XXR & Friends

The Marvel / MCU Thread || From Blade to Secret Wars, All Things Marvel!

gitesh just said marvels wont reach 100 million, might not be long before trades report that

wonder if marvel will feel obliged to make some sort of statement or at least announce something in response 

Edited by interiorgatordecorator

Just now, interiorgatordecorator said:

erc just said marvels wont reach 100 million, wonder how long it'll be before trades report that

wonder if marvel will feel obliged to make some sort of statement or at least announce something in response 

I bet that Pedro Pascal Reed Richards tidbit was fed to the trades by Marvel as damage control. I imagine the rest of the Four not being finalized prevented them from making a formal announcement.

1 hour ago, Zakiyyah6 said:

I don't get why they had to make Wakanda Forever when they did as well. What was the rush outside of quick profits for the studio? They could have waited and mourned and then decided whether it was smart to kill off the most important black character in the MCU. I still don't agree with the decision. Chadwick death was a horrible tragedy, I even cried but T'Challa is bigger than any actor. All of these characters are.

I hate when people say retire characters that have existed for decades because an actor died. I remember people saying that the Joker should be retired from live action movies after Heath Ledger died. The Joker had been around for like 65-70 or so years when Ledger died and his death had nothing to do with the role and yet the character should cease to exist, why? Anyway, why was Thunderbolt Ross recast? Did William Hurt's death mean nothing? Marvel are really inconsistent on who they recast. 

Totally.

The interconnected nature of the MCU caused them not to delay. The sequel to one of their most successful and acclaimed movies shouldn’t have had its plot include a new unrelated character to set up the character for their Disney plus show. One of the reasons the 1st movie was so successful was that it was largely standalone. 
Another reason is that there were several supporting characters that people really liked from the 1st movie. It was possible to make a second movie with them. But that movie is still referencing the main character. It’s a tribute to him and still relying on him and the 1st movie. You have a problem if he’s completely absent in the next movie. He’s the anchor and draw at the end of the day.

Edited by Reed121

they are gonna announce F4 by years end id reckon.maybe even before thanksgiving. Do they have another big investor meeting in december  that they could announce a newly updated slate?Thats where they had the blowout reveal last time right? More info on king dynasty etc, Titled to Avengers v xmen or something like that. Maybe some original avengers coming back too.

11 minutes ago, Reed121 said:

Totally.

The interconnected nature of the MCU caused them not to delay. The sequel to one of their most successful and acclaimed movies shouldn’t have had its plot include a new unrelated character to set up the character for their Disney plus show. One of the reasons the 1st movie was so successful was that it was largely standalone. 
Another reason is that there were several supporting characters that people really liked from the 1st movie. It was possible to make a second movie with them. But that movie is still referencing the main character. It’s a tribute to him and still relying on him and the 1st movie. You have a problem if he’s completely absent in the next movie. He’s the anchor and draw at the end of the day.

And now they're holding onto the Ironheart show until September 2025 (filming wrapped November 2022). So it was completely pointless.

• Like 3
  • ...wtf 1

26 minutes ago, DInky said:

And now they're holding onto the Ironheart show until September 2025 (filming wrapped November 2022). So it was completely pointless.

How? They aren't cancelling the show, it's just been delayed like literally everything else.

It's amazing how everyone's done a 180 from "Marvel needs to delay everything" and then immediately complain about how everything has been delayed

1 hour ago, SpiderByte said:

How? They aren't cancelling the show, it's just been delayed like literally everything else.

It's amazing how everyone's done a 180 from "Marvel needs to delay everything" and then immediately complain about how everything has been delayed

No one cares about that show, they are going to cancel it and bring back the real Iron Man. 

I think the Black Panther/Wakanda corner is just as separate as Deadpool 3 and the Spider-Man corner tbh. Just look at the audience demos for these films, especially Wakanda Forever. They are bringing in lots of people who don't watch MCU in general. It's actually why I have confidence in a Shuri-led BP3 and in expanding Shuri and Namor's influence in the upcoming Avengers/cross-over projects. Sure, last November compared to this one is very different for Marvel, but people still showed up big time to see the "supporting cast" of the first film mourning. There's a kind of cultural relevance to Wakanda and its people that sure was build on the relevance of the overall MCU but I feel has gone way beyond that - at least with American audiences.

39 minutes ago, Belakor said:

No one cares about that show, they are going to cancel it and bring back the real Iron Man. 

