Cap

THE UNMARVELOUS WEEKEND THREAD | FEATURING MELTDOWNS, ARMCHAIR ANALYSIS, AND SEXISM

3 minutes ago, Mr Impossible said:

Well it’s not like she elevated the material. She brought not real charm or charisma to the role. Emily Blunt could’ve pulled it off better with the same material.

Agreed. Someone like a Blunt or like an Emma Stone would have nailed it. Not necessarily talking about the sequel because I have not seen that yet and it wouldn't be fair for me to review a performance that I haven't seen. 

• Like 1

So, The Marvels is seriously likely to end up lower than The Flash WW ($270.633M), and has a legitimate shot at under for Domestic as well ($108.133M).

I know it was tracking low for quite a while now and expectations were being lowered almost daily, but did anyone in their wildest dreams (or nightmares?) see numbers this low coming.

I will say it makes watching the boxoffice numbers really interesting, like watching a trainwreck in slow motion.🚂

8 minutes ago, Mr Impossible said:

Biggest box office disaster of all time? Heard the budget for this is closer to $300 million and they spend at least $100 million on marketing. $200M loss for sure, maybe $300M?

Maybe relative to expectation of being safe at greenlight time, but a MCU movie will even now always do something just by habit.

Depend on the definition, giant movies like the The Adventure of Pluto Nash did not reach 10m at the box office, Heavens Gate did not do $5m and closed United Artists has an independant studio. 

John Carter, Battleship, Mars Needs Moms there is good one to compete with.

Has for the budget being close to $300m, maybe the gross $275m figure was the spending made in date of september 30, 2022, around $220m net a year before release, those COVID production cost can be wild.

Edited by Barnack

1 minute ago, Barnack said:

Maybe relative to expectation of being safe at greenlight time, but a MCU movie will even now always do something just by habit.

Depend on the definition, giant movies like the The Adventure of Pluto Nash did not reach 10m at the box office, Heavens Gate did not do $5m and closed United Artists has an independant studio. 

John Carter, Battleship, Mars Needs Moms there is good one to compete with.

I think much more was spent on marketing with The Marvels than those movies. Also what’s funny I like all those 3 movies and even The Marvels. Lol my tastes are a good indicator of floppage. 

6 minutes ago, Arlborn said:

Hard to know for sure when we are never sure on the budget or on the marketing spending, but it feels like The Flash was both more expensive and had a bigger marketing push.

It's splitting hairs at this point though, they'll probably both lose a similar fortune.

Marvels looks to make 70-80m less than me Flash worldwide 

The Marvels is another Birds of Prey, except WB were smart enough to only spend 80M on that picture. And WB usually isn't smart with its money so that's saying something. Lol

Will The Marvels sell a similar amount of tickets as Birds of Prey opening weekend?

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Mr Impossible said:

I think much more was spent on marketing with The Marvels than those movies. Also what’s funny I like all those 3 movies and even The Marvels. Lol my tastes are a good indicator of floppage. 

I feel you, so many of the movies I love (including John Carter for example) were flops and considered bad by a lot of people... I haven't watched The Marvels yet but I fully believe I'll like it as well!

Oh well, I just hope we get to see some more of Ms. Marvel somewhere, somehow. She'll probably never be a main character at MCU again, but hopefully we still get her as a secondary character in a couple of movies or shows, as she's perfectly cast.

how come the Russo brothers and screenwriters Markus and McFeely barely given credit and why have they not been hired to make more Marvel films? They made some of the highest grossing, fan and audience beloved Marvel movies and did an incredible job handling large casts, delivering terrific action and balancing the right amount of drama and humor. 

Edited by John Marston
  • Thanks 6

9 minutes ago, Zakiyyah6 said:

The Marvels is another Birds of Prey, except WB were smart enough to only spend 80M on that picture. And WB usually isn't smart with its money so that's saying something. Lol

Will The Marvels sell a similar amount of tickets as Birds of Prey opening weekend?

BoP did 33 million in 2020 ... around 39+ million in 2023.  So I guess it probably sold half a million more tickets.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, John Marston said:

how come the Russo brothers and screenwriters Markus and McFeely barely given credit and why have they not been hired to make more Marvel films? They made some of the highest grossing, fan and audience beloved Marvel movies and did an incredible job handling large casts, delivering terrific action and balancing the right amount of drama and humor. 

Because Feige is the director of those movies, not the Russos.

A director with actual vision is James Gunn, when you watch the 3 GOTG movies you recognize them as Gunn films.

• Like 2

Just now, Mojoguy said:

Because Feige is the director of those movies, not the Russos.

A director with actual vision is James Gunn, when you watch the 3 GOTG movies you recognize them as Gunn films.

then why aren't all Marvel films as beloved the Russos/Markus/McFeely films? Feige definitely has influence on The Marvels and Ant Man 3

3 minutes ago, John Marston said:

Even though I'll never forgive them for The Gray Man, I do believe that they deserve credit for their great MCU work. Winter Soldier, Civil War and Endgame were great and Infinity War was good, in my opinion. They were great solid journeyman directors for the MCU. I get the vibe that Destin Daniel Cretton could be another Russo type director for the MCU provided he isn't forced to direct a script from anymore Rick & Morty type of writers.

16 minutes ago, John Marston said:

I wonder this myself.

I hope they bring them all back for X-men.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, John Marston said:

The writers are more responsible than the Russo’s. They did Lion Witch and Wardrobe and also wrote Pain and again (which is brilliant).

Theres just no way they want to continue being in that world for so long though.

What they need is another Joss Whedon

22 minutes ago, John Marston said:

then why aren't all Marvel films as beloved the Russos/Markus/McFeely films? Feige definitely has influence on The Marvels and Ant Man 3

When I say Feige I'm saying these directors are being crushed under the weight of the MCU mandates and community film making.

You do see a slip of creativity shining though from people like Gunn, Sam Raimi, and Taikai Waititi. Basically any time you think this Marvel movie is really weird or wow this is... different its the directors breaking out from the MCU factory.

Notice how after the Russos did Endgame, they have never been heard again. 

Edited by Mojoguy

1 minute ago, ringedmortality said:

The writers are more responsible than the Russo’s. They did Lion Witch and Wardrobe and also wrote Pain and again (which is brilliant).

Theres just no way they want to continue being in that world for so long though.

What they need is another Joss Whedon

• Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, John Marston said:

how come the Russo brothers and screenwriters Markus and McFeely barely given credit and why have they not been hired to make more Marvel films?

Not sure that the case at all, in the sony leaked email the industry did seem to give a lot of credits to the Russo's at the time and a lot of money.

Gray Men got a giant budget... the super big cast, big producers to helps, it would be rare to get that kind of control of a $200 millions movie if the industry did not give you credit for those Marvels successes.

I would not assume they did not got a lot of good offer to make other Marvel films that they just refused for now, it is almost certain they did get offers, they probably wanted to try their "own" stuff a la Gray men or their production company and if they go back to franchise something different like Star Wars.

9 minutes ago, John Marston said:

then why aren't all Marvel films as beloved the Russos/Markus/McFeely films?

And why Russos-Markus-McFeely films outside the MCU are not as beloved ?