katnisscinnaplex

Weekend Thread 7/28-7/30 - Barbenheimer Week 2; Barbie 93M/Oppy 46.2M - Haunted Mansion & Talk to Me OW; Mansion 24.2M, Talk 10M

@TwoMisfits

Sound of freedom looks like it's going to be at around $149 million at the end of the weekend. The projected total for this weekend is about 13.5 million. I enjoy picking your brain about a film's potential to hit a certain number. Do you think it has a chance to get to 200 million? 

I think it can and it'll probably scrape by the number. I am excited to see what it does on the international front now as there seems to be more and more markets that are being added.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, baumer said:

@TwoMisfits

Sound of freedom looks like it's going to be at around $149 million at the end of the weekend. The projected total for this weekend is about 13.5 million. I enjoy picking your brain about a film's potential to hit a certain number. Do you think it has a chance to get to 200 million? 

I think it can and it'll probably scrape by the number. I am excited to see what it does on the international front now as there seems to be more and more markets that are being added.

This movie is actively being stanned by some very deranged conspiracy theory types in Brazil, so yikes, I'm staying very far away from it once it comes to Brazil.

To be honest though, I was going to stay far away from it anyway because the lead actor is a complete lunatic and I'm very let down by him after having loved his TV show Person of Interest. I'm not going to go deep into it but nowadays I catch myself wondering about whether he had any creative input in a couple of very questionable deaths in that show. The answer is probably not of course, he was just the lead in it, but still it's sadly tainted in my mind now.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, Arlborn said:

I was going to stay far away from it anyway because the lead actor is a complete lunatic and I'm very let down by him after having loved his TV show Person of Interest.

Frequency used to be one of my low-key favorite rewatch movies, something I would leave on if it was playing while flipping through channels

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, baumer said:

And it's been addressed publicly and privately and nothing's been done about it. Like I honestly don't understand what Eric hopes to accomplish by doing this. He just flat out comes across as a dictator and an asshole. Could you imagine if someone tried talking like this to you in real life? Like if this was on the playground he'd never be like this for sure. There's no way he would talk like this to you face to face. 

Of course he wouldn't talk like that in real life - which is why he does it here...some weird form of power trip.

1 hour ago, Noctis said:

Eric is often like this. Gets a power trip and acts like an ass and enjoys not letting others talk, but because he's a mod, he gets a pass.

1 hour ago, baumer said:

And it's been addressed publicly and privately and nothing's been done about it. Like I honestly don't understand what Eric hopes to accomplish by doing this. He just flat out comes across as a dictator and an asshole. Could you imagine if someone tried talking like this to you in real life? Like if this was on the playground he'd never be like this for sure. There's no way he would talk like this to you face to face. 

Just for both of your informations, while the staff are largely fine with my moderation style, they do not let me go on “power trips” and have called me out when they think I gave a warning unfairly. This included my moderation warning towards Zatt that both of you think I am too aggressive on.

Although, frankly, I don’t see how I was aggressive? I told Zatt to stop his condescending attitude and fighting against Deep Wang. I was quite stern about it, but I don’t think being stern is bad? Especially when you are a moderator? Plus people were clearly growing tired of Zatt and his behavior towards people in this thread. In fact, people have found him a problematic user for months now. But when I tell a user people have problems with to knock it off, folks here say I’m a bully and power hungry? I’m getting a ton of mixed signals here.

• Like 3
  • Knock It Off 3

1 hour ago, KC7 said:

It's a Christian Christmas musical. Has a few recognizable faces in it; Antonio Banderas is the big name.

eta: Found the thread for it, but the title's misspelled:

My apologies. Will correct it. Thank you.

• Like 1

I can't see SoF missing 200m. If it comes close PiF will push it over. I think it's outright stupid to reject a film because someone else's belief that has nothing to do with actual movie. That's just as bad of brainwashed sheep behaviour as believing in QAnon. Don't suppose all of you skipped JW, Mario and GotG due to Chris Pratt's beliefs?

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Eric the Hatbox Ghost said:

Just for both of your informations, while the staff are largely fine with my moderation style, they do not let me go on “power trips” and have called me out when they think I gave a warning unfairly. This included my moderation warning towards Zatt that both of you think I am too aggressive on.

Although, frankly, I don’t see how I was aggressive? I told Zatt to stop his condescending attitude and fighting against Deep Wang. I was quite stern about it, but I don’t think being stern is bad? Especially when you are a moderator? Plus people were clearly growing tired of Zatt and his behavior towards people in this thread. In fact, people have found him a problematic user for months now. But when I tell a user people have problems with to knock it off, folks here say I’m a bully and power hungry? I’m getting a ton of mixed signals here.

