katnisscinnaplex

Weekend Thread 7/28-7/30 - Barbenheimer Week 2; Barbie 93M/Oppy 46.2M - Haunted Mansion & Talk to Me OW; Mansion 24.2M, Talk 10M

2 minutes ago, G Doss said:

Do we get three consecutive $200 million-plus weekends?

TMNT has been well received and is only 90 minutes long. That's a lot of potential showings for a well-known IP.

I could see it doing $65-$70 million OW easily.  The last one did back in 2014.

Haven't people learned already that Barbenheimer crushes everything? MEG and TMNT will suffer, too. I think TMNT can carve out a decent tally if the WoM is good but for its 3-day OW I wouldn't expect much more than 30m.

2 minutes ago, kayumanggi said:

THE LITTLE MERMAID has collapsed in the last couple of weeks. It seems 300M is dead unless it gets a big expansion.

A Labor Day double feature with Haunted Mansion is all it needs. Have some faith, people!

• Like 2
  • Heart 1

7 minutes ago, JustLurking said:

free girl except it's good

Listen, I’ve watched Free Guy way more times than I’d care to admit, for the same reason: it’s just fun & entertaining 

• Like 1

Just reading through comments since I don't have much time to reply but I saw someone say Barbie will surpass TGM? Isn't that a little premature to say? Lol If it continues at its current pace during weekdays, it may have a shot but there's always the possibility that it starts to drop off and we see more "typical" numbers, coming in under some peoples expectations. 

11 minutes ago, G Doss said:

I could see it doing $65-$70 million OW easily. 

Reaction Surprised GIF

Presales are solid, but it’s a Wednesday opening so demand will burn out some before weekend, and the first father & son film … Transformers? Maybe Flash? It’s been all women and older men skewing releases since then 

54 minutes ago, wildphantom said:

Unless it’s already been mentioned, another movie we’re all sleeping on that if done right should be a massive hit all over the world next year. 

Antoine Fuqua’s Michael Jackson biopic - Michael. 

Now that's one that could actually be a massive unexpected breakout like Maverick or Barbie.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Ororo Munroe said:

Just reading through comments since I don't have much time to reply but I saw someone say Barbie will surpass TGM? Isn't that a little premature to say? Lol If it continues at its current pace during weekdays, it may have a shot but there's always the possibility that it starts to drop off and we see more "typical" numbers, coming in under some peoples expectations. 

the fact every single day for 10 days, not 1, has made more makes more possible it will than it won't.

Then it's not surprising you're negative about it but positive ones right now have more points than you. 

Edited by vale9001

Looks like we're currently at the 4th biggest July ever (Also 4th biggest month in general). If the weekend adjusts up a bit and Monday is strong there's a good chance this ends up as the second biggest month ever, though probably will be just shy of the record

9 minutes ago, vale9001 said:

the fact every single day for 10 days, not 1, has made more makes more possible it will than it won't.

Then it's not surprising you're negative about it but positive ones right now have more points than you. 

Lol! Is it "negative" or being realistic? Like people who got excited for a bigger opening weekend, a bigger Monday, a bigger Thursday, all leading to some disappointment that it didn't get a 100M second weekend. Very weird how you interpreted my mild question as an attack. One would think some of you had personal investment in Barbie's BO numbers. 

Edited by Ororo Munroe

20 minutes ago, Ororo Munroe said:

Worldwide 

1 hour ago, wildphantom said:

Unless it’s already been mentioned, another movie we’re all sleeping on that if done right should be a massive hit all over the world next year. 

Antoine Fuqua’s Michael Jackson biopic - Michael. 

When it hits will just be proof Disney should've done a Captain EO movie instead of Haunted Mansion.

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, XXR Dar-Benn said:

He's correct. Ali transcended celebrity in the 60's and 70's. Michael Jackson would be a relatively close 2nd. 

I mean biggest celebrity of all time is hard to declare with any certainty. Lots of people are insanely famous during their time. I'm sure Ali was very famous but amongst most young people today he's just one of many older celebrities who you know but doesn't stand out more than any other. Michael Jackson would definitely be more popular/known about if I started going around asking the people I know I'm guessing.

Not that I'm saying there's somebody far more famous than those two, but I'm guessing theres a decent amount that would be right around them