XXR vs XXR

The Marvel / MCU Thread || From Blade to Secret Wars, All Things Marvel!

20 minutes ago, Sckathian said:

Its basically kill the bloat. I just hope Shang Chi doesnt suffer the COVID curse. It actually did OK.

Marvel will have to control budgets. I could see Avengers move out a bit until they build up again or a mini Avengers before a two parter.

People actually liked the Shang Chi movie. I see growth potential in that franchise as long as they handle the sequel right and don't do something dumb like team him up with two Disney Plus streaming characters. But Marvel will probably be leery now. It's a bummer.

The universe element feels very messy right now so yes, they do need to do a Civil War style team up at least. 

1 minute ago, Zakiyyah6 said:

People actually liked the Shang Chi movie. I see growth potential in that franchise as long as they handle the sequel right and don't do something dumb like team him up with two Disney Plus streaming characters. But Marvel will probably be leery now. It's a bummer.

The universe element feels very messy right now so yes, they do need to do a Civil War style team up at least. 

Feel like Masters of Evil was the best opportunity for it. Bunch of villains trying to fill up that power vacuum and you can heroes team up to stop them.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Zakiyyah6 said:

•  

I think people forget how Shang Chi got poor timing. Here's the topline NRG "comfortable returning to theaters number for various blockbusters

• Black Widow -  81% (then pandemic high)
  • The Suicide Squad - mid/high 60s ("same as mid may")
  • Shang-Chi - 66-68%
  • Eternals - something like 73% (Bond OW) or  76%(average of October/November)
  • Spider-Man No Way Home - 74%
  • The Batman - 80%
  • Thor 4 - June 2022 - 88%

16 minutes ago, PlatnumRoyce said:
  •  

I think people forget how Shang Chi got poor timing. Here's the topline NRG "comfortable returning to theaters number for various blockbusters

• Black Widow -  81% (then pandemic high)
  • The Suicide Squad - mid/high 60s ("same as mid may")
  • Shang-Chi - 66-68%
  • Eternals - something like 73% (Bond OW) or  76%(average of October/November)
  • Spider-Man No Way Home - 74%
  • The Batman - 80%
  • Thor 4 - June 2022 - 88%

COVID contributed to killing my Dad less than two years ago, believe me I don't forget anything involving COVID. It definitely hurt Shang-Chi at the box office.

• Sad 8

28 minutes ago, Zakiyyah6 said:

COVID contributed to killing my Dad less than two years ago, believe me I don't forget anything involving COVID. It definitely hurt Shang-Chi at the box office.

I hear this, watching Shang-Chi with the wife was the last thing we did before covid turned my world upside down. Killed my dad and nearly my mom before it ran it's course. So sorry you have the same outcome.

• Sad 3

New Marvel banner called Marvel Spotlight.

“Marvel Spotlight gives us a platform to bring more grounded, character-driven stories to the screen, and in the case of Echo, focusing on street-level stakes over larger MCU continuity. Just like comics fans didn’t need to read Avengers or Fantastic Four to enjoy a Ghost Rider Spotlight comic, our audience doesn’t need to have seen other Marvel series to understand what’s happening in Maya’s story.”

Edited by SpiderByte
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, SpiderByte said:

“Marvel Spotlight gives us a platform to bring more grounded, character-driven stories to the screen, and in the case of Echo, focusing on street-level stakes over larger MCU continuity. Just like comics fans didn’t need to read Avengers or Fantastic Four to enjoy a Ghost Rider Spotlight comic, our audience doesn’t need to have seen other Marvel series to understand what’s happening in Maya’s story.”

That's interesting 

8 hours ago, SpiderByte said:

Interesting that now they're trying to move away from (at least some) TV shows having to be 100% connected to the MCU continuity.

What's interesting about it is that back when their shows weren't all that connected to the MCU continuity (think Agents of SHIELD, but also Daredevil, Jessica Jones, etc) a lot of people were complaining about it and then it seemed that they listened and decided to make the new (Disney+) TV shows way more connected to the MCU. Then people started to complain that it was too much to follow and now here we are?

Life is a cycle I guess

6 hours ago, cooldude97 said:

you know i think people (and me included) would be more hyped for  Thunderbolts if it had like a spider-man villain on the team like the Vulture (thanks sony for fucking that up with Morbius of all fucking things)

I'd be hyped for Thunderbolts if it had some Thunderbolts characters. I find very funny and tragic that despite the push for female characters Marvel opted to not put the Songbird/Moonstone duo in the movie since I legit think they have potential to be the breakout characters of the team, instead we get not only one but two forgettable gender swapped villains.

1 hour ago, Masketta Man said:

I'd be hyped for Thunderbolts if it had some Thunderbolts characters. I find very funny and tragic that despite the push for female characters Marvel opted to not put the Songbird/Moonstone duo in the movie since I legit think they have potential to be the breakout characters of the team, instead we get not only one but two forgettable gender swapped villains.

Except Yelena and Red Guardian everyone on the team has been a Thunderbolt at various points. Even with Yelena it's just literally only a different Black Widow I think even

34 minutes ago, SpiderByte said:

Except Yelena and Red Guardian everyone on the team has been a Thunderbolt at various points. Even with Yelena it's just literally only a different Black Widow I think even

Val and Steven Yeung character weren't Thunderbolts also, that makes it half of the main cast that never been members of the team, including the lead of the movie where her only actual appearance in that series was an one page cameo in a life support tube. It's ridiculous when even the Eternals got sort of an accurate formation for their movie and Thunderbolts that rank far higher in popularity than them got this bad frankenstein of some of the worst received projects of MCU. If they wanted to mix and match members at least they could have brought some heavy hitters like Deadpool, Venom, Green Goblin and Bullseye.

Marvel is basically trying to make Suicide Squad but do it right. All the characters have already been introduced in other movies and they can get right to the chase. But I also get fans of the original comics (I'm among them) being upset that it's a Thunderbolts movie in name only.

in case a soft reboot is ultimately needed, how much of Deadpool 3 is already done?

wonder if they could somehow use it to kill some plots that arent going anywhere financially (maybe even kill khan if needed)

14 minutes ago, Bob Train said:

Venom 3 will make more DOM than Cap 4 + Thunderbolts combined. 

Tbh, I got Venom 3 and Cap 4 in the same 175-225m range. Unlike The Marvels, unless a similar first trailer response, there’s no evidence to believe FalCap has as much vitriol and you don’t need the show for the audiences because it was established in Endgame, Sam was Cap. I also think in most cases the Hulk stuff should be a saving grace even if it’s just a Red Hulk which would be more interesting than Hiddelston’s wife Kree and there’s some potential at least for kids about a black Cap. Think OS it’s kind of fucked due to racism, something like 150/300 on the low end and 225/500m range on the high end. Venom 3 unless they bring in Spider-Man, think will do about the same as usual, maybe a slight fall with audience fatigue.

Thunderbolts is dying though, thinking about the same as Marvels unless really good and even then no more than Eternals/Shang-Chi numbers. Suicide Squad beat it to the punch twice, there’s no figures apart from Sentry with splashy powers apart from Ghost and maybe Debiri if she plays Songbird, and even then I think the audience are getting tired of an Evil Superman shtick. Think it’s infeasible for it to be a Plus project due to contracts in place though.

Edited by YM!

2 hours ago, Arlborn said:

Interesting that now they're trying to move away from (at least some) TV shows having to be 100% connected to the MCU continuity.

What's interesting about it is that back when their shows weren't all that connected to the MCU continuity (think Agents of SHIELD, but also Daredevil, Jessica Jones, etc) a lot of people were complaining about it and then it seemed that they listened and decided to make the new (Disney+) TV shows way more connected to the MCU. Then people started to complain that it was too much to follow and now here we are?

Life is a cycle I guess

My main issues with the Disney Plus series concern poor directing, writing, editing and pacing. I do acknowledge that I never wanted homework before watching MCU movies and I especially don't want that homework when the shows suck. I was always leery of oversaturation when Marvel announced the Disney Plus shows and 4 movies a year plan.