Eric S'ennui

C’MON BARBIE LET'S GO PARTY...AT LOS ALAMOS | BARBENHEIMER WEEKEND THREAD | We’re Thriving in our Plastic Fantastic Era | Mother Mothered with 162M | Daddy Exploded with 82.4M

Your Barbenheimer weekend plans  

175 members have voted

1. 1. What are you going to watch this weekend specifically?

15 minutes ago, Eric Bainbridge said:

Every generation is too broad, with their own weird, unique expereinces that set people apart even 2 or 3 years apart. This is why lumping a bunch of people into one group like this has never sat right with me. Especially when people go into some diatribe about how "This generation sux because blah blah blah"

It's not an exact science for sure but you can argue some broad underlining attitudes and behavioral traits for the generations. Generations by Strauss & Howe is an excellent book and the newer version Turning Points. The predictions they make at the end of 1980s based on generational cycles is eerily accurate for today and how different generations act.

Oversimplifying, there was a generation that fought the war (greatest), generation that was children then (silent), generation that was born after/durint it (boomers), generation that was born during the 60s and 70s turmoil/cultural revolution (Gen X), and so on. Big part of it is understanding in what kind of world your parents grew up and lived, and theirs parents, and so forth. It would help a lot to make people understand each other cross generational and lessen societal tensions.

E.g. I understood my dad much better when I understood what his farther and that generation went through, how they were broken men due to war, sometimes violent, and often alcoholic. Then my grandmother who lived almost 100 years from the previous pandemic to the last one was even more eye opening when learning from her first-hand account.

In short, the years are not exact science but there are definitely larger cultural and zeitgeist eras that underlie whole generations for decades of spans and are useful to understand.

• Like 3

I think most people imagine Gen Z as 15-25, Millennials as 25-40, Gen X 40-60 and Boomers 60+. Of course there is crossover with the start and end of the spectrums, but its a generalisation not a concrete thing. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, The Panda said:

Saw it in 70mm IMAX

My body is sweaty, my heart is racing, and palms are sweaty. My bodily reaction is exactly as papa Nolan warned.

Ill see it in exactly 14 hours from now. I dont know if my body is ready.

In IMAX, Oppy was a really visceral experience. The entire cinema was shaking. It felt like the roof was going to get blown off.

Edited by Avatree
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, Brainbug said:

Ill see it in exactly 14 hours from now. I dont know if my body is ready.

leading up to and throughout the Trinity and the final act, I thought I might just die in that theater.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, screambaby said:

40-60? Cool so I'm still on the lower end of ancient...

Y'all will probably laugh at me that I freaked out about turning 25 because I was no longer considered "youth". 

• Haha 2

I am not 100% convinced that audience reception will be amazing for Oppy. There were quite a few people in my sold-out imax screen who clearly gave up with the film after about 45 minutes and spent the rest of the film on their phones, bored. I think there may be a portion of the audience who were not expecting a 3 hour courtroom drama.

Think the trailers may have mis-sold this film a fair bit.

Edited by Avatree

Weird to think I'm basically a veteran here too. I don't post much but I joined Mojo when Avatar was about to become the highest grossing movie of all time in 2010. I just turned 13 and went by Avatarfan back then lmao. 

• Heart 1

8 minutes ago, Fanboy said:

Y'all will probably laugh at me that I freaked out about turning 25 because I was no longer considered "youth". 

Since I was 20 a bunch of 25 year old would always go "man you're so young" and my reaction was always "bro we're basically the same age" and that's kept me sane. Also helps that I've lost over a hundred pounds and re-grew my hair that I now look and feel younger than I did when I was 20. But yeah I've never gotten this "ugh I'm 25 now so old" thing even as I'm getting closer and closer.

Edit: It's still strange to me when like a 28 year old talks about how old they are. Like you're still young. You haven't been an adult for that long. It's not like 25 is the same as it was back in the 90s. Like calm down.

Edited by ringedmortality
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, Fanboy said:

Weird to think I'm basically a veteran here too. I don't post much but I joined Mojo when Avatar was about to become the highest grossing movie of all time in 2010. I just turned 13 and went by Avatarfan back then lmao. 

I had a Mojo account to play the derby in 2010 but I didn't post on the forums... for the best

You know, it's so fucking funny how Nolan/Universal were able to sell a 3h drama about men talking about physics and going on congressional hearings as an IMAX event that's about to open to nearly $200M worldwide. Not even Christian Bale in The Prestige could've pulled off a bigger bait and switch.