Issac Newton

Weekend Thread | Estimates - Barbie $53M (hit a billion!), Meg2 $30M, Oppy $28.7, TMNT - $27.95M (5-day $43M), HauntedMansion $8.97M

2 minutes ago, MovieMan89 said:

Disney has money from Endgame + No Way Home + A2 that would fund dozens more epic bombs like this year through the rest of the decade at least. Now, if they fail this hard for like a solid 10 years, we can talk about their actual demise prospects. 

I think Sony gets  most of the NWH money but point still stands yes. 

6 minutes ago, hasanahmad said:

You are not a film aficionado if you consider only special effects movies as big screen worthy . This thinking is why the glory days of movies in 90s are replaced by cg fests to cater to audiences with this thinking 

You misunderstood what I meant. I meant, if Barbie isn't a spectacle movie, neither is Oppenheimer. I don't understand how anyone can argue one film is theatrical, but the other isn't.

1 hour ago, emoviefan said:

Makes sense. Like I said have not seen barbie yet. I guess I mean more the people who say they have seen Oppie 5 or 6 times. Like really? Are people independentaly wealthy or something. Like the movies I love I see maybe twice in theater every viewing after that at home because yes I still buy Blu Rays or streaming. 

People with the right movie theater subscription can see a film as many times as they want for little/no extra cost (besides time).

I would disagree about Barbie's lack of cinematic appeal: for the target audience, seeing Barbieland and the costumes on the big screen is definitely part of the draw. It's not so different than the excitement for the first time a specific comic book character gets a movie, fans want to see the world realized in a way that's well produced (vs cheap).

Edited by BoxOfficeFangrl
  • Like 2

11 minutes ago, emoviefan said:

I think Sony gets  most of the NWH money but point still stands yes. 

I mean I can’t imagine the deal was made through the nature of pure altruism from Disney (“oh please Sony, let us use the IP in the universe we worked hard to set up for success for you and you can keep all the profits!!” Lol). 

But can also replace NWH with Frozen 2 though in that group. 

3 minutes ago, BoxOfficeFangrl said:

People with the right movie theater subscription can see a film as many times as they want for little/no extra cost (besides time).

I would disagree that Barbie's lack of cinematic appeal: for the target audience, seeing Barbieland and the costumes on the big screen is definitely part of the draw. It's not so different than the excitement for the first time a specific comic book character gets a movie, fans want to see the world realized in a way that's well produced (vs cheap)

If at some point they will release Barbie on IMAX there are a lot and i mean a lot of people would watch It again that format. 

Edited by vale9001
  • Like 2

2 minutes ago, MovieMan89 said:

I mean I can’t imagine the deal was made through the nature of pure altruism from Disney (“oh please Sony, let us use the IP in the universe we worked hard to set up for success for you and you can keep all the profits!!” Lol). 

But can also replace NWH with Frozen 2 though in that group. 

Sony has to pay Marvel a percentage of the profits from any Spider-Man related film so Disney is likely quids in even without having to lift a finger.

Edited by Jonwo
  • Like 1

If they really want to sink all of their Millennial nostalgia box office receipts with Shrek, they will make a live action remake. Talk about a sure fire way to flush the IP cash in down the drain with us. Especially after the TLK remake train wreck. 

2 minutes ago, BoxOfficeFangrl said:

I would disagree that Barbie's lack of cinematic appeal: for the target audience, seeing Barbieland and the costumes on the big screen is definitely part of the draw. It's not so different than the excitement for the first time a specific comic book character gets a movie, fans want to see the world realized in a way that's well produced (vs cheap).

Yeah i guess time is what I wonder about. Seeing barbie in a theater 5 or 6 times yeah not a big chunk of the day or weekend  but Oppie? I have a lot free time on my hands on the weekend but  I would not go to a theater to see a 3 hour movie over and over again. If there is a good new movie out I want to see will be seeing that after the second viewing of Oppie at the most. 

1 minute ago, MovieMan89 said:

If they really want to sink all of their Millennial nostalgia box office receipts with Shrek, they will make a live action remake. Talk about a sure fire way to flush the IP cash in down the drain with us. Especially after the TLK remake train wreck. 

The Lion King made a lot of money though. A live action Shrek in a way would act a parody to those Disney live action remakes in the same way the original Shrek parodies classic Disney animation.

• Like 4

4 minutes ago, Jonwo said:

The Lion King made a lot of money though. A live action Shrek in a way would act a parody to those Disney live action remakes in the same way the original Shrek parodies classic Disney animation.

Oh damn… ok, that’s actually kind of brilliant now that you bring it up. I could be on board with that. 

My thing about TLK remake being a train wreck though was in its reception from my age demo in particular, where nostalgia is highest (we loathe it). But that could work in favor of that concept you’re pitching for Shrek… 

Edited by MovieMan89

7 minutes ago, Jonwo said:

Sony has to pay Marvel a percentage of the profits from any Spider-Man related film so Disney is likely quids in even without having to lift a finger.

Yeah true but I feel like I have read stories that Disney/Marvel did not get much of Holland Trilogy profits. Could be wrong though. 

11 minutes ago, emoviefan said:

Yeah true but I feel like I have read stories that Disney/Marvel did not get much of Holland Trilogy profits. Could be wrong though. 

My understanding is that they received a measly five percent of the profits for HC and FFH, but that after renegotiating in 2019, Disney received 25% of the profits for NWH. Disney also owns the merchandising rights for Spider-Man, which I’m pretty sure Sony doesn’t get a penny from. 

Edited by WittyUsername
  • Like 2

The more important for Disney so far as i'm aware is that the boxoffice is low single digits percent of their yearly revenue last i checked. Their total WW boxoffice so far this year is 4 billion (Not counting Fox or Searchlight i'm pretty sure but still), they get less than half of that. There's more time left in the year but their yearly revenue is $86~ billion in the last 4 quarters and the last few years they've had well over $20 billion in profit each year.

• Like 1

A lot of people have picked up that Oppy will beat Sing 2's record for highest grossing movie never to be #1, but I just realised that it might also hold that record worldwide once all is said and done, and potentially gross a billion too which would be crazy. I'm not too sure what holds that record currently, maybe a Chinese movie that released on the same weekend as a big hollywood tentpole?

3 hours ago, kayumanggi said:

BARBIE

08.31 UAE, Egypt, Kuwait

Please correct me if the IMDB info is inaccurate.

The UAE and KSA pushed back the movie's release date from an originally planned 20 July to 31 August, leading fans to question the reasons behind the delay. Although no official statements were made about the reasons for the postponement, parallels had been drawn to past instances where delayed releases were a precursor to bans.

• Thanks 1