grim22

It’s Me. Hi. I’m The Eras Tour Weekend Thread | 39M Friday

3 minutes ago, Madhuvan said:

Can't say about box office but her discography got major boost once again. So this overall is major success.

She also just made an appearance on SNL to introduce Ice Spice, and Travis Kelce also made a quick cameo in a skit. Social media is currently eating it up. It’s truly her month, isn’t it 😅

I knew it'd be frontloaded as all hell from the start. There's nothing for the casuals to enjoy in these concert films, and that audience has been mostly gone for years. These are for the diehards and no one else, hence the explosive early presales and the borderline anemic walkups.

Still, even with that caveat, it'll still likely be the biggest opening of this quarter unless word of mouth on Freddy's is outstanding. That's a testament to how big Tay-Tay's fanbase is, and a damning indication of just how unappealing the rest of the fall slate looks. I have a feeling she'll have prevented at least some layoffs by the time all is said and done.

In some other thoughts, damn, the new Marty movie is next week! Time passes by so quickly now. I feel old. Saw X is also launching in a lot of international markets next weekend including mine, so it should be a good weekend at least.

• Like 1

OK, so box office sources got excited, estimated that Taylor Swift: Eras Tour was going to open to $100M+, and all the while said in the same breath “We don’t know what we’re talking about. This one is hard to guess. It’s a unicorn.” Well, you were close, and that doesn’t mean that this concert pic’s opening is an upset with what’s looking like a $93.3M start. That’s the second-best domestic opening at the October box office after The Joker‘s $96.2M. What studio doesn’t want that?

For a film that cost between $10M-$20M with a thrifty marketing budget, that’s nothing to be upset about. Saturday is looking like $32.3M, -17% from Friday’s $39M haul (which includes $2.8M Thursday previews).

Ok now a Deadline article is publishing that TET will gross $32.3M on Saturday. They also believe it's gonna have a $93M+ OW, but would this be a good estimate? (I know they get things wildly wrong too lol)

Edited by tdangie
  • Like 1

Eras will have the standard non summer 33% drop on Sun from Sat. All the after 6PM showings won't be that great being a 3 hour film. Could be around $94M OW.

It just needed some more juice to beat Joker. Don't know what other gimmicks Tay could have done for that push. 

11 minutes ago, MovieMan89 said:

With a sub 100 OW I think Wonka as the top Q4 grosser DOM is definitely happening. This was arguably its biggest threat (unless Wish pulls an Encanto on streaming in the theater or something). 

I don't know, I feel like that one could be the second coming of Mary Poppins Returns and not do all that well. Do kids today care all that much about Willy Wonka?

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, BadOlCatSylvester said:

I don't know, I feel like that one could be the second coming of Mary Poppins Returns and not do all that well. Do kids today care all that much about Willy Wonka?

Poppins Returns had very limited appeal. Males had zero interest in it and all the singing was very bad.

Wonka has a better shot with Timmy rising star power, and the incredible lack of family options in December. It's just this and Aquaman for the whole month of Dec.

1 hour ago, Mojoguy said:

Eras will have the standard non summer 33% drop on Sun from Sat. All the after 6PM showings won't be that great being a 3 hour film. Could be around $94M OW.

It just needed some more juice to beat Joker. Don't know what other gimmicks Tay could have done for that push. 

She's just seen with Travis Kelce 

2 hours ago, BadOlCatSylvester said:

In some other thoughts, damn, the new Marty movie is next week! Time passes by so quickly now. I feel old. Saw X is also launching in a lot of international markets next weekend including mine, so it should be a good weekend at least.

Flowermoon is my first Marty's movie in a theater since Hugo! I wasn't allowed to watch Shutter Island due to its age rating, while neither Wolf and Silence went well with the censorship board. And Irishman was a streaming release. I am excited for the cinema!  The real one.

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, titanic2187 said:

Flowermoon is my first Marty's movie in a theater since Hugo! I wasn't allowed to watch Shutter Island due to its age rating, while neither Wolf and Silence went well with the censorship board. And Irishman was a streaming release. I am excited for the cinema!  The real one.

It'll be the first time I'll ever get to see a Marty movie on the big screen. Hopefully it'll play in my province. Unfortunately a lot of prestige movies never play here in Sakarya as we're not among the big cities of Turkey like Istanbul or Izmir. Just this weekend Dumb Money was released, and I wanted to see it, but it's only in 25 locations across the whole country, and as usual none of those are in my area. Thankfully our local mall theater has a standee for Flower Moon up, so at least they'll most likely play it. I'm hoping for the best!

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

I’m not a Taylor Swift fan (I don’t mind her, but never interested enough to buy anything or go and see her), but my parents loved the album Red. And it’s because of my niece, who has loved Taylor since she was old enough to hear 😂

I think Taylor became as big as she is right now with the Taylor’s Versions story, she seemed like the underdog fighting again her crappy male management. Also, her surprise album drops. That’s when it all seemed to go into the stratosphere. 

Since this is the Eras Tour Movie weekend, here is my ranking for Taylor Swift albums, coming from a big fan: 

1. Folklore

2. Lover

3. Speak Now

4. Midnights

5. Evermore

6. Reputation

7. 1989

8. Red

9. Fearless

10. Taylor Swift (Debut)

Debut, Fearless, Red and 1989 have some of the best Taylor Swift songs but a lot of skips too. Lover, Midnights, Reputation or Evermore are more consistent IMO. Folklore is just a masterpiece and when I truly started to become a huge fan of hers. 

• Like 3