Eric is Quiet

C’MON BARBIE LET'S GO PARTY...AT LOS ALAMOS | BARBENHEIMER WEEKEND THREAD | We’re Thriving in our Plastic Fantastic Era | Mother Mothered with 162M | Daddy Exploded with 82.4M

Your Barbenheimer weekend plans  

175 members have voted

1. 1. What are you going to watch this weekend specifically?

3 minutes ago, MovieMan89 said:

The dream for the weekend right now is something like Barbie 209 Opp 91. Gets Barbie the all time non-Disney record, Opp the all time 2nd place record, and both 300 combined. 

That would be epic as hell. Not sure either of them have enough screen capacity to reach those numbers, given the lobbying from Disney & Paramount to protect the older movies in theaters right now. 

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, redfirebird2008 said:

Super Mario had nostalgia driving it, just like so many other huge movies recently such as Force Awakens, Jurassic World, Top Gun Maverick, Spidey: NWH, and even Barbie. I would throw some of the Avenger movies in there too, since people had waited decades for those movies to arrive on the big screen. All of these movies have a large audience in their 20's to 40's who have great memories of those franchise brands when they were children. 

I think all of those except TGM had a healthy kid/family turnout though. The fact that TGM is also this decade just further adds to my point about the trajectory of blockbusters now. They are adult driven. Big problem for the future if that doesn’t change. 

7 minutes ago, titanic2187 said:

Assuming a 60% Friday jump > 45% Saturday bump > 25% Sunday drop would only lead to $19.5m weekend or 64% drop from OW. Considering the OW was already mostly preview-free unlike other opener, -64% drop is too brutal and cruel. 

You, Concentrate on Barbie and Oppenheimer and then forget about Box Office for the rest of the year because you will fall on depression when the rest of the movies 2023 even your faves all flop. People go to 1 or 3 movies a year probably these days. 

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1
  • Knock It Off 1

6 minutes ago, Shawn said:

Just saw some super early estimates for Friday but I'm a little skeptical about at least one of them and don't wanna cause commotion if it ends up too high.

...that said, 70+ (with previews) for one of them. 👀

I imagine Deadline will have them up shortly.

170-180M+ if thats the case

1 minute ago, MovieMan89 said:

I think all of those except TGM had a healthy kid/family turnout though. The fact that TGM is also this decade just further adds to my point about the trajectory of blockbusters now. They are adult driven. Big problem for the future if that doesn’t change. 

The future is already here, of probably just 2 or 3 movies performing good every year. Maybe even less as time passes. 

• Haha 1

10 minutes ago, BoxOfficeFangrl said:

Jada Pinkett Smith is also part of the Madagascar franchise, though I guess they could record and promote separately. I doubt she'd come back if he was in it, after his post-Slap comedy special.

oh right...

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, MovieMan89 said:

The dream for the weekend right now is something like Barbie 209 Opp 91. Gets Barbie the all time non-Disney record, Opp the all time 2nd place record, and both 300 combined. 

Barbie hitting that number is extremely unlikely. I just dont see math working out. 50m true friday is a stretch at the moment. Needs extraordinary walkups and it seems to be constrained at many places. 

Easier for Oppenheimer to hit that number for sure. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Water Bottle said:

Wouldn't this just be a fast and furious movie 

nah it'd either be Speed Racer 2.0 or something along the lines of Tail Enders/Red Line if they want to take after actually good content.

1 minute ago, MovieMan89 said:

Just saying, kids don't buy the tickets. Parents were a driving force on Super Mario, which has massive nostalgia from the mid-1980's all the way into the early 2000's for kids of that time period, who are now adults with their own kids. It's not the same as the original Toy Story in 1995 for instance. That movie had zero nostalgia factor to grab the attention of parents. So I think your general point seems pretty interesting, that it seems the box office is being heavily driven by the nostalgia of people in the 20-40 age range at the moment.

You could argue there is even some of this going on with Nolan's fanbase too. Everyone remembers their experience with movies like TDK/Inception or pick any other movie by him. I still remember my theatrical experience with The Prestige and it was pretty damn awesome. You want to have another great experience so you show up to his new movies. Similar nostalgia type of thing driving it, just on a smaller scale than these massive franchise type of movies. 

4 minutes ago, Day and Date The Best said:

The future is already here, of probably just 2 or 3 movies performing good every year. Maybe even less as time passes. 

7 minutes ago, Day and Date The Best said:

You, Concentrate on Barbie and Oppenheimer and then forget about Box Office for the rest of the year because you will fall on depression when the rest of the movies 2023 even your faves all flop. People go to 1 or 3 movies a year probably these days. 

you are fun at parties, huh?

• Like 1
  • Haha 2