XXR vs XXR

The Marvel / MCU Thread || From Blade to Secret Wars, All Things Marvel!

30 minutes ago, DInky said:

Marvel is basically trying to make Suicide Squad but do it right. All the characters have already been introduced in other movies and they can get right to the chase. But I also get fans of the original comics (I'm among them) being upset that it's a Thunderbolts movie in name only.

At the same time using all those already introduced characters might impact the potential gross of the movie. If people are already complaining about "having" to watch two D+ series in Marvels, just imagine the laundry list you have to see to know every character and the plot hooks of the Thunderbolts movie.

22 minutes ago, SpiderByte said:

The releases these characters are absolutely not the worst reviewed of the MCU by a mile.

Received, not reviewed. Sorry, but Black Widow, Falcon and the Winter Soldier and Ant-Man and Wasp aren't exactly the most well regarded MCU content among the general audience. Hell, Taskmaster was considered to be THE worst villain the MCU had before stinkers like the Flagsmashers and the Clan Destine appeared.

28 minutes ago, Bob Train said:

Venom 3 will make more DOM than Cap 4 + Thunderbolts combined. 

Doubt it, but not impossible.

Venom did $200M twice during peak Superhero hype with really bad movies.

The third will come in well under $200M. Cap 4 will at least do $100M+ domestic (I think).

The only variables is whether or not Spider-Man is in it, it’s finally actually good, and whether Thunderbolts bombs or all time bombs.

10 minutes ago, XXR's Eras Tour said:

What's all this about?

I read it as "we're committing to making cheap (i.e. normally priced) TV that's not going to have an aim at crossing over into big MCU events."

So basically, a recreation of Netflix's shows after a lot of massively expensive failures like Secret Invasion.

Edited by PlatnumRoyce
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, Bob Train said:

Venom 3 will make more DOM than Cap 4 + Thunderbolts combined. 

Honestly, if I were Sony I'd try to take back Spider-Man again. I actually think they'd get cheered on and succeed this time, as Marvel's standing in genre culture has weakened drastically since Sony's first stunt back in 2019. Even a "bootleg" fourth Tom Holland movie would probably make more money than most of the forthcoming proper Marvel fare.

• Haha 2
  • Knock It Off 1

32 minutes ago, PlatnumRoyce said:

I read it as "we're committing to making cheap (i.e. normally priced) TV that's not going to have an aim at crossing over into big MCU events."

So basically, a recreation of Netflix's shows after a lot of massively expensive failures like Secret Invasion.

I guess the stories on the future movies will be pretty independent from the shows.

That way the TV show would be optional and avoid overloading with series.

2 minutes ago, Agafin said:

It's been years since I last watched anything MCU related. Have they really gotten so violent these days? This seems like it'd be rated R as a movie.

This is the first MCU thing that's TV-MA, which is the TV equivalent of rated R. 

• Like 1

Just now, Agafin said:

It's been years since I last watched anything MCU related. Have they really gotten so violent these days? This seems like it'd be rated R as a movie.

Kingpin is a very viscerally violent villain.

Since Echo's power are supposed to be to mimic through observation her opponents' skills/tactics, and Kingpin was a part of her "power" development as her guardian, any show would be very violent if they are being true to the material.

That said, since her powers are not gonna be true to the material, they could have gone lighter, but it seems they chose to stay dark.

41 minutes ago, BadOlCatSylvester said:

Honestly, if I were Sony I'd try to take back Spider-Man again. I actually think they'd get cheered on and succeed this time, as Marvel's standing in genre culture has weakened drastically since Sony's first stunt back in 2019. Even a "bootleg" fourth Tom Holland movie would probably make more money than most of the forthcoming proper Marvel fare.

Sony won if you think about it. 

• Disbelief 1

45 minutes ago, BadOlCatSylvester said:

Sony would mess it up just as badly as the Amazing Spider-Man movies and their recent villain-led films.

58 minutes ago, BadOlCatSylvester said:

They aren't good at live action Spider-Man.

Amazing Spider-Man 1, 2, Morbius, Venom 1, Venom 2. Doubt Kraven and Madame Web will be any better.

Much easier to just let Disney do all the work for them and reap the profits.

They will probably only take him back if Disney makes a poorly received film with him, or a flop.

They can do that on their own, so the partnership loses all meaning.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Valencia said:

Amazing Spider-Man 1, 2, Morbius, Venom 1, Venom 2. Doubt Kraven and Madame Web will be any better.

They will probably only take him back if Disney makes a poorly received film with him, or a flop.

Lol, a very accurate summation of the situation.

1 hour ago, BadOlCatSylvester said:

100%. Spider-Man is carrying the MCU hard. The balance of power has shifted considerably. It's not a coincidence that 3/4 highest grossing post-COVID Superhero movies DOM are either Spider-Man (ATSV, NWH) or in the post-credit scene of Spider-Man (MOM).

51 minutes ago, DInky said:

Sony would mess it up just as badly as the Amazing Spider-Man movies and their recent villain-led films.

The TASM movies are better than many CBMs released today. TASM 3 is a potential $1b grosser due to nostalgia, although they will probably wait until Spider-Verse 3 is done before attempting that, to avoid over-saturation.

35 minutes ago, Valencia said:

Venom 1 and 2 are good, enjoyable movies. Similar to the Jurassic World movies and Bayformers, they are loved by the people, hated by the establishment. Morbius is iconic.

Edited by Bob Train

Holland would declare retirement if that happened lol. 

• Haha 1

13 minutes ago, Bob Train said:

The TASM movies are better than many CBMs released today. TASM 3 is a potential $1b grosser due to nostalgia, although they will probably wait until Spider-Verse 3 is done before attempting that, to avoid over-saturation.

They were both shit.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

let's come back to this comment when madam web, Kraven. venom 3, comes out, and more horror stories about Crunch for beyond the spider-verse release