upriser7

Weekday numbers July 24-27

5 minutes ago, redfirebird2008 said:

Dunkirk budget was $100M at most. His wife said it was $80M, but I wonder if she wasn’t including Nolan’s $20M base salary on the project. 

Some estimates put the budget at 150, maybe is gross budget, it says around 80 to 150 net. The current most expensive film till date is Star Wars Episode VII with a 447 million net budget, and originally it was though to be 200-275 for years. 

Edited by Day and Date The Best

3 minutes ago, Day and Date The Best said:

Barbie will probably get over 100 million 2nd weeknd, It's time to start tracking this film like if it is Top Gun Maverick. Barbie 2 billion? 

right now i would say 1.400-1.450B. 

If explodes in Japan maybe can go over 1.5B but not 2B 😀. Any chance of it without at least 150M in China and 100M in South Korea 

Edited by vale9001

7 minutes ago, Derpity said:

I might be more excited to see Oppenheimer a second time (this weekend) than I was the first time.

Wonder which of these movies will get more repeat viewings, I can see both of them having a dedicated fanbase.

Barbie, easily.

I think there will be quite a few cinephiles that want to see Oppenheimer multiple times (including in different formats), but Barbie is a far easier rewatch. 

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Day and Date The Best said:

Barbie will probably get over 100 million 2nd weeknd, It's time to start tracking this film like if it is Top Gun Maverick. Barbie 2 billion? 

Impossible with the numbers it got in Asia. Really needed a better haul in some of those key markets to even consider it.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, harry713 said:

Amy Schumer’s Barbie would have clearly also raked in boatloads of cash because of Barbie’s iconic brand name…

Get real. Gerwig (and Robbie) made Barbie: The Movie as huge as it is. The brand certainly had the reach *potential* sure, but people are seeing Barbie because it’s a Gerwig and Robbie Barbie movie. Don’t get it twisted. 

Exactly. 

• Like 1

This weekend last year pulled 97.9 million total.

With strong holdovers and decent debuts for Haunted Mansion and Talk to Me, this weekend should more than double that. Awesome.

And august was super weak last year, whereas it’s starting with a bang this year with TMNT. Should be fun to track the month YoY

2 minutes ago, Day and Date The Best said:

Maverick saw its second Saturday drop just 5.3% from the first. If Barbie does that, its making like $120M this weekend, not $100M, on its way to $800M+ domestic. As good as this run has been and will likely continue to be, its just not in that class of holds (not very much is, tbh)

3 minutes ago, reddevil19 said:

Barbie, easily.

I think there will be quite a few cinephiles that want to see Oppenheimer multiple times (including in different formats), but Barbie is a far easier rewatch. 

I saw a random post on Reddit where the person claimed they already saw Barbie 17 times. That’s pretty wild, haha 

Barbie isn’t a success just because of Barbie brand or just Greta. It is a mix of a bunch of things. Talented director, Barbie brand, good reviews, pop cultural moment/hype, excellent marketing campaign, story that is relatable and speaks to big audiences, unique story (not a superhero flick or sequel) and ect. 

• Like 6

29 minutes ago, WorkingonaName said:

People are seeing this movie because its Barbie, not because its a Greta Gerwig movie.

I don't think thats right.

People are seeing it because they responded to Greta Gerwigs vision. The trailer where she walks out of the heels and her feet stay up. The set photos since a year ago. The 2001 space odyssey trailer. The crazy barbie dream house soundstage set. Quotes like "I am Kenough" or "I'll beach both of you off". Its unique and people can feel its different and exciting and interesting.

Without needing to know her name, people respond to what she is bringing to the table.

Bring a random generic director and it goes the way of the previous Bratz movie. Or, if Schumer had stayed on, you think Barbie would have done the same performance?

Credit where credit is due.

Edited by swishy
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, baumer said:

I'm sure this has been mentioned before somewhere in the thread but if Barbie was to follow the dark Knight it would gross 95 million dollars this weekend. Don't mean to beat a dead horse but I have no idea what deadline is thinking with their 70 million projection. 😒

Considering it has stronger weekdays than TDK it could have softer jumps on the weekend and still come in under 90. But I don't know where the 70M comes from, lol 80M would have been more reasonable. 

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, BoxOfficeZ said:

I still remember people suggesting Barbie might be frontloaded because of the saturday number in the weekend thread. Maybe they meant frontloaded all summer? 

As one who suggested such, turns out it was much more due to fixed capacity limitations than anything having to do with demand. And so we've seen that unmet demand consistently roll forward into the ensuring days, spreading the opening out over the first 10 days rather than an OW surge and drop-off

• Like 1

1 minute ago, redfirebird2008 said:

I saw a random post on Reddit where the person claimed they already saw Barbie 17 times. That’s pretty wild, haha 

I have questions about this LOL first of all why would you see a movie 17 times it's first week? Secondly even if each ticket was only 10 bucks, and that's highly unlikely, between drinks and popcorn and refreshments and so on that's easily over $250. And third, Hunter other movies you could spread that money around to?

5 minutes ago, M37 said:

Maverick saw its second Saturday drop just 5.3% from the first. If Barbie does that, its making like $120M this weekend, not $100M, on its way to $800M+ domestic. As good as this run has been and will likely continue to be, its just not in that class of holds (not very much is, tbh)

top gun started with 126M first weekend vs 162 of Barbie..

We need at least the third weekend to say Top gun was another "class of holds" imo. 

Edited by vale9001

1 hour ago, reddevil19 said:

https://deadline.com/2023/07/barbie-oppenheimer-second-weekend-box-office-haunted-mansion-1235450156/

(...) it’s another sexy $20M+ day for Barbie with an estimated $21.4M on Thursday (-7% from Wednesday)

Oppenheimer made $10M yesterday, -6% from Wednesday, for a first week of $127.8M. Again, in the face of Barbie, that’s an excellent hold. Barbie is expected to gross around $70M in weekend 2, Oppenheimer is around $35M. We are hearing both pics are looking at the best second weekend presales ever.

AHAHAHAHA

With those Thu numbers, what kind of collapse are they anticipating on the weekend for fuck's sake?

D'Alessandro is so stubborn through years with this lowballing. I think it's even kind of amazing.

Edited by KeepItU25071906