Borobudur

National Cinema Day Draw 8.5m admission | GT $17.4m | Barbie $15.1m | BB: $12.2m | Oppy: $8.2m | TMNT: $6.1m | Meg2: $4.8m

I honestly feel like $17m is a sold result for Gran Turismo, what I mean is how did Hollywood ever except this movie to open higher than that? film budgets are absolutely out of control and that's why everything is bombing. half these movie I can't even tell for the budget went. like this movie had a $100M budget??? who green lit this??

I definitely agree that Oppenheimer would have made far less money if it wasn't for the TikTok generation deciding to connect it to Barbie in the name of comedy. I'd say it wouldn't have made much more than Dunkirk in that scenario.

I also think Barbie would have been Detective Pikachu all over again and massively underperformed if the aforementioned TikTok crowd didn't prop it up like they did. I'd go so far to say that it might've made less than Oppenheimer.

It's honestly kind of scary how much power TikTok has now. Like countless emperors of old, they decide, with just their thumbs, who lives and who dies. At least as far as movies are concerned.

• Haha 2

2 hours ago, Kalo said:

I honestly feel like $17m is a sold result for Gran Turismo, what I mean is how did Hollywood ever except this movie to open higher than that? film budgets are absolutely out of control and that's why everything is bombing. half these movie I can't even tell for the budget went. like this movie had a $100M budget??? who green lit this??

Apparently it is 60M, not 100M.

@CJohn I see weekend results (8/24 to 8/27) here have yet to be released, but Gran Turismo wasn't doing too shabby a week ago, it's probably gonna finish somewhere between 80-100k tickets sold. For a movie that opened to under 30k, good legs.

I don't really know everything that opened this week, I believe Talk to Me did? That probably did okay.

4 hours ago, Borobudur said:

But that is something called US influence, Barbieheimer got both movies bigger in USA while Italy has them bigger because it is big in US. 

mhhh no our market it's not really influential by american box office news. We are not like Uk or australia where usually every big movie in america is always big there.

Opp made in 5 days 9M. Top Gun 2 total is 13.2M. Barbie is at 30.5M. Already more than 2 times Top Gun money.

Black Panther 1 did 8M total when in the Us you got news of breaking records for weeks. The renevant made 15M and the Shape of water 10M. 

For our culture most of the modern cgi blockbusters are not interesting for an adult audience.  I'm not saying it's wrong or right but i would find shocking if my 50years old uncle would say me "i went to see Captain Marvel or Transformers".

And if you miss that part of audience you can't make Avatar, Barbie, Bohemian Rhapsody, Joker, The renevant, Oppenheimer etc.. numbers here.

Edited by vale9001

1 hour ago, BadOlCatSylvester said:

I definitely agree that Oppenheimer would have made far less money if it wasn't for the TikTok generation deciding to connect it to Barbie in the name of comedy. I'd say it wouldn't have made much more than Dunkirk in that scenario.

I also think Barbie would have been Detective Pikachu all over again and massively underperformed if the aforementioned TikTok crowd didn't prop it up like they did. I'd go so far to say that it might've made less than Oppenheimer.

It's honestly kind of scary how much power TikTok has now. Like countless emperors of old, they decide, with just their thumbs, who lives and who dies. At least as far as movies are concerned.

Which next movie has TikTok decided is the next big hit?

16 hours ago, alfred8 said:

True. I am from Italy and literally every person I know is talking about going to see this movie. Dontt think it's gonna pass Barbie ($32M) but it' gonna come close ($25M could be a realistic target).

Barbie?

Maybe you mean Avatar 2?

16 minutes ago, vale9001 said:

mhhh no our market it's not really influential by american box office news. We are not like Uk or australia where usually every big movie in america is always big there.

Opp made in 5 days 9M. Top Gun 2 total is 13.2M. Barbie is at 30.5M. Already more than 2 times Top Gun money.

Black Panther 1 did 8M total when in the Us you got news of breaking records for weeks. The renevant made 15M and the Shape of water 10M. 

For our culture most of the modern cgi blockbusters are not interesting for an adult audience.  I'm not saying it's wrong or right but i would find shocking if my 50years old uncle would say me "i went to see Captain Marvel or Transformers".

And if you miss that part of audience you can't make Avatar, Barbie, Bohemian Rhapsody, Joker, The renevant, Oppenheimer etc.. numbers here.

I think Oppenheimer benefits from the Barbenheimer phenomenom being a thing in the rest of the world while not even having the seat competition it had elsewhere here

that said you're right that this film was always pretty appealing here but biggest nolan OW, and by A LOT (way above second place TDKR which only did 6.2M while oppy just had an 8.9!) is really quite something

I'd say in general Europe does not care much for superhero stuff and the likes, the continent is basically the worst performer for superhero films pretty regularly other than the UK, endgame not only wasn't all-time record material but pretty much didn't even get close to it basically anywhere

not getting on board with these new blockbusters that are so popular in asia and latam definitely played a part in the shrinking of western european markets, making them look honestly less interested in theaters than they really are, they can still show up when something comes along (see ava2 breaking the all-time record in germany for instance, a market where I think everyone had long accepted that record wouldn't be brought down)

Edited by JustLurking
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, setna said:

Barbie?

Maybe you mean Avatar 2?

Barbie grossed $32.6M so far in Italy.
Oppenheimer grossed $9.6M in 5 days.
I meant that Oppenheimer is doing great and that it could reach $25M (so not that far from Barbie final gross), great hype and the word of mouth is unbelievably good.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, TheDarkKnightOfSteel said:

Baring a (personal) surprise by The Marvels and considering that Oppenheimer will get there (right?) This maybe another year (not counting 2020, which is still the case I think) where a Marvel film does not end up in the top 3 yearly.  Hm. 

Domestic alone will get Oppenheimer past 800. Combined with OS holds should get it over GOTG3. China then should be enough for 900 (hopefully over Bohemian Rhapsody). I personally don't think The Marvels will drop as much as some others do, but even then I have trouble seeing it do 900 million. 

But I wouldn't put too much stock into "another year without a top 3 for Marvel". 2020 was...well, you know what it was. The Disney movies in 2021 were a mix of bad dates, unknown characters, bad movies, way too late for one of the characters, COVID still there etc. But you obviously have the NWH behemoth. Then last year the top 2 were gigantic, Avengers-sized movies. The only thing that you can reasonably think was disappointing was Strange finishing short of a billion given the opening and multiverse shenanigans. But still, WF probably did as well as it could have given the circumstances and overall they had a solid year. 

Top 3 or 5 by itself is meaningless without context and again this year you have the top 2 on Avengers-level figures and then a 3 hour R rated drama that blew all expectations out of the water. If The Marvels does 700+, combined with GOTG3, I think it shows there's still goodwill for Marvel, but they need less volume and better quality.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, BadOlCatSylvester said:

There's no scenario where Barbie was making less than Oppenheimer. The film's genius marketing deserves credit for the auto-generator This Barbie is... posters, the She's everything. He's just Ken tagline, Robbie's different Barbie looks on the red carpet premiere etc. They knew exactly how to keep the hype going.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, The GOAT said:

Which next movie has TikTok decided is the next big hit?

I think we might be giving tiktok a bit too much credit for Barbenheimer. The whole thing started on twitter on spring 2022 when the release dates were set and got a bit bigger online in general everytime there was a new bit about each movie for over a year until it snowballed after the marketing cycle really started this summer. That's why it isn't replicable with a Wonkapoleon or Saw Patrol or whatever. There was more than a year of people getting slowly convinced that it 'll be fun to watch both of these wildly different movies that come out on the same day.

Gentleminions in contrast was much more of tiktok thing. Most people that weren't on tiktok and under 20 had no idea why teens started showing up in theatres dressed in suits. Barbenheimer already had a full wikipedia page 2 weeks before the movies came out.

26 minutes ago, reddevil19 said:

Domestic alone will get Oppenheimer past 800. Combined with OS holds should get it over GOTG3. China then should be enough for 900 (hopefully over Bohemian Rhapsody). I personally don't think The Marvels will drop as much as some others do, but even then I have trouble seeing it do 900 million. 

But I wouldn't put too much stock into "another year without a top 3 for Marvel". 2020 was...well, you know what it was. The Disney movies in 2021 were a mix of bad dates, unknown characters, bad movies, way too late for one of the characters, COVID still there etc. But you obviously have the NWH behemoth. 

Yeah Deadpool 3 is still most likely to be next year's winner so I don't think Feige will be losing sleep over MCU not being in the Top 3 this year again.

In fact, D3, NWH and to a lesser extent MoM's successes show that people still turn up for the Phase 3 pull of character team-ups like in Civil War, Ragnarok and Homecoming. Phases 4 and 5 were an experiment in trying to replicate Black Panther and Captain Marvel's successes with standalone characters but Feige forgot both of those films were positioned perfectly (BP introduced in CW and leading into Infinity War, CM in between IW and Endgame). After Fantastic Four, I don't think we'll be getting many of these standalone character movies anymore.

• Like 1

Barbenheimer exists cause they are 2 opposite movies looking wise but from 2 directors movie nerds and critics respect. So the appeal was because people were really interested to both. They didn't fake It (as box office shows).

Barbenheimer existed because of the point 1 the same audience and critics want 2 movies they thought could have been original blockbusters to succeed. They want to push 2 movies from 2 respected directors to be big against all the rest of summer made of Just Mission impossible, Transformers, indiana Jones, fast and furious and all this stuff. 

This Is why saw vs snow Patrol Is totally senseless. No one wants to see these movie from the start.

Something could have worked in the same way in the past It's for example Marie Antoniette by Sofia Coppola released in the same day of Inglorious Bastards by Quentin Tarantino. With transformers 3, Thor 4 and Despicable me 5 released in the rest of the Summer. 

Edited by vale9001

8 hours ago, Kalo said:

I'm not sure. Previews + SUN added extra 6-6.3 + will lose imax so 2nd weekend drop will be brutal. If GT finished 65-70 dom, 80+ os, China 30+ then it's kinda decent I guess but this will struggle to make even 2/3.

6 minutes ago, Alexander said:

I'm not sure. Previews + SUN added extra 6-6.3 + will lose imax so 2nd weekend drop will be brutal. If GT finished 65-70 dom, 80+ os, China 30+ then it's kinda decent I guess but this will struggle to make even 2/3.

2nd weekend is Labor Day weekend so it should be good. It needs great WOM to do well though. At least they kept the budget low at $60M, unlike all the flops this summer.