Shawn Robbins

The Box Office Buzz, Tracking, and Pre-Sale Thread

34 minutes ago, Grand Cine said:

So 25 millions for OW maybe ? You have also data for Furiosa ? Because of Cannes Premiere this week he could have a boost @keysersoze123

I looked at Furiosa earlier. It has way stronger sales than Garfield and that is expected. I am thinking of 5m previews for now. 

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
22 minutes ago, TwoMisfits said:

For the record, I'm kinda shocked at the opening set from my Cinemarks...

2 screens (1 PLF, 1 not) and 6 showings at my PLF 14 for Thursday (and 11 showings on the same screens once it runs full day - 7 PLF b/c 1 is 3d on the reg screen, 4 not)...

3 screens (.75 3d, 2.25 not) and 9 showings at the non-PLF 12 for Thursday (and 12 showings on 2.25 screens once it runs full day)...

So, 2 and 2.25 screens for the weekend presale sets...

Disney must be charging a huge % for themselves b/c this is an Elemental opening set at my PLF...a little more generous for Thursday at my non-PLF, but then they too drop to an Elemental opening set after the adult Disney base Thursday rush...

It's the inverse here at Marcus. Theaters are going all out for IO2 with it having the lion share of PLFs with it getting both screens when there is two PLFs with tentpole like levels of screens. Again, I think it's plausible that it plays more like Minions 2/KFP4 than a Across/TLM although I'm iffy in using them for reasons, IO2 skews younger and more female we may not see a big rush until the week of release.

@keysersoze123, IK it's very early but how is IO2 looking on your end?

Edited by YM!
  • Like 1

Too early as ticket sales just started early this morning. Families dont book tickets on weekday mornings. Wait until evening today to judge it. From a release perspective its way bigger than all animation movies seen recently including Panda 4. Easily the biggest I have seen in a long time. Only movie which is not comparable is Mario but that was not just a family flick. 

• Like 7

2 hours ago, YM! said:

In fairness it's only been an hour but yeah sales are softer than I expected. However, it is a month out and will largely skew more towards kids than say TLM/Across so wasn't expecting a blitz like them

Well not because of that. I haven't seen anything yet and it's still very early but some comments here seem wayy too bullish. This is still a Animated movie and we don't know if it's going to behave like a normal one or not during pre-sales.

• Like 1

I think whatever Panda 4's pattern was would be a decent comp, also was a nostalgic kids franchise

As far as Canton is concerned a group of five has already bought an evening thursday preview

• Like 1

As far as more immediate releases go, I do also see sluggish growth with IF Thursday previews but idk, Fri-Sun now at close to 250 at the theater I'm tracking. I think there is legit interest here and all the official numbers have been pointing to a $40mil ish opening. I guess we'll find out soon.

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, keysersoze123 said:

Too early as ticket sales just started early this morning. Families dont book tickets on weekday mornings. Wait until evening today to judge it. From a release perspective its way bigger than all animation movies seen recently including Panda 4. Easily the biggest I have seen in a long time. Only movie which is not comparable is Mario but that was not just a family flick. 

I set up my sheets for tomorrow.  Already at 180 shows for previews in my areas and still has a few theaters left to post.  For comparison, Godzilla x Kong finished with 197, Kingdom of Apes 190, and Kung Fu Panda 205. 

• Like 4

Posted (edited)

I'm expecting something like an Elemental critical reception for IF based on early LBXD and French reviews, but obviously general audiences thought way better about that. Have heard rumblings about it being "too dark" and "too boring" which brings Where the Wild Things Are to mind. Fortunately the movie's already off to a much better start than that one was internationally and the rumored budget is $30 mil less unadjusted.

Edited by AniNate

25 minutes ago, AniNate said:

Have heard rumblings about it being "too dark" and "too boring" which brings Where the Wild Things Are to mind.

Very curious how a movie that features a farting gummy bear is "too dark" lmao

Posted (edited)

So I put borders on my spread sheet, but the borders didnt translate over to the page, just wondering if I shouls be posting it in a different format?

IF

Thurs May 16 Fri May 17 (T-3)

Toronto and Montreal Canada

#show Seats Sold Seats Rem Ttl seat Percent
Toronto Thurs 4 9 22 2447 2469 0.0089
  Fri 4 24 96 6062 6158 0.0155

Montreal              
  Thurs 2 4 14 750 764 0.0183
  Fri 2 7 33 1406 1439 0.0229
Edited by Tinalera
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1

24 minutes ago, Tinalera said:

So I put borders on my spread sheet, but the borders didnt translate over to the page, just wondering if I shouls be posting it in a different format?

What web browser are you using?  I've found that Chrome and this board don't always play nice when copy-n-pasting spreadsheet cells.  But, for me at least, Firefox will faithfully transpose things like borders and other formatting.  Will also see it in Chrome if I'm using Google Sheets (which, BTW, I don't normally use).

1 hour ago, Eric the IF said:

Very curious how a movie that features a farting gummy bear is "too dark" lmao

I’d bet good money that Ryan Reynolds character was actually dead the whole time. 

Cineplexs site has been glitchy, so I can't check out how Inside Out is doing. I don't expect too much, both based on being animated and families not booking in the middle of the day. Plus, things have been more backloaded in this market recently.

On another note, showtimes are starting yo go up for the following week, so I'll have updated showings for Garfield and Furiosa on their next update.

Also, Hit Man is getting a theatrical release up here, and early signs are that it might get a pretty decent screen count. Not super wide or anything, but a pretty decent amount for a weekend that has a lot of other releases.