Giorno

9/29-10/1 Weekend Thread

17 minutes ago, Bob Train said:

Why are people saying Saw X is underperforming? It has a chance of beating Spiral's whole run in just OW. And I'm sure it will do well in overseas markets like 7 and 8 did. Considering the $13m budget, and that their were OW predictions as low as $10m, I don't see how this isn't a solid success

Spiral released May 2021, in the transition period between during and post-pandemic box office. It’s not really a good baseline for comparison

I generally consider anything pre-Batman to carry some level of asterisk 

That would be a very good opening for Paw Patrol. Parents will still take small children to the movies if they are interested in it. Three movies opening to a combined 50M+ is not that bad for September. Saw X's opening is respectable for the 10th film in a 19 year old horror franchise and The Creator is honestly doing better than I expected. A.I. flopped back in 2001 and that was a late June opening directed by Spielberg near his peak popularity and starring well known actors. Not to mention A.I. is a masterpiece. 

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, TwoMisfits said:

From Deadline - holy crap that Thursday night gender split for Creator...

"In Comscore/Screen Engine PostTrak exits, Saw X gets a 78% grade, Creator is 78%, and Dumb Money is 87%. Creator leaned more guy Thursday night than Saw X, 72% to 61%."

78% post trak means b/b+ cinemascore?

The Creator opening to 15M is gonna make me upset if I keep thinking about it so I'm gonna turn the forum and the chat rooms off for the rest of the weekend I think. Something something y'all say you want original movies... (the general y'all, not directed towards anyone here)

• Like 2
  • Sad 3

OG Blade Runner flopped with Harrison Ford in his Hans Solo/Indiana Jones heyday. Why were there expectations for breakout success from generically titled original sci-fi starring Denzel's son whose acting talent is questioned on the regular?

It's nice to see a movie for younger kids at #1, there used to be a lot of movies for children 20-30 years ago and not everything was a classic for all ages. They might grow up liking to go to move theaters and that's good.

Edited by BoxOfficeFangrl

The Creator was never ever going to open well. It's numbers are not remotely shocking and I'm tired of people pretending that they are. There was never break out potential, only hopes and wishes. It is a dour Sci Fi movie with mixed reviews, no stars and no star director, since when have those type of projects done blockbuster numbers opening weekend or in total? Did you forget about how Final Fantasy The Spirits Within performed 22 years ago? I didn't. The only hope that The Creator has is word of mouth and don't hold your breath on that saving it. 

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, BoxOfficeFangrl said:

OG Blade Runner flopped with Harrison Ford in his Hans Solo/Indiana Jones heyday. Why were there expectations for breakout success from generically titled original sci-fi starring Denzel's son whose acting talent is questioned on the regular?

Sci-Fi has an incredible capacity of flopping as it comes out, even critically, and then slowly being reevaluated as the years go by.

I've seen a very recent example of it yesterday by watching the Honest Trailer that came out a couple of weeks ago for Speed Racer , and there was a lot of love for the Wachowski sisters' Sci-Fi stuff that flopped after Matrix. And yes, there was even something for Jupiter Ascending in there.

• Like 2