katnisscinnaplex

Weekend Thread 7/28-7/30 - Barbenheimer Week 2; Barbie 93M/Oppy 46.2M - Haunted Mansion & Talk to Me OW; Mansion 24.2M, Talk 10M

26 minutes ago, lorddemaxus said:

They had churches and conservative donors give a bunch of money for tickets. Whatever. What I'm getting at is the rest of the world doesn't care enough about this film to do that.

So you think the rest of the world doesn't care about child trafficking? The film probably takes place out of the United States for about 75% of the film. There's definitely going to be a market for this all across the world.

Don’t see Oppenheimer missing $300m domestic now. Only needs a 3.7x multi from second weekend to get there ($125.4m to go)

Inception made $4m less weekend 2 and managed $151m more, and Dunkirk managed $87m more off of a $26.6m second weekend.

$325m seems to be the goal based on that.

• Like 2
  • Astonished 1

59 minutes ago, Hildagarde25 said:

No, I was actually talking about WW - if you meant my list? Jaws, E.T., ANH, Jurassic Park, Titanic, Avatar, and Endgame were the highest WW grossers at one point. I think Godfather was, too, but I'd have to double check to be sure.  

My knowledge of the box office is pretty vague before jaws. I know the Exorcist was a huge grossing film as was The Godfather what if I had to put money on it I would say probably the sound of music was the biggest grossing film worldwide before The Godfather but I could be wrong.

3 minutes ago, baumer said:

My knowledge of the box office is pretty vague before jaws. I know the Exorcist was a huge grossing film as was The Godfather what if I had to put money on it I would say probably the sound of freedom was the biggest grossing film worldwide before The Godfather but I could be wrong.

I proved you are right,the Godfather was the highest grossing film both DOM and OS.

Edited by Sophia Jane

2 minutes ago, baumer said:

So you think the rest of the world doesn't care about child trafficking? The film probably takes place out of the United States for about 75% of the film. There's definitely going to be a market for this all across the world.

In the UK here. Randomly, a colleague of mine today mentioned this film 'that was being suppressed' about child trafficking that she wants to see (after we talked about her Barbie screening this weekend).

Ok - one anecdote alone doesn't mean this is going to break out. But awareness isn't zero, could definitely see this picking up some business across Europe and Australia/NZ

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, baumer said:

I think its obvious thats not what I mean. I don't have to point out that the biggest reason the movie is a big deal in the US is because it's politicized do I? Like a very specific demographic in America is watching it. I totally see it being a hit in countries like Brazil though. I think theres gonna be interest in other places, but not the same kind of organized support it has here.

Edited by lorddemaxus
  • Like 2

We are in a globalized world. I have also heard fachos here in Chile saying that they want to see Sound of Freedom (especifically someone who wasn't been to cinema since Top Gun Maverick -which wasn't even a big hit here- and doesn't want to see Barbie because it is "Ideological") Is appealing to right-wingers predisposed to like the US propaganda all around the globe

• Like 3
  • Sad 3

1 hour ago, Hildagarde25 said:

And it was in the 70s that the change began, ironically. It's funny how Godfather was like the peak for these kinds of blockbuster dramas, then Jaws in '75 became the highest grosser, only to have Star Wars (ANH) smash it in '77. After that, it was E.T., Jurassic Park, Titanic, Avatar, and Endgame. Yes, Titanic was a more traditional drama, but the other movies weren't the type that would've been blockbusters pre-1970s.

I wonder if we'll ever see a Godfather, The Sound of the Music, or a Titanic be at the top again (which would require like 3 bill now). 

124 million tickets sold in America for Doctor Zhivago. That will never happen again, certainly not for a drama movie featuring very little action. Titanic had a solid 90 minutes of major action/spectacle, which helps explain massive ticket sales in modern times. 

• Like 1

There's some showings near me here in Canada now. I know at least one guy who plans on seeing it. Not sure how long it's been out here in Canada but I imagine it's probably doing decent here for similar reasons to the US

12 minutes ago, baumer said:

My knowledge of the box office is pretty vague before jaws. I know the Exorcist was a huge grossing film as was The Godfather what if I had to put money on it I would say probably the sound of freedom was the biggest grossing film worldwide before The Godfather but I could be wrong.

I did a little digging, and yes the Sound of Music and Gone with the Wind were definitely the highest WW grossers at one point (I believe Gone with the Wind is still the highest adjusted for inflation). Godfather is murkier because I can't find info that separates original release from re-release numbers (I'm sure it's there, but I don't have time to dig for it now). It appears Godfather held the crown, and most include it in the list, but idk. The Exorcist was really successful, but it didn't hold the crown. So, it seems to be Gone with the Wind, Sound of Music, Godfather (likely), Jaws, A New Hope, E.T., Jurassic Park, Titanic, Avatar, Endgame.  

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, solaris said:

In the UK here. Randomly, a colleague of mine today mentioned this film 'that was being suppressed' about child trafficking that she wants to see (after we talked about her Barbie screening this weekend).

Ok - one anecdote alone doesn't mean this is going to break out. But awareness isn't zero, could definitely see this picking up some business across Europe and Australia/NZ

It’s incredibly frustrating how fake news like that still spreads and manipulates people so easily. Anecdotal as well but I’ve seen the exact same narrative being spread in Brazil in some conservative circles before Sony had even thought about seeking international distribution for this.

People just swallow nonsense like this right up.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Arlborn said:

It’s incredibly frustrating how fake news like that still spreads and manipulates people so easily. Anecdotal as well but I’ve seen the exact same narrative being spread in Brazil in some conservative circles before Sony had even thought about seeking international distribution for this.

People just swallow nonsense like this right up.

Yeah the guy I was talking about who wants to see it only heard of it from tiktok and thinks the left tried to outlaw it or something

• Like 1

18 hours ago, WorkingonaName said:

We do it for the entertainment value. 

Stalingrad.

LOL not happening with what Russia's been up to lately. Maybe if Russia had a film industry they could produce it. 

17 hours ago, Ozymandias said:

I believe a certain Steven Spielberg movie showed that better than anyone could've imagined and is still the definitive war movie.

True, but an entire movie about it?