kayumanggi

Weekdays | Aug 21 - 24 | Thursday Numbers | 2.29M BARBIE | 1.35M BLUE BEETLE | 1.28M OPPENHEIMER

22 minutes ago, SpiderByte said:

I'll give you Blue Beetle, but Flash and even Barbie would be really, really early for a December release

We’ve had the Wonka trailer for several weeks now. The first Barbie teaser was released in December 2022. Aquaman 2 is late.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, LonePirate said:

You are absolutely correct on both points you make here. Bros was about gay men, starred openly gay men and was made by gay men for gay men. When you combine that with the highly polarizing (aka unlikeable to some/many) Eichner, the movie was always going struggle at the box office, no matter how funny it was - and I thought the movie was very funny.

Contrast that with the recent Amazon Prime movie Red, White and Royal Blue which was also about bi/gay men. However, it did not star openly gay men. The book upon which it was based was written by a straight woman (I believe) although I think the director is gay. Most importantly, the movie was made for straight women - the same audience who made the book a massive success and who are posting TikTok videos by the truckload where they are fangirling and swooning over the movie.

You don't need to be a studio executive to determine why Bros failed and RWRB is succeeding. How the representation is used is far more important than the representation itself. Blue Beetle is learning that painful lesson that representation will only take you so far.

RWRB > BROS 

The former is a simple love story (with a good premise) while the latter is, well I don’t know what they were going for there but it sure wasn’t positive representation. 

Anyways! Hoping Blue Beetle pulls through and avoids the title of lowest grossing DCEU film! Domestically at least, Shazam 2, TSS and WW84 are within sight. Worldwide will depend on China/Japan/Korea/Australia and holds in Mexico/Brazil. Fingers crossed! 

Edited by El Gato

24 minutes ago, eeetooki said:

Funny how Oppy is still always exactly half of Barbie.

Barbenheimer hype is still going strong. This phenomenon will attempt to be copied by Hollywood for years.

barbie-oppenhe

Edited by Mojoguy

Strays was actually decent. Surprisingly well-written messaging about toxic relationships, especially for a shock-value raunch com. Not amazing or anything I’ll remember in a few years’ time, but I enjoyed myself for what it’s worth.

• Like 3

12 minutes ago, harry713 said:

i’m really hoping they cross the 300m and 600m thresholds together, on the same day. 🙏🏻

I think Oppenheimer will do it earlier. Its greater than half of Barbie. Last weekend it had worse hold due to Imax loss but this weekend I expect both movies to have similar holds for sure. 

• Like 1