setna

Weekday numbers 7-31 to 8-3

16 minutes ago, Jonwo said:

How on earth has HM managed to retain their locations and why has Barbie lost more than Oppenheimer?

Haunted Mansion has the theaters it does because usually contracts say every new release has to spend at least two weeks in the cinema. It's not been two weeks yet so it's not dropped locations.

• Like 1

Its likely that the theaters lost by Barbie could be smaller ones. Could be even independent one. Those theaters would not even be playing Oppenheimer. Plus Oppenheimer always had limited shows even in big multiplexes while Barbie has way bigger release. Loss of these small theaters will have zero impact to its BO. 

• Like 3

58 minutes ago, BoxOfficeFangrl said:

Monstrous drops incoming for MI, Indiana Jones and Elemental.

What the hell was Paramount thinking with MI?

Just now, CJohn said:

Monstrous drops incoming for MI, Indiana Jones and Elemental.

What the hell was Paramount thinking with MI?

That is the problem, they werent thinking.

• Haha 1

TMNT is really good, feel like they finally cracked that formula for a movie. Some of the animated series' have been good (or at least I remember them being as a kid), but I tried watching the 2007 animated film last night and had to shut it off 50 minutes in. The live-action movies were all kind of bad, but hopefully the Last Ronin game is good.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, Fanboy said:

Theatres generally have a 2 week contract to keep a movie regardless how it performs. Barbie is still playing in over 4,000 theatres so losing theatres isn't a big deal. Jurassic World lost 93 theatres in it's third weekend even though its theatre average the weekend before was nearly $25K. 

Every once in a while, something from a smaller studio will crash out hard and the theaters will dump it in Week 2. Oogieloves and Playmobil come to mind: neither got near $1 million for the OW in over 2,000+ theaters, the per theater averages were in the $200s. Haunted Mansion is practically Endgame compared to a Delgo.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, IronJimbo & Sheldon's Son said:

Voldy says 11.2m & 5.5m+

11.2 would be a bit disappointing since all that is opening tonight is Meg. Hopefully it has a bigger Friday jump than last weekend. 

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, keysersoze123 said:

Its likely that the theaters lost by Barbie could be smaller ones. Could be even independent one. Those theaters would not even be playing Oppenheimer. Plus Oppenheimer always had limited shows even in big multiplexes while Barbie has way bigger release. Loss of these small theaters will have zero impact to its BO. 

There's one specialty theater by me that plays mostly foreign and independent films and they'll play a blockbuster every so often I assume as a boost so they can stay in business in their main niche. That's what I assume are a big portion of the theaters that drop these big movies after just 2 weeks.

29 minutes ago, IronJimbo & Sheldon's Son said:

Disney contracts are a cancer to exhibitors

I mean...this would happen even if this was Sony or Paramount or whatever that released Haunted Mansion. Especially since it's not most theaters would have anything to replace the movie that will be #5 for the weekend. I know it's fun to complain about Disney, but do it when it actually matters mate.

11 minutes ago, TMP said:

TMNT is really good, feel like they finally cracked that formula for a movie. Some of the animated series' have been good (or at least I remember them being as a kid), but I tried watching the 2007 animated film last night and had to shut it off 50 minutes in. The live-action movies were all kind of bad, but hopefully the Last Ronin game is good.

The Rise of the TMNT movie that came out last year was pretty fun. Don't think it's super accessible to people who aren't familiar with the show it's based on, but it's still got some legit cool animation and fight scenes that would have been my shit if I was 12.

• Like 1