"If we are kind and polite, the world will be right." is probably what people are getting at.

• Like 1
  • Heart 1

Just now, filmlover said:

Talk to Me getting a B+ CinemaScore grade is pretty good actually, especially when you consider something like Hereditary earned a D+.

It's very good, indeed. Better than M3GAN, NOPE, and  CANDYMAN which all got a B.

On 7/27/2023 at 12:24 PM, M37 said:

Ran some quick math ... despite starting off with a much lower preview value, Barbenheimer (barring a weak Thursday) should finish its first week just between TFA ($390.86M) and No Way Home ($385.87M). And there's a decent (20-25% ??) chance that it can catch all the way up to TFA by Sunday, at $540.1M. Needs a ~$153M combined second weekend, depending on where exactly Thursday numbers fall

Now not even July can match the strength of the post-Christmas weekdays, so Barbenheimer will surely lose ground starting on Monday, but then also won't have the post-holiday drop-off in weeks 3 & 4 (>50% both weeks for TFA), and can catch back up. We're probably looking at $700M+ by the end of week 3, and there's a very real chance of seeing a combined domestic total over $900M, if not making a real run at TFA's $936.66M record total

ax43ZjB.png

I realize it can be viewed as somewhat cheating to combine to films in this manner, but given the shared release date and the natural cross-promotion, these titles are inexorably linked in a way that viewing their grosses as an aggregate total just seems ... right. Two movies, but a shared cultural phenomenon

Following up here ... Barbeheimer finished the first week at $386.26M, edging out NWH's $385.87M first week, only a tad below TFA's $390.86M (and ahead of both for the TFri-Thu, excluding previews)

Want more? If weekend numbers land where expected off of Friday estimates, and the films combined settle into a reasonable -35% drop rate by the upcoming Wednesday, the combined total will pass Endgame around Day 18-19, catch up to TFA sometime around day 21-22, and will be sailing past both at the end of 4 weeks

Do I hear Barbenheimer Billion?

• Astonished 1

4 minutes ago, WrathOfHan said:

Talk to Me might be the biggest miss trade tracking's had in a while. It's beating OW expectations in one day with strong WOM.

If by tracking you mean ProBO, then yes, though that $3.1M weekend figure was inexplicably low - preview tracking was always around $1M, growing to closer to $1.5M in final few days. Should have been more high single digits, which Talk to Me is still going to beat, but horror films are notoriously difficult to gauge precisely

Really hope Barbie and Oppy can somehow scrape by $29/14, but half a mil less for both wouldn't be the end of the world.

Seeing Talk to Me in about an hour during a thunderstorm - perfect ambiance. Then Barbie tonight after the storm clears before an all-day beach day tomorrow. Hope everyone's having a great weekend!

Edited by Dragoncaine
  • Like 1

18 minutes ago, Eric the Hatbox Ghost said:

You give warnings for stupid things. It's like other people say if someone disagrees with you or you don't like the way someone says something you give points out. I don't know any moderator who has ever been like the way you are. And if the staff doesn't have a problem with you that's one thing but a lot of people here do and that should count for more.

• Like 2
  • Heart 2
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, Krissykins said:

What’s this? Never heard of it and it’s not on BOM’s schedule. 

It's supposed to be a Nov 10 release from Sony/Affirm...schedules I see online still have it, as does the movie's website.  I posted the teaser trailer earlier in this thread...

The site for the movie is down, but you can google search Journey to Bethlehem and find it.  

With Sony kicking its big Oct and Dec releases, I gotta think they are deciding to push this one as their holiday film...ala hoping to get the crossover audience Sound of Freedom is currently enjoying, although in this case, adult crime thriller plus fly over faith would be family and adult musical plus fly over faith...

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, The Dark Alfred said:

I can't see SoF missing 200m. If it comes close PiF will push it over. I think it's outright stupid to reject a film because someone else's belief that has nothing to do with actual movie. That's just as bad of brainwashed sheep behaviour as believing in QAnon. Don't suppose all of you skipped JW, Mario and GotG due to Chris Pratt's beliefs?

Did you *see* what he said? Nuts. Someone like Chris Pratt is certainly a lot less overt about whatever crazy stuff he might believe in. But no, it is not just about the lead but rather the absolutely toxic environment around it.

Plus, I certainly skipped the opportunity to watch Black Panther 2 at the cinemas because I couldn't stand to watch the lead actress becoming the titular character on a big screen so soon after the pandemic, considering her absolutely irresponsible comments about it.

At the end of the day it's all about personal choices, isn't it? It's not always black and white, but for example I certainly would skip anything made with Kevin Spacey at the movie theaters nowadays.

Edited by Arlborn
  • Like 8