Borobudur

National Cinema Day Draw 8.5m admission | GT $17.4m | Barbie $15.1m | BB: $12.2m | Oppy: $8.2m | TMNT: $6.1m | Meg2: $4.8m

3 hours ago, MattW said:

I think doing half price would be a better balance for ncd, premium screens still get their due while regular screen matinees are mostly in the same $3-4 range. 

Ummm, in the US, half price would not be $3-4 on anything in the US.

Cheap Tuesday is $6/$5.50 for members in regular showings (as the best price running of the big 3, I think), and it's about 60-65% off ticket price.

3 hours ago, Mojoguy said:

GT should be fine after theatrical and streaming sales. They were really smart to keep the budget for so low.

Even if Barbie comes in over GT with actuals, they got the win this weekend with all Sun headlines saying GT BIGGER than Barbie this weekend while barely mentioning the 14 days of EA thing.

I dunno about that at all. Variety’s headline:

“Box Office: 'Gran Turismo' Narrowly Outraces 'Barbie' With Middling $17.3 Million”

THR, Deadline & Variety all mention the countless previews. 

1 hour ago, Hilts said:

You are realist

There’s a reason why I put “Expectations Manger” in my profile 🙃

1 hour ago, Hilts said:

Last year there was nothing new that weekend, just NWH re-release. Whilst GT and 2nd weekend BB are by no means big hitters, they are new, both in IMAX and $4 is a steal. Once they are sold-out, maybe that leads to spillover for everything else. Plus there is of course Barbenheimer. This year the product seems to have more breadth and more appealing for GA - total Friday gross is estimated at 2x last year (less GT previews). All this will only help, but I understand your points and there is a limit to walk-ups. It's Sunday too, not Saturday which will make a dent no matter what. 

My biggest concern is not lack of demand based on product, but a lack of supply. This year there is probably higher awareness, longer operating hours to accommodate, and (hopefully) better seat allocation (like for family movies), and I would buy the argument that this year is ahead in admits at 6pm … but a Sunday night in August, with so many schools already or going back in, will be a limiting factor that I just can’t see it staying ahead at final bell. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, M37 said:

There’s a reason why I put “Expectations Manger” in my profile 🙃

My biggest concern is not lack of demand based on product, but a lack of supply. This year there is probably higher awareness, longer operating hours to accommodate, and (hopefully) better seat allocation (like for family movies), and I would buy the argument that this year is ahead in admits at 6pm … but a Sunday night in August, with so many schools already or going back in, will be a limiting factor that I just can’t see it staying ahead at final bell. 

Just going by my local theaters, many of the earlier shows have sold out (Barbie, Blue Beetle, GT) as well as the afternoon shows,  but once you get to the later times (anything passed 8:30) is where I see a slow down. Still though, I’m guessing those will be filled in by college age individuals and young adults who work night shifts. 

I think this years NCD beats last years 

Saw a movie, got a small drink and popcorn for $9.98 (tax included). Had $10 in rewards so it was basically free for me. Thumbs up for Year 2 of National Cinema Day!

My local AMC has 18 screens. The only titles on the emptier side this afternoon are Golda, Back on the Strip and American Graffiti. Here, they probably could have swapped a couple of Gran Turismo screenings for more Blue Beetle.

Edited by BoxOfficeFangrl
  • Like 3

5 minutes ago, bastian said:

Am i the only one that think Oppenheimer and Barbie wouldn’t have blown up so much if it wasn’t for this whole Barbenheimer phenomenon ? 

Feel like everybody thinks that. Especially in regard to Oppenheimer.

• Like 3

22 minutes ago, bastian said:

Am i the only one that think Oppenheimer and Barbie wouldn’t have blown up so much if it wasn’t for this whole Barbenheimer phenomenon ? 

I feel this is mainly for Oppenheimer.

The promotion for Barbie seems to have an extremely big impact in the audience even without Oppenheimer involved.

Edited by Kon
  • Like 2
  • ...wtf 1

Saw the latest Transformers for NCD (in a sold out, albeit of about 50 seats, theater despite being available for free on a streaming service for about a month now) and the theater was slammed for pretty much almost every movie. Suspect this is officially going to become an annual tradition for the dog days of summer for now on.

2 hours ago, bastian said:

My take has been that Oppenheimer benefited more at the box office from the combined hype. And when you consider the nature of the entire film and it becoming Nolan's biggest non Batman film, it's a hard conclusion to escape.

But Barbie benefitted from the awards hype. Even with Greta and Baumbach's involvement, it's extremely rare for a summer popcorn film of this nature to generate awards hype in advance. And I think that very much had to do with Greta getting comparisons to Nolan as someone on a similar path that he carved out.

• Like 1

It was really fun watching the new Blue Beetle with a packed excited audience, but...

The 1st part of the movie is GREAT!  But the 2nd part, after a wonderful scene that sets up the end game 2nd half...just goes off the rails.  Such a disappointing conclusion, especially in light of the mid-credits scene, where they COULD have made a better, more plausible choice b/c they have set up that choice anyway.

So, an A for the beginning.  A D+ for the ending.  So, about a C+ movie.  I told the spouse I was happy I paid $4 - I joked earlier that it was the right price, and it really was the right price.

Spouse and all boys attending liked to loved it.  Girls less enthused (of which I am one).

Ah well, WB - maybe the next one will hit the homerun you need.  

Edited by TwoMisfits
  • Like 1

Talk to Me was better than I expected. I don't usually fall for the blind A24 cultist who overrate absolutely everything horror from them (cough X and Pearl cough). But this was solid, felt more like a Blumhouse Picture. A more polished Blumhouse Picture, like The Black Phone, but that's good.

Also liked that it was a metaphor for drug addiction. Even if it wore it's themes on it's sleeves it added an interesting element to it and gave it a sense of momentum as we follow a junkie succumb to their addiction.

Strangest thing for NCD - I got 10 minutes of previews and commercials for Blue Beetle's showing - that's it.  The new Hunger Games prequel, Trolls 3, Paw Patrol 2, and My Big Fat Greek Wedding 3.  For an opportunity to show off fall schedule, I was pretty surprised it was so lean.

4 hours ago, bastian said:

May be locally. But, for instance, Oppy and Barbie started separately in Italy: huge openings for both.

Edited by KeepItU25071906
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, KeepItU25071906 said:

May be locally. But, for instance, Oppy and Barbie started separately in Italy: huge openings for both.

But that is something called US influence, Barbieheimer got both movies bigger in USA while Italy has them bigger because it is big in US. 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Borobudur said:

But that is something called US influence, Barbieheimer got both movies bigger in USA while Italy has them bigger because it is big in US. 

I meant Barbie opened there month ago and Oppy just last Wednesdatly, with this time gap, and the whole idea of Barbienheimer to watch both movies back to back.

So, I think the Barbienheimer obviosly helped both pictures, but Barbie and Oppy would be successful anyway, just a little bit lesser, may be.

Again, all of that, just my humble opinion.

Edited by KeepItU25071906
  • Like 1