kayumanggi

Weekend Numbers (actuals) | Aug 18 - 20 | 25.0M BLUE BEETLE | 21.1M BARBIE

21 minutes ago, MovieMan89 said:

I don’t believe Superman has been a very appealing superhero for this entire century, so I’d argue Legacy needs to just throw the comics out the window and basically invent a new character that can resonate. 

Edit: lol at Listen saying the same thing right above me before I saw it 

There have been two movies this century, neither were good, and neither really drew much inspiration from the comics. 

There have been some good Superman comics this century (even the last 20 years of the previous one), including attempts to make the character more appealing. IMO, any new movie should draw inspiration from that. 

I saw Blue Beetle and I absolutely loved it!! It’s such a shame the DC brand is toxic to casual audiences because if it weren’t then this film would be making bank! 

Oh well, I’m going to cherish this one film I have about my favorite DC character because they actually did my boy justice! Hoping Gunn sticks to his word and we get more Jaime (and the Reyes family) in the DCU

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Bob Train said:

would not be surprised to see 40/110/290 type run for Aquabro.

That would have to be a new precedent I think, since that’s even worse than Alice to Alice 2s collapse. 

All I know is if it’s a bomb, then Birds of Prey to WW84 to The Suicide Squad to Black Adam to Shazam 2 to The Flash to Blue Beetle to Aquaman 2 will be an epic franchise implosion the likes of which we’ve never seen and will likely never see again in Hollywood

• Like 1
  • Astonished 1

The release date is gonna help Aquaman 2 alot like there's literally nothing else like it out at the same time. And who knows the test screenings that said this movie was bad could also be the same ones that made WB bullish on The Flash. 

It still makes no sense to me how successful the first one was so I ain't betting against the sequel necessarily.

1 hour ago, Darth Lehnsherr said:

The release date is gonna help Aquaman 2 alot like there's literally nothing else like it out at the same time. And who knows the test screenings that said this movie was bad could also be the same ones that made WB bullish on The Flash. 

It still makes no sense to me how successful the first one was so I ain't betting against the sequel necessarily.

I liked the movie and I love Jason Momoa but I still have no idea how it reached a billion.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, TalismanRing said:

Numbers has it at $129m so should be

Its made $94m in China before this w/e so at least 38% of it's O/S B.O. which brings down the overall profit some

Its a chinese co production. So they get 50% instead of usual 25%

Man Of Steel had everything going for it and it didn't even cross 700 mln. Superman Legacy has everything going against it, it's gonna have a very tough battle to have a chance at success, there's a big chance it'll kill DCU right away. Superman never had a real success since Donner days, everyone knows the character, but not many want to see him in a movie.

• Like 2
  • Astonished 1

49 minutes ago, eeetooki said:

I liked the movie and I love Jason Momoa but I still have no idea how it reached a billion.

It came out during one of the less competitive holiday seasons as a result of Star Wars opting for May that year, and its competition consisted of niche movies which posed no real threat to it. Like many other dumb fun movies back then it also came out during a time audiences were a lot more forgiving and streaming wasn't the behemoth it is now. Funnily enough its sequel is also the only blockbuster in a similarly sparse holiday slate, so it should be a decent indicator as to how well the first film would've done today.

6 hours ago, Dominic Draper said:

Superman Legacy under 600M WW will be my guess.

I would say even less than that (under $500m WW).

The DC brand is now at the bottom. To make a successful film, they need to regain the trust of the audience. Shazam !!, The Flash, Blue Beetle and Aquaman 2 (rumors about its quality are not promising) will not do that. So, Superman: Legacy will be the first DCU film after 8 box office flops/bombs in a row, most of which were poorly received by GA. No one will want to pay for another DCU movie, even if it's a Superman movie with great reviews. No trust = no $$$. Especially, not after the circumstances of Henry Cavill's departure from the role and the controversial decisions of Zaslav/Gunn/Safran (Keaton's removal, Batgirl's cancelation, reboot but not complete reboot).

I think the only DC movies in the next three years that will be a box office success are Joker 2 and The Batman Part Two. DCU has had bad PR from the start and nothing has changed so far (and I think won't change by the end of the next year).

• Like 1
  • Knock It Off 1

30 minutes ago, TomThomas said:

Man Of Steel had everything going for it and it didn't even cross 700 mln.

This was caused by huge competition in the summer of 2013. And remember, with today's ATP MoS would have around $390m domestic and +$800m ww = similiar level to The Batman's numbers (Matt Reeve's film also could have grossed much more if not the strong advertising HBO Max premiere 45 days after theatrical release date).