They aren't cancelling the show. And they aren't going to reboot the MCU. They're just going to space things out and use stuff like Spotlight to help keep things from being bogged down by continuity 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

47 minutes ago, toutvabien said:

I think the Black Panther/Wakanda corner is just as separate as Deadpool 3 and the Spider-Man corner tbh. Just look at the audience demos for these films, especially Wakanda Forever. They are bringing in lots of people who don't watch MCU in general. It's actually why I have confidence in a Shuri-led BP3 and in expanding Shuri and Namor's influence in the upcoming Avengers/cross-over projects. Sure, last November compared to this one is very different for Marvel, but people still showed up big time to see the "supporting cast" of the first film mourning. There's a kind of cultural relevance to Wakanda and its people that sure was build on the relevance of the overall MCU but I feel has gone way beyond that - at least with American audiences.

Well I believe a Black Panther 3 with Shuri as Black Panther would suffer a big drop especially overseas.  Wakanda Forever made less overseas than Thor Love and Thunder when Thor had a much worse reception. 

People showed up to Wakanda Forever because it was the sequel to Black Panther and was sold as a tribute to Chadwick. A lot of people didn’t even know who would be Black Panther in the movie so there was curiosity with that.
After the performance of The Marvels I believe there’s little chance of Shuri leading the next movie. The son somehow leading it also poses a risk. 

Edited by Reed121

MCU officially ended with Endgame.

Everything else could be or should be considered a "what if scenario", imo.

Spider Man No Way Home basically had nostalgia to boost its performance. Most of general audiences were excited to see Andrew Garfield and Tobey Maguire back, characters from Sony movies.

Guardians of the Galaxy 3 was basically the end for the characters that were introduced in GOTG 1. It's almost its own thing, split from MCU. 

Wakanda Forever had people curious about who would be the new Black Panther. 

I really don't care about anything else. I'm somehow more curious to watch freaking Madame Web, Kraven and even Venom 3, rather than anything MCU related. 

• Like 2
  • ...wtf 1
  • Disbelief 1
  • Knock It Off 1

22 minutes ago, Blaze Heatnix said:

MCU officially ended with Endgame.

Everything else could be or should be considered a "what if scenario", imo.

I think Doctor Strange is one that do not necessarily fit the narrative, it had a 187 millions OW, multiverse in the name, post Endgame TV show angle I think with Scarlett Witch and what not.

Probably boosted by how little competition there was and some movie are back energy after Spider-Man, but that classic MCU-connected affair doing almost 1 billion in 2022.

Would strange,-Thor, ant-man were close to Guardian 3 reception and maybe the whole current conversation is different.

5 hours ago, Reed121 said:

Totally.

I HATED the Ironheart plot in Wakanda Forever b/c it did seem so much like "yep, let's shove it in to our most popular movie series so we can hype a D+ show"...

I have said that I LOVED all of Wakanda in that movie, but the rest - Namor and NYC could just go.

Yeah, I didn't like Namor's introduction, either...but he wasn't AS "product placement" as Ironheart was...

PS - I really like Shuri as Black Panther (and I liked the Wakanda plot to get there), and the audience probably would, too, in the next Avengers movie if she was joining the OG team of The Hulk, Thor, and Hawkeye with new adds Spiderman and Strange/Wong/Shang Chi (yep, I cast my 6/7, depending which sorcerer(s) you want) - she fills the Iron Man role b/c she's as much a tech genius with access to anything she wants as he was.  And she and Spiderman would work well as the youngsters on the team.  But she's not joining that team.  B/c we still have no idea what that team is.  

Edited by TwoMisfits

4 hours ago, SpiderByte said:

What? Literally no one ask them to delay stuff. The critic was to slow down and not putting out too much. However delaying the millions of projects is not slowing down it’s just delaying the inevitable. That’s like putting the trash under the bed and claim you cleaned your room.

why are people acting as if them delaying the slate is them slowing down? Those are still produced, a real slow down would be an actual cap on productions per year.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Manny G said:

What? Literally no one ask them to delay stuff.

Lol absolutely not true, there was absolutely a thing of "Marvel needs to just shut everything down for a year" (after they shut down for two years from COVID, and even during the six months they shut down for the strike)

4 hours ago, SpiderByte said:

Lol absolutely not true, there was absolutely a thing of "Marvel needs to just shut everything down for a year" (after they shut down for two years from COVID, and even during the six months they shut down for the strike)

Are you not getting that “shutting down” for a strike or Covid isn’t actually shutting down they still have those many underwhelming projects in the pipeline waiting to release. Slowing down pace meant actual slow down in the development process with LESS actually being greenlit. Saying that you will release the next 10 projects over 5 years vs 2 years isn’t slowing down if  anything its just making things worse, because the only thing you’re slowing down is the overall story you’re telling thus making fans even more angry. Like people are complaining that Multiverse saga is boring and uninteresting instead of wrapping up lets give them a year long narrative break then continue again. That’ rubbish.

• Like 1