upriser7

Weekday numbers July 24-27

6 minutes ago, Day and Date The Best said:

Wasnt Jatinder Off on Barbie Opening weeknd prediction initially?

No, he predicted it correctly. Only way $2B could happen is if DOM does something like $700M and OS pulls $1.3B. Jatinder being off by $600M in OS estimates is very unlikely. 

• Like 4

12 minutes ago, ThomasNicole said:

Yeah, they always change the narrative when it doesn’t go the way they expect 

I vividly remember anti-woke crowd mad with James Cameron for criticize his own toxic manly behavior in the past and lots of vídeos talking about Avatar 2 being a flop in the making because it’s woke … they shut up right after the movie opened.

Exactly remmember that too. All those Avatar 2 is floppoing videos innundating Youtube and Twitter.  Then Makes 2 billion, and they shuhh or spin.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Cheddar Please said:

Personally, as much as 100m does seem a tad optimistic, I can't really see a scenario in where Barbie's Friday gross falls below it's Monday gross, that would be virtually unprecedented.

Both TDK and TDKR has lower 2nd Friday gross than first Monday. I2 has very close numbers between two. That being said, I don't think Barbie will face this situation because the Wed's hold was far too strong. 

1 minute ago, redfirebird2008 said:

Plus general expansion of overseas markets. China has exploded from 20 years ago. India will eventually become a lot bigger than current numbers. Bound to happen at some point. 

I dunno, India seems to have its own movies. And we never seem to get reliable numbers from India.

Just now, redfirebird2008 said:

Plus general expansion of overseas markets. China has exploded from 20 years ago. India will eventually become a lot bigger than current numbers. Bound to happen at some point. 

Yes, but I feel like it will remain a very specific type of market. Similar to sports in the market, Hollywood/foreign films probably won't thrive except for a few select exceptions.

2 minutes ago, redfirebird2008 said:

I agree but India i think is more similar to a market like Japan: A strong and very succesfull domestic film market where Hollywood films often struggle to find a big audience. Though im not an expert of Indian box office, so @grim22 @across the Jat verse or @THUNDER BIRD could probably say more about that markets future prospects

But some other Asian markets and especially Latin American ones still have expansion potential as well i think.

31 minutes ago, ChipDerby said:

Do you know what woke means

Lots of these folks don't even know what feminism means.

The number of takes I've seen that assumes, at face value, Barbieland as presented at the beginning as essentially 'the perfect feminist world and what feminists want' and use that as their starting point for discussing the movie is pretty insane.

Edited by Ipickthiswhiterose
  • Like 1
  • Heart 1

The Barbie "woke" or "not woke" discourse is funny. Personally, I'm fine with both of these being true: 

1. Barbie is a great feminist film that tells some in-your-face truths about patriarchy, and it deserves the praise it gets. 
  2. Barbie is still a very mainstream film that presents digestible feminism in a GA-friendly way, allowing people to feel "woke" without pushing them into the uncomfortable zone of alterity. 

Do we have Thurs estimates yet, or is it too soon? Hope Barbie can stay above 20 and Oppie above 10. 

• Like 3

28 minutes ago, Brainbug said:

Yes.

Because Inflation exists.

When that $50 ticket hits    

25 minutes ago, redfirebird2008 said:

Unique scenario where they were industrialising as fast as Meiji Era Japan, while having non-existent to weak film output.