Eric S'ennui

C’MON BARBIE LET'S GO PARTY...AT LOS ALAMOS | BARBENHEIMER WEEKEND THREAD | We’re Thriving in our Plastic Fantastic Era | Mother Mothered with 162M | Daddy Exploded with 82.4M

Your Barbenheimer weekend plans  

175 members have voted

1. 1. What are you going to watch this weekend specifically?

5 minutes ago, Valonqar said:

Exactly. There was a study that showed women prever mixed gender movies to all-one gender movies, so male and female rather than all male or all female. Also, it's typical that TLM stans got their panties in a twist now that Barbie is poised to smoke TLM's lifetime WW boxoffice in 2 weeks. These movies have nothing in common thematically so that tweet about udnerserved female audience is right. Most of the time, women are watching movies for men that have female characters but are thematically movies for men (SH genre, SW, Fast&Furious) or kiddie movies that kids drag them into (TLM). Movies that are made for women as primary target audience, not as appendage to family or male audience such as Titanic, Barbie, Twilight, THG  are not that common even though Titanic changed the perception of valuable audience for a bit. So no wonder barbie has exploded. It's also unlike anything in cinemas so that inteigues audience that otherwise doesn't go to cinemas much.

Not all male-skewing films are thematically the same. Films also often have multiple target audiences (Across the Spiderverse is a male-skewing family film, for instance). The audience that came out for TLM was mostly women which makes sense because it was a musical romance that played strongest to the nostalgia of millennial women. Whether or not the movie was successful (TLM is something of a disappointment, Barbie is the box office smash of the summer) or how successful they are at appealing to their target audience (Barbie obviously has resonated extremely well with its target audience by directly addressing their experiences of sexism) is not the point. The tweet claimed that it's been so long since a female-centric blockbuster was released that no one could possibly remember one and that's a pretty hyperbolic claim. You yourself thought up three others without breaking a sweat. TLM was not aimed at either men or boys dragging along their moms or girlfriends. It was aimed at women and girls dragging along their dads or boyfriends (if we want to think about moviegoing in such reductive terms). If the writer of that tweet had simply said that women and girls are underserved at the box office and Barbie demonstrates that, I would have agreed with her.

• Like 3

33 minutes ago, Killimano3 said:

I agree that there are certainly lots of movies that target a female audience (including a few blockbusters) but without any spoilers I feel like Barbie is definitely a unique film (at least as far as big blockbusters are concerned) in that it's not just trying to appeal to women by having strong female characters, or feminine themes. It very explicitly attempts to capture the idea of modern feminist anger at the system. It's not just telling women they can be doctors too, it's constantly calling out all the big and little things the patriarchy does to keep women down. I don't think i've ever seen that portrayed so prominently and so in-your-face before. So I don't think it's surprising that a lot of women are seeing this as a breakthrough film that's never been done before. 

It's very apparent a lot of ya'll have STILL not watched this ahead-of-its-time masterpiece 👇

my-heart-is-yors-megan-fox.gif

I know Diablo Cody would have killed a Barbie movie script if she had been allowed to write the character like she wanted instead of the then studio mandate to girlbossify her.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

46 minutes ago, ListenHunnyUrOver said:

Nah, Hollywood has been underserving the female audience and creating a lack of female skewing movies for years. MCU, DC, Bond, Indiana Jones, Star Wars, Mission Impossible, F&F, and Spider-Verse are all male skewing. 

Can you list me examples of female IP that'd need a blockbuster treatment that haven't gotten it yet? Genuinely asking because not many come to my mind. 

38 minutes ago, ListenHunnyUrOver said:

Nah, Hollywood has been underserving the female audience and creating a lack of female skewing movies for years. MCU, DC, Bond, Indiana Jones, Star Wars, Mission Impossible, F&F, and Spider-Verse are all male skewing. 

Yeah. It isn't coincidence these movies are mainly action movies with a lot of special effects.

Not saying women couldn't like action movies, but it doesn't seem to be one of their favorite genders.

Honestly, the genders most women tend to like doesn't often need really big budgets, which means TV or streaming could likely cover these genders too. So they are pretty risky for movie studios. 

2 minutes ago, ZeroHour said:

Not all male-skewing films are thematically the same. Films also often have multiple target audiences (Across the Spiderverse is a male-skewing family film, for instance). The audience that came out for TLM was mostly women which makes sense because it was a musical romance that played strongest to the nostalgia of millennial women. Whether or not the movie was successful (TLM is something of a disappointment, Barbie is the box office smash of the summer) or how successful they are at appealing to their target audience (Barbie obviously has resonated extremely well with its target audience by directly addressing their experiences of sexism) is not the point. The tweet claimed that it's been so long since a female-centric blockbuster was released that no one could possibly remember one and that's a pretty hyperbolic claim. You yourself thought up three others without breaking a sweat. TLM was not aimed at either men or boys dragging along their moms or girlfriends. It was aimed at women and girls dragging along their dads or boyfriends (if we want to think about moviegoing in such reductive terms). If the writer of that tweet had simply said that women and girls are underserved at the box office and Barbie demonstrates that, I would have agreed with her.

I understand that but I also notice a particular sensitivity surrounding TLM like people tiptoeing around the fact that is underperfromed to put it politely. A tweet forgot about this forgettable remake and suddenly there's an uproar. It's totally possible to forget about movies that just come and go or that don't interest you and therefore you don't consider them to target you. So dragging is hilarious. It won't turn TLM into a hit or Barbie into a flop. Audience has spoken. WB budgeted their inventive movie well and the story and perfectly cast characters brought something new that resonated around the world. TLM did not. Such is showbiz. Just in June WB was the laughing stock. Just last year Cruise was top of the world while Margot was labelled boxoffice poison. 

10 minutes ago, Spidey Freak said:

It's very apparent a lot of ya'll have STILL not watched this ahead-of-its-time masterpiece 👇

my-heart-is-yors-megan-fox.gif

I know Diablo Cody would have killed a Barbie movie script if she had been allowed to write the character like she wanted instead of the then studio mandate to girlbossify her.

Funny cause this part isn't in the actual movie lol

3 hours ago, keysersoze123 said:

Missed 100m OS by just 2m. Damnit. Why didn't Universal look for gross from Samoa Islands or some crazy locations 🙂

Maybe they should have tried to open it in Japan. I would be very curious to hear about the film’s reception there.

39 minutes ago, ZattMurdock said:

Have you watched Andor? I sincerely think you’d love the shit out of that. Mandalorian is my favorite character exactly because it has finally opened the world beyond the Jedi and it feels incredibly refreshing, but Andor is deep Star Wars in ways that you’d just not be able to explore with films. 

I forgot about the Han Solo movie because it's rather forgettable. I haven't seen and or yet but I've seen mandalorian season 1 and season 2 and I love those and I also loved the first season of obi-wan.

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, MovieMan89 said:

This is an excellent point. The studios should not just be doing the “female version” of the stuff that males have traditionally loved in blockbusters. That’s part of why Barbie has worked so well with women, it’s absolutely nothing like the typical male blockbuster programming 

That's the issue. The “female version” of blockbusters for male won't regularly be so appealing for women.

So, studios will need to focus on genres that attract women. However, these genders don't often need so big budgets.

3 minutes ago, Kon said:

That's the issue. The “female version” of blockbusters for male won't regularly be so appealing for women.

So, studios will need to focus on genres that attract women. However, these genders don't often need so big budgets.

Barbie and Titanic had big budgets and spectacle. 

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, ListenHunnyUrOver said:

Barbie and Titanic had big budgets and spectacle. 

I know. That's why I said "often".

There are a lot of TV or streaming shows directed to women with not so big budget, but still pretty popular between women.

Don't misunderstand me, it's pretty clear movies directed to women could be pretty profitable. My point is movies would need to attract women in a way that TV shows or streaming couldn't, which isn't a simple task.

PS: Action movies for men are pretty simple, since TV shows couldn't have the same budget.

Edited by Kon