing the trailers i feel  there is somenthing more".

45 minutes ago, excel1 said:

As for Superman: Legacy, funny enough, I think Superman Returns being this retro, action-less film and Man of Steel being this soulless, emo Superman has created a true thirst for basic, traditional Superman. Rare case where people do not want reinvention, they want back to the basics. Gunn is one of the absolute best directors for this property as well, so that will drive hype. But no doubt, at the end of the day the quality has to unquestionably be there.  

As the resident former emo of BOT and resident Superman nerd, I have to correct you on this. One of the biggest issues with both Returns and MoS is that both are very much emo takes of Superman. One is a deadbeat dad that ghosted his former girlfriend after he got her pregnant and I don’t need to explain how fucked up this is if they were normal people, the other was the broody type of emo, but both spent too much time feeling sorry for themselves and that’s simply not who Superman is. Superman’s great superpower is how selfless he is. He isn’t conflicted about helping people, his Earth parents raised him to help everyone he could, it’s part of his nurture that he will always put ahead of him who he loves the most. And it’s not Lois, it’s Earth, it’s life itself. 

Thankfully, James Gunn seems to understand clearly what makes Superman tick and it’s been inspired by some of the best Superman sagas ever to come up with his take on Superman. I highly recommend people give an watch to My Adventures of Superman, this new cartoon available on HBO Max, with the first ep. available for free on adult swim’s YouTube channel (US residents only):

I’m only 3 episodes in and this is already one of my favorite adaptations of the character ever made. I honestly think it rivals Superman TAS so far.

17 minutes ago, excel1 said:

This is beyond sad and disturbing to watch. Affleck is shockingly effective in this scene. Gut wrenching is an absolutely overused terabit it fits here.

When will people realize Gen Z googles everything before investing in it? They google Barbie, see actors the know and like, and see its from a HIGHLY respected up and coming creator = big win.

No doubt but WB should lock him up for Harvey Dent or Clay Face first. 

Worst box office weekend ever and there will likely never be a worse one. What a horrific tragedy and epic buzzkill to what was the most hyped film since MATRIX RELOADED. TDKR would have set an attendance weekend record that would have lasted until END GAME if not for that psycho. 

When will people realize Gen Z googles everything before investing in it? They google Barbie, see actors the know and like, and see its from a HIGHLY respected up and coming creator = big win.

I know Gen Z will google, but I really don't think care so much about the director of a movie. It's more likely they care about the actors when they google.

Not to mention that this movie no only attract Gen Z.

1 minute ago, The Dark Alfred said:

The question is repeat business. Can BARBIE go beyond the initial buzz about the film and generate multiple viewings. Gotat see some weekday figures first, but can't see this doing anything less than 3x multiplier and 450m. It deserves to outgross WONDER WOMAN and CAPTAIN MARVEL.

As of Greta, of course she is a draw. She isn't just a cinephile art-house darling. Would you call for instance Denis Villeneuve a draw? Because LITTLE WOMEN grossed as much as DUNE or any of Villeneuve's films domestically. Also LADYBIRD was a pretty well known film. I'm pretty sure that those who are a fan of Saoirse and/or Timothee know about Greta pretty well.

Dune was released simultaneously in HBOMax.

Not a fair comparison.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, XXR Union Solidarity said:

It’s only a comic so far but give it 10 years and….

Put Godzilla and/or King Kong in any movie and its automatically better.

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Deep Wang said:

There's an argument that could be made that at the same point in their career, i.e. two feature films and then a third big budget blockbuster - Gerwig might have more name recognition.

Maybe so. Nolan had the misfortune of inheriting the Batman brand when it was completely in the toilet after Batman & Robin. Batman Begins was very under the radar in pop culture at the time. Tim Burton's 1989 Batman got to enjoy the 50 years of anticipation that Barbie is enjoying right now. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Deep Wang said:

There's an argument to be made that Nolan had Following, Memento and Insomnia before the big budget blockbuster (so three movies in), but also that Twitter didn't exist and Facebook had barely started when Begins came out. "Name recognition" now differs completely from two decades ago because of the way information is dispersed. Comparing the two at the same points in their career is a bit pointless. It's undoubtable that Gerwig has some recognition but the extent of it and how well that translates into actual box office draw will not be understood until her next theatrically released project.

• Like 1

I really wish y'all would come around to using opening week rather than OW as the baseline for multis, as it mostly balances out numbers across seasons. Here's just a few of those that have been discussed in pages above for Barbie, as well as some post-pandemic big openings (average is slightly above about 2.0x, which means nearly half the total gross is typically made in just first 7 days)

• Wonder Woman = 2.79x (lol, not happening)
  • GOTG3 = 2.36x (estimate)
  • Mario = 2.25x (Wed opening, no previews)
  • Minions = 2.25x (July 4th week)
  • Dark Knight = 2.24
  • ATSV = 2.24x (estimate)
  • Hunger Games = 2.15x
  • Little Mermaid = 2.06x (estimate)
  • Dark Knight Rises = 1.99x
  • Lion King = 1.98x
  • Catching Fire = 1.91x (Thanksgiving week)
  • Jurassic: Dominion = 1.97x
  • Thor L&T = 1.83x

Probably looking at $160M+ OW and ~$210M first week. Really no reason to see it go below 400M (1.9x), and the Mermaid/Hunger Games range seems about right, so ~$430-$450M range, depending on where numbers land over the next week.

Also, put me in the camp of Oppy getting up to 3x+ level, only reached last summer by TGM and Elvis (~$110M --> $330M+)

Edited by M37
  • Like 7

2 minutes ago, M37 said:

I really wish y'all would come around to using opening week rather than OW as the baseline for multis, as it mostly balances out numbers across seasons. Here's just a few of those that have been discussed in pages above for Barbie, as well as some post-pandemic big openings (average is about 2.0x)

• Wonder Woman = 2.79x (lol, not happening)
  • GOTG3 = 2.36x (estimate)
  • Mario = 2.25x (Wed opening, no previews)
  • Minions = 2.25x (July 4th week)
  • Dark Knight = 2.24
  • ATSV = 2.24x (estimate)
  • Hunger Games = 2.15x
  • Little Mermaid = 2.06x (estimate)
  • Dark Knight Rises = 1.99x
  • Lion King = 1.98x
  • Catching Fire = 1.91x (Thanksgiving week)
  • Jurassic: Dominion = 1.97x
  • Thor L&T = 1.83x

Probably looking at $160M+ OW and ~$210M first week. Really no reason to see it go below 400M (1.9x), and the Mermaid/Hunger Games range seems about right, so ~$430-$450M range, depending on where numbers land over the next week.

Also, put me in the camp of Oppy getting up to 3x+ level, only reached last summer by TGM and Elvis (~$110M --> $330M+)

I agree with you 100% on using Weekly numbers instead of Weekend numbers. Sadly it has never been done that way in box office tracking. But it probably should have always been done that way. Like you said, that's the best way to help deal with the "summer weekday" issue. 

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, vale9001 said:

The visual of a movie are the results of an author work. They are not granted.  In this case everything in the trailer was perfect, i agree,cause gerwig is a really talented director and everything seems top notch. Just a frame of the dancing scene and you can see the quality and the incredibile sets and directing. While It's true they didn't sell It as trangressive (even in the trailers and spots were full of hints making you ask there Is something more?) the success in the first weekend is not "just ip".

The success of the movie is from a mix of "this Is seems the perfect Barbie movie " and "but seeing the trailers i feel  there is somenthing more".

It's true that visuals were directed by Greta. 

I wasn't trying to dismis her incredible role on that.

Edited by Kon