grim22

It’s Me. Hi. I’m The Eras Tour Weekend Thread | 39M Friday

I think Taylor is undeniably massive. I think that there's some evidence others have been just as massive this century, and in fact in the past decade someone has more album sales (Adele), top 10 singles (Drake), and concert tickets (Ed Sherhan, somehow). But in terms of combination of general fame combined with fervor? That's what makes an opening like this possible. Getting capable of the kind of fanbase needed for this opening. is as much marketing and branding towards a curated audience as it is being the most well-known artist in a survery of a local grocery store. A couple weeks ago I went to see Nas and Wu-Tang. By the objective measures, Nas is a bigger star - more hit singles, more album sales, more of everything on the charts and in terms of measurable success. But at this concert, the number of people wearing Wu merch outnumbered Nas 10 to 1. That was who the marketing had hit and brought out.

If you asked 100 people who they know, I bet 40 could name three Rihanna songs, and only 25 could name three Taylor songs. But only 5 of those 40 would go to a Rihanna concert, whereas 15 of those 25 would go to a Taylor concert. That's how an opening like this happens. Same for Beyonce vs, like, Adele. I guess my point isn't really whether Taylor is the biggest or not, but whether that's even asking the right thing.

Edited by Cmasterclay
  • Like 8

54 minutes ago, baumer said:

This is so awesome to read, It seriously makes me all warm and fuzzy knowing someone's watching all the Friday the 13ths. In my humble opinion I think the first five are all completely awesome yes even number five LOL and I happen to think that Friday the 13th the final chapter is actually the best horror movie ever made. Everything after 5 isn't that great especially 8 and Jason goes to space. But I do like Freddy versus Jason and the remake. Yesterday I also watched two of them and I think I'm going to watch another one today. So cheers to you brother.

It’s a must every Friday the 13th to watch at least one Jason film! It’s criminal we haven’t had a new one in almost 15 years. Urgh. 

My top 4 are:

Freddy Vs Jason

Part VI

Jason X

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

27 minutes ago, Taylor89 said:

Rihanna hasn't sold more. lol

She has actually, only Madonna has sold more than her. I like Taylor and she could very well beat both Madonna and Rihanna (and Mariah, who is above Taylor currently) but right now, as of 2023, she hasn’t. 

Taylor is definitely the biggest artist currently active however and she’s a lot bigger than the names mentioned before (Britney, Lady Gaga, Katy Perry, Bierber, Drake…etc). 

Edited by El Gato

2 minutes ago, El Gato said:

She has actually, only Madonna has sold more than her. I like Taylor and she could very well beat both Madonna and Rihanna (and Mariah, who is above Taylor currently) but right now, as of 2023, she hasn’t. 

Taylor is definitely the biggest artist currently active however and she’s a lot bigger than the names mentioned before (Britney, Lady Gaga, Katy Perry…etc). 

Taylor is ahead of everyone under 50.

https://chartmasters.org/best-selling-artists-of-all-time/?slk=hm

No 21st century artist has sold more than Taylor and no artist has sustained their career like this. 

Yes, Adele had a bigger peak but she couldn't manage or build up on it. Drake can't tour like Taylor and the quality of his albums is also going down. Rihanna has more hits but she couldn't sell albums like Taylor.

Taylor has been dominating in all fields, whether it is acclaim or sales or tour, and on top of that has a massive fanbase. 

1 hour ago, baumer said:

This is so awesome to read, It seriously makes me all warm and fuzzy knowing someone's watching all the Friday the 13ths. In my humble opinion I think the first five are all completely awesome yes even number five LOL and I happen to think that Friday the 13th the final chapter is actually the best horror movie ever made. Everything after 5 isn't that great especially 8 and Jason goes to space. But I do like Freddy versus Jason and the remake. Yesterday I also watched two of them and I think I'm going to watch another one today. So cheers to you brother.

Sooooooo. Lets do the list thing 😂

1) Freddy v Jason( love that campy movie)

2) Part IV( Corey F rules)

3) Part VII( I don`t know why😑)

4) Part I

5) Part III

6) Part VI

7) Part VIII

8’) Part II

9) 2009

10) Part V

11) Jason X

12) Jason goes to hell

I really hope they get their acts together and make some new ones

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Madhuvan said:

No 21st century artist has sold more than Taylor and no artist has sustained their career like this. 

Yes, Adele had a bigger peak but she couldn't manage or build up on it. 

Well, how exactly do you top 21 commercially? Not only did she sell unheard of amounts of physical copies, she did that at the peak of download sales, leading the industry there as well. That album remains to be 21st century’s biggest anomaly, so 25‘s decline was only natural, and still quiet soft.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Giesi said:

Well, how exactly do you top 21 commercially? Not only did she sell unheard of amounts of physical copies, she did that at the peak of download sales, leading the industry there as well. That album remains to be 21st century’s biggest anomaly, so 25‘s decline was only natural, and still quiet soft.

25 is maybe what they're referring to her peak commercially (even though 21 in the long run sold more), 3.36M first week, Hello broke the youtube record for fastest to a billion and had nutty sales etc. 30, while still doing crazy numbers, doesn't hold a candle to that in the slightest and is not even in the top 15 globally for the decade under people like the Kid Laroi and SZA (who's album released just 10 months ago) while 21 and 25 are both in the top 3 this century.

3 hours ago, Arlborn said:

I think this whole debate stems from the fact that while Taylor has always been famous worldwide, her music and vibe has always been incredibly American. Her country roots just made her been seen as something very American by the rest of the world, so while she has been huge in America for the longest time, she hasn't been actually as big(while still being big) in the rest of the globe.

She's only truly gone global recently.

Maybe in other areas its different but this is definitely not the case at all atleast for Asia, she's by FAR the biggest western artist in SEA and China + has the biggest fanbase for a western artist in India. She's so big in China that she's the only western artist China in the top 10 (#3) and the only western artist on any lists at all.

Edited by Bobzaruni

10 minutes ago, Eric Feels 22 said:

@Cap Remember when I was dunking on Swifties and all the weirdos singing and dancing during the movie?

I danced during two of the songs. Forgive me father, for I have sinned.

This is why we don’t make fun of the weirdos. 

We all are weirdos. 

• Like 1
  • Heart 1

When you factor in album sales, song chart success, concert sales and overall pop culture zeitgeist, I don’t see how anyone this century is anywhere near Taylor at this point. At points Adele has been bigger in the album sales front, Rihanna bigger in the singles success front, Gaga/Britney/Beyoncé/Eminem/maybe Drake and Bieber just as big on the pop culture zeitgeist front etc… but no one has commanded all those metrics as much like Taylor since at least MJ. And no one has maintained huge success in all those metrics for such an extended time frame since… never actually. 

1 minute ago, Eric Feels 22 said:

Shake It Off and Bad Blood. 1989's her best album, and I realized to myself, "Can't beat them? Join them!"

My audience went nuts for:

- Love Story

- You Belong With Me

- Shake It Off

- We are Never Ever Getting Back Together

Just now, Cap said:

My audience went nuts for:

- Love Story

- You Belong With Me

- Shake It Off

- We are Never Ever Getting Back Together

My crowd went nuts for basically all of it? In the front of the IMAX auditorium, all the 7-12 year olds in the theater all crowded around that area, making their own mosh pit and losing their mind throughout almost the entirety of the show. It was the most adorable thing in existence.

Then there were the people in the walkway when you're getting into the IMAX theater, all 20somethings. That wasn't as adorable.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

5 hours ago, Wandavisionlover0924 said:

Bffr. The Beatles, Madonna, Britney Spears were much bigger. Even recently Rihanna and Adele have a much wider reach than taylor. They simply don't have as huge or dedicated fanbase as Swift. Especially Rihanna who is very dependent on the casual listeners compared to other listeners. 

I personally believe there isn't any popstar in the last 15 years that peaked as high as Justin Bieber or even Lady Gaga. People often forget how easy it is now  especially in western countries to ignore artists you don't care about. With the rise of streaming and the fall of radio if you didn't want to hear its easy that wasn't the case when radio dominated 

Edit: Y'all are definitely affected by recency bias. 

Taylor has already eclipsed Britney's, Rihanna's, and Adele's career in equivalent album sales.