The Wild Eric

Weekend Thread (8/11-13) | Demeter 750K Previews

24 minutes ago, keysersoze123 said:

I saw 13.8/7.8 at usual place B/O. It appears as if Friday increases were soft for some reason and we are seeing better than norm saturday increase. B - 35m+ and O ~ 19m. Not spectacular hold or anything(B had one in its 2nd weekend) but weekdays are strong its still going for great overall multiplier. I am hopeful that we will eliminate one meh movie from Top 10 all time unadjusted. Plus we need representation of Greta for sure. Even Bug will appreciate that. 

Really hope you are right about the Oppy numbers! Appreciate you sharing the data. 

5 minutes ago, MovieMan89 said:

Not really? Some Nolan stuff, Wolf of Wall Street, Django, Endgame… what other really notable examples in the 10s are there? This decade in 21-23 has had Eternals, No Time to Die, Dune, No Way Home, Elvis, The Batman, A2, Babylon, GotG3, Black Panther 2, Opp, DR1, Dominion was right on the cusp… that’s just the ones I can think of off the top of my head. 

Transformers 3 and 4, the Hobbits, The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo, Les Miserables, BVS, The Last Jedi, Blade Runner 2049, It Chapter Two, Ford v Ferrari, both other Tarantino films you didn't mention, and that's just those that made any money and not counting a whole other bunch of movies that just got in at, like, 148 minutes.

• Like 2

@CJohn @Krissykins all right after watching cobwebs, I decided to rent another movie under the recommended movies with cobwebs.

I got one called There's Something Wrong with the Children and it is freaky as hell. There's definitely something wrong with the children and anytime you have a movie with creepy kids it's definitely creepy. I recommend this one as well.

• Like 5

2 minutes ago, baumer said:

@CJohn @Krissykins all right after watching cobwebs, I decided to rent another movie under the recommended movies with cobwebs.

I got one called There's Something Wrong with the Children and it is freaky as hell. There's definitely something wrong with the children and anytime you have a movie with creepy kids it's definitely creepy. I recommend this one as well.

I have heard about this one. It is apparently passing in a horror festival in early September here.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Jake Gittes said:

Transformers 3 and 4, the Hobbits, The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo, Les Miserables, BVS, The Last Jedi, Blade Runner 2049, It Chapter Two, Ford v Ferrari, both other Tarantino films you didn't mention, and that's just those that made any money and not counting a whole other bunch of movies that just got in at, like, 148 minutes.

Ok, I did forget several. But you still only brought the list up to a few more than the 21-23 stretch. Doesn’t change the point. 

6 minutes ago, baumer said:

What if the plot twist is that there is actually in fact nothing wrong with the children O=

• Astonished 1

5 minutes ago, CJohn said:

I have heard about this one. It is apparently passing in a horror festival in early September here.

It's very mixed in terms of professional critics but if you like atmosphere suspense and creepiness I think you'll like it. Just like cobweb, it needed another five or six minutes at the end.

• Like 3

12 minutes ago, baumer said:

Pretty sure there's something wrong with every child when you really think about it.

• Haha 2

5 hours ago, M37 said:

To answer your question: because lamenting “bad holds” is required, and MI7’s turn as punching bag has become tiresome 

Last Summer, Super Pets dropped 52% in weekend 2, and still went on to make nearly 3x the OWeek. If Turtles followed suit, would be flirting with $150M domestic 

Exactly. I was intentionally lowballing the numbers here because even if it doesn't reach Super Pets' legs, it's still going for a solid DOM total. Hell, if you want to use a Wednesday opening, Smurfs 2 was another midday August opener, and using its legs post-weekend 2, Turtles gets to just 109M. And that movie lost 40% of its theaters on its third weekend. That's not gonna happen for Turtles and people would have likely still been chill with the worst case scenario here.

It really seems like people are desperate to whine and mope and complain. If the guy whose whole personality is whining about capitalism and nostalgic toy commercials is telling y'all you're being too negative, you know something is wrong. So to all of y'all, just stop. Please.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ListenHunnyUrOver said:

Movies nowadays in general are too long. Horror and comedy rarely needs more than 90 minutes. 

Yeah most movies nowadays feel bloated.

I remember the Apatow era of comedy is when I felt like this trend started. Every movie felt 20-30 minutes too long.

Its funny because I didn't feel the run time of dead reckoning or Oppenheimer and they're much longer films than Demeter.

It's frustrating for this one because I sound very negative on it, when the movie does have some good qualities, like some very striking visuals but the overall execution just isn't there and it's a case of massive missed opportunity for what felt like should have been a slam dunk.

• Like 1

Rewatched The Exorcist today with the recent passing of Friedkin. Still blown away by the pacing of this film, how it really takes its time.  It’s an hour in when things really go off the rails, and you feel that mood intensify as time goes on. Also incredibly stunning visuals. The head turn still gets me.

this gets said a lot but this was a movie that really didn’t need a franchise. I haven’t seen any of the follow ups but there’s genuinely just no recapturing that initial shock and awe.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ListenHunnyUrOver said:

Movies nowadays in general are too long. Horror and comedy rarely needs more than 90 minutes. 

I marathoned through all the Fast and Furious, Mission Impossible, and Indiana Jones movies this past summer, and it's been very fascinating to see how all the older movies function compared to the new ones. The older films have their problems, but they all got pretty solid pacing at around two hours. F&F movies were typically 100 minutes in fact. But minus Crystal Skull, which I attribute to it being Crystal Skull, the movies that were around 2 hours all run at a good time where nothing feels rushed, nothing feels padded, and you got what you wanted without too much of a fuss.

Then all the new franchise entries that came out this summer all feel like they force in 2-3 setpieces you could have easily cut and go on forever. Even the new M:I, which is good and I like, felt too damn long. When we got to the climax, I was thinking we had like 15 or 20 minutes left to go, but we still had like 30 minutes or something, and like...whyyyyyyyyyyyyyy?

• Like 3

7 hours ago, MovieMan89 said:

I still laugh when I think about how Universal really thought that Luke Evans Dracula movie and Tom Cruise Mummy were going to start an epic MCU-esque cinematic universe for them. 

I actually think the Dark Universe was a good idea. The problem was the execution of The Mummy (and some terrible casting choices…)

32 minutes ago, Eric the Turtle said:

I marathoned through all the Fast and Furious, Mission Impossible, and Indiana Jones movies this past summer, and it's been very fascinating to see how all the older movies function compared to the new ones. The older films have their problems, but they all got pretty solid pacing at around two hours. F&F movies were typically 100 minutes in fact. But minus Crystal Skull, which I attribute to it being Crystal Skull, the movies that were around 2 hours all run at a good time where nothing feels rushed, nothing feels padded, and you got what you wanted without too much of a fuss.

Then all the new franchise entries that came out this summer all feel like they force in 2-3 setpieces you could have easily cut and go on forever. Even the new M:I, which is good and I like, felt too damn long. When we got to the climax, I was thinking we had like 15 or 20 minutes left to go, but we still had like 30 minutes or something, and like...whyyyyyyyyyyyyyy?

Writers used to know how to write dialogue for actual human beings instead of a social media addict. 

Directors used to let the music/silence and scenery sink in first, instead of moving the movie along to get the plot moving. 

Youtube "Critics" like Cinemasins have also created a negative effect on movies.

Edited by The GOAT
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, The GOAT said:

Writers used to know how to write dialogue for actual human beings instead of a social media addict. 

Directors used to let the music/silence and scenery sink in first, instead of moving the movie along to get the plot moving. 

Youtube "Critics" like Cinemasins have also created a negative effect on movies.

Millennials can not write movies.     

• Like 2
  • Knock It Off 1

11 minutes ago, MightyDargon said:

Movies have had long runtimes since the early 00s or so. Whining about it now is whining 20 years too late.

Gone with the Wind has a running time of 3 hours and 58 minutes.

If you prefer something more recent, Titanic is 3 hours and 14 minutes. 

A couple of years prior to that, one of the greatest movies of all time, Heat, was released and it clocks in at 2 hours and 50 minutes. 

• Like